My Report on the Seattle Cigar Expo

Started by Shukpaw, 08/23/2011 05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shukpaw

So here is my short account of what I'm going to call the Seattle Cigar, Alcohol, Music, and Showgirl Expo.  I got the VIP Ticket.  It included a before party on Friday night, the expo, and an after party on Saturday night.

Friday night's event was held at Brouwer's Cafe.  We were given our VIP bags which included 18 cigars, a bottle of Goose Ridge Wine, a Xicar cutter, and a few other insignificant items.  

The food was very good.  There was a vast selection of alcohol.  The music was so loud it was hard to talk to anyone.  The place needed to be better ventilated.  The event was from 6pm to 2am.  I had one cigar and left at 9pm.  I felt like I had had 3 or 4 cigars.  I have never had my clothes so saturated with smoke.  The car still smells like smoke just from me driving for 45 minutes in it after the event.

On Saturday the VIPs got to go into the event at noon; an hour before everyone else.  They had promised some special meet and greets for the VIPs, but that didn't materialize.  

Rocky Patel was supposed to be there, but supposedly he waved off the event to go meet with the governor.  It was an 8 hour function and the capital is an hour away.  If he was actually in the state he could have done both, unless he was spending the entire day with the governor.

We were supposed to be able to meet the performers, but all but one of them showed up in time to set up and left right after they played.

Shorty Rossi was there.  He seemed pretty cool.  He was covering the A.J. Fernandez booth.

The only real advantage of being able to get in an hour early was they did not have enough places to sit in the smoking area and a lot of it was not under shade.  So the VIPs grabbed up most of the seats before everyone else.

There were 5 or 6 cigar venders and 11 or 12 other venders at the expo.  There was a lot of alcohol tasting available.  The badge in the picture below was for free tasting.  As you can see from my badge I tried 2 beers.  I'm not much of a drinker.  I would have loved a soda, and water was $2.  I wish they had put that on my badge.

The music was very good, but one of my favorite bands which had been publicized when I bought the ticket had been removed by the time of the expo.  Also, they had the volume louder than it should have been.  It made it a little challenging to talk to people out in the smoking area while the music was playing.  I enjoyed the music, but I was there to interact with other people not to attend a concert.

There was a nice selection of food.  We were given tokens for 3 samples from the restaurants and 2 from the bakeries.  Additional tokens were $3 each.  I could have used more tokens.

They had "Cigar Girls" going around getting people their water, emptying ashtrays, and cutting and lighting cigars.  Most, if not all, of the girls were from local strip clubs.  It looked like most of them had never seen, let alone cut or lit, a cigar.  It was funny watching a couple of them take a puff on a cigar.

They ended off the stage performances with a burlesque show.

The after party was held at the Vertigo Club.  I liked this club.  For the first time all weekend the music was at a level that you could talk to people.  They had lots of free alcohol and appetizers from one of the better restaurants in town, but they ran out of water and there was not a single non alcoholic drink to be found.  They had advertised for that event "Cigars hosted by JnJ Cigars, special blend "SODO" by Tatuaje"  I somehow thought from that, that we would be getting a cigar at the event from JnJ Cigars.  Probably a SODO.  That never happened.

I compared my VIP bag with one expo attendees that had bought a regular ticket.  I paid $150 more.  I got 5 more cigars, the Xicar cutter, a bottle of wine, and I got to attend the before and after parties.  He got a t-shirt that apparently the VIPs didn't get.  The whole event seemed as much about the alcohol as cigars.  For me the price of the VIP ticket was not worth it.

The expo promised many things that they later changed or didn't deliver.  They over promised.  When I bought my ticket it stated that we would get a cigar from each of the cigar companies they were listing.  That was 25 including AVO.  I also figured that with a VIP ticket I would be getting more cigars.  In the last couple weeks they changed the wording to "a Selection of Fine Cigars upon entry."  AVO was removed from the list.  When we paid for our ticket we were promised 25 cigars, and the VIPs ended up getting 18 cigars and the regular attendees got 13.  So that's $140 for 13 cigars, or $290 for 18 cigars.  I guess the alcohol was supposed to make up for the difference.  I just thinks it's poor form to have a "see what' included with your ticket" section on the expo website, then change what's included after people have bought tickets.  

I did have a good time.  It was their first year and it's hard to pull off an event like this.  I expect in future years the website will be more accurate.  Hopefully they will focus more on cigars and less on alcohol; or just call it the Seattle Cigar and Alcohol Expo.  I met some very nice people.  Many who I hope to see again.  I would like to join the Vertigo Club.  I handed out about 40 Cigar Geek business cards.  Hopefully some of the people I talked to will join the site.  I was talking to Justin Andrews, the Lou Rodriguez rep, about the site.  I was telling him about our Geek Critiques.  He gave me some Lou Rodriguez Edicion Premiere Churchills for Decembers Geek Critique.

