Encouragement to take up Pipe Smoking (plus How-To)

Started by The Mad Professor, 10/03/2011 10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mad Professor

Ok this is a little long, but I tried to be clear and concise.  Some of you mentioned your interest in pipe smoking was piqued.  I figured I'd give you some encouragement and maybe try to pique the interest of a few more.

Picking up pipe smoking is quite cheap and easy.  Like most endeavors, mastering it takes practice and time, but its lots of fun along the way.  Don't be discouraged by how complicated advanced smokers can make it, that's how they keep their hobby fun.  So....

Why should you smoke a pipe?
 • First, it is WAY cheaper per smoke than cigars
 • You can start smoking a pipe for $10 to $20
 • Storing pipe tobacco is easier and doesn't need to be humidified (just mason jars)
 • Many pipes are works of art too
 • You can mix your own blends
 • Some pipe blends (Virginias) age very well, similar to cigars
 • There are nearly as many types of pipe tobacco as there are cigars to chose from - therefore something for everyone
 • You can relight a pipe long after it went out without affecting the flavor of the tobacco (some smokers will take 2 days to finish a bowl!)
 • Therefore, you can set your pipe down if you need to cut your smoke short
Also...
 • Most women love the aroma of aromatic tobaccos
 • Your wife might let you smoke indoors
 • A pipe rack looks really impressive on your desk (or in your living room)
 • It's a good excuse to always have Everclear on hand (used for cleaning)
 • Your kids will love making crafts with your pipe cleaners
 • And lastly, pipe smokers are kind and wise... so if your a dumb a%#hole then it will help with your character

There are a few reasons against it too:
PAD and TAD (Pipe Acquisition Disorder/Tobacco Aqc. Dis.) can be ridiculous.  Look at an old pipe smokers cellar/collection!  
Pipes can cost a lot, and you get what you pay for (within reason) with a new pipe.  (Start with briar estate pipes, don't buy new!)
And maybe one or two more you can think of yourself... I'm trying to get you TO smoke a pipe!

How do you start?
So if you read the above list of reasons you MUST be asking yourself "Now how can I begin such a noble craft as pipe smoking for the super-low-introductory price of under $20?!"

Just get yerself:
 • a "Missouri Meerschaum" Corn Cob pipe (MM is the brand, they are the best) = $5 - $8
 • Matches = $2
 • a 3-way pipe Tamper  = $2 (or a nail or golf tee for free)
 • Pipe Cleaners = $2
 • 1.5 oz Prince Albert pipe tobacco* = $3 - $8

Go to a B&M or online retailer for the MM corn cob and the tamper.  The rest can be found at most Rite-Aid, CVS, or other drugstores.  

* (Disclaimer - Prince Albert is my recommendation for a first pipe tobacco.  Others will have their own recommendation.  Prince Albert (PA) is good old school American tobacco, without flavorings and chemicals.  It burns easy.  Its cheap and available everywhere (know as OTC or drug store tobacco).  And it tastes pretty good too - slight overtones of hazelnut to me.  Hence a good place to start.)

(more below)

The Mad Professor

Now that you got a pipe, tobacco, tamper, pipe cleaners, and matches, you need to know what to do with it all:

Instructions for use -

• Push a wad of tobacco into the bowl, do not pack too hard.  The draw should be easy, not encumbered.  You can use the tamper to pack it harder if needed later.  
• Lighting will take several matches.  Light evenly across the bowl.  Relight as necessary, it will go out.  
• Use the tamper to help the ember burn into the tobacco, with very slight pressure.  Drawing while tamping helps
• Also use the tamper, especially the poker on the 3-way, to keep the tobacco burning evenly across the bowl -- keep it flat.
• Only "pack" with the tamper if you initially packed too lightly -- try relighting first.
• Did I say relight as necessary?  Some smokers think relighting is bad, I don't know why.
• If it gurgles (you will know), stick a pipe cleaner in the stem for a min, then continue smoking
• Smoke until its all ash or leave some dottle behind (tobacco remains).  Smoke until you had enough and dump it, or smoke some and save it for later.  The choice is yours, remember this is for YOUR enjoyment.
• Lastly run a pipe cleaner through it after every smoke to keep it clean and tasty.

You should let the cob rest (and dry out) for a couple hours after emptying.  Briars should rest a day.  Meerschaum and clay pipes need no resting.

Have patience and keep trying and you'll get the hang of it quickly.

What next?
Now, if you liked it, or even if