In the picture of the 13 cigars the second from the left is a CAO MX2, the 5th one is a Don Abram, and the last one is a Room 101.  In the picture of the VIP cigars the first one is an Illusione Cruzado.
I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

lubrix

Sounded like a fun time and great score!.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Romeo

Sounded like a great time we need one of those in the Northeast
I think there's to much smoke In this cigar shop I once heard someone say before I threw them out !

ntanner

im doing little big smoke next month. hope it goes ok. sounds like youres was good but less then you hoped for.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

ROTHNH

QuoteRomeo - 8/23/2011  6:29 PM

Sounded like a great time we need one of those in the Northeast

A bit out of my way -- and not actually an expo --but CigarMasters has a lot of "events" in and around both Boston and Providence (they have B&Ms in both towns as well as in Worcester).  Their B&Ms are fairly close to you -- especially Providence (with events and dinners in Providence, Newport, etc.).  

You can sign up for their e-mails here:

www.cigarmasters.com

grabow66

If at first you dont succeed you are running about average.

vic1nick

I had contemplated spending the money for the VIP ticket, but couldn't make the other events, because of other things going on, so I bought a regular admission.
I was there in line right at 1:00 pm, and although the entry seemed a little slow, the line was in a shady area, and the cigar girls were doing some CRA signups.  
I was surprised to read that Shukpaw received only 18 cigars.  
Now, when I went in, I followed the people in front of me, and received a gift bag, and my bag had 25 cigars in it.  There were duplicates - but I thought that was part of what I got.  

I really had a great time... although next time, I'm going to drag a friend along.  I did meet some very nice people there, and the weather couldn't have been more perfect.  The entire Fisher Plaza was filled with the wonderful aromas of cigars... that in itself was intoxicating!  
I did do some sampling of the alcohol - but had to stop after 7 samples ... as I had to drive home in the evening.

Met Shorty Rossi too... wonderful man!  
Was a bit disapponted to find out Rocky Patel couldn't make it, and was also disappointed there were not more manufacturers there.  
I think the tag of things being overpromised is probably right ...
but still - had a GREAT time... smoked a couple of nice cigars (AJ Fernandez' signature robusto & an Oliveras King Havana maduro... met some great people, had enough sampling to satisfy me, and went home happy!!

metalhead y cigarguy

Sounds like a good time, but a little pricey too. I would have had that entire card punched.  :biggrin:  

For the first year it sounds like things went fairly well. Hopefully they do it again, and I'll be able to go next year.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

Shukpaw

Quotevic1nick - 8/23/2011  10:38 PM

I was surprised to read that Shukpaw received only 18 cigars.  
Now, when I went in, I followed the people in front of me, and received a gift bag, and my bag had 25 cigars in it.  There were duplicates - but I thought that was part of what I got.  

:confused:   For what I paid I should have got 18 at the VIP party and 25 at the expo.  They punched our badges at the party and at the expo we were told that if we had a punch we had received all we were going to get at the VIP party, nothing more.  At Cigarfest everyone got 60+ cigars, an ashtray, and a humidor for $110, so you can see why I might be disappointed with 18 cigars, a cutter, and a bottle of wine for $290 ($318 after taxes and fees).

vic1nick, did we meet at the expo?
I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

Hot Stuff x

Sorry to hear you were disappointed.  Unfortunately, even if they get their act together prior to next year, they may have alienated enough people this year have a negative effect on attendance to next year's event.
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

Brlesq

QuoteHot Stuff x - 8/24/2011  3:59 AM

Sorry to hear you were disappointed.  Unfortunately, even if they get their act together prior to next year, they may have alienated enough people this year have a negative effect on attendance to next year's event.

I'm also sorry to hear it cost you so much and got so little, Neil.  The real disappointment is the string of broken promises and hype.  Les has hit this nail on the head:  The event may only be worse next year, not better, and many of this year's customers might not attend again.  That has happened here with a large cigar fest that started off years ago as a big deal and has wimpered into an event where there are times that the vendors outnumber the customers and you can see it all in 20 minutes or less.  Its sad, because these can be a lot of fun.

Your attitude, however, is to be commended Neil.  It sounds as if you didn't let the didn't let the string of disappointments ruin your time there and managed to have a good time despiteo of it all.  Good for you!  :bigthumbs:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

ROTHNH

Getting fewer cigars may have been in error -- after all, it is their first year at this.  Did you check with someone of authority (i.e., one of the organizers)?  Or are you sure all other "VIPs"   got exactly the same as you did?  Sounds, by what another attendee mentions here, that may be in doubt.

You're not talking about a couple dollars here ... If there's any doubt, I would chase this rabbit 'til caught ...

nwb

It stinks that you didn't get what was promised, and Les is exactly right.  What incentive is there to attend next year's event?

Anyway, you are fortunate to have something like this in your area.  It would be nice if they did an event like this in Atlanta.
Chief of Shaft

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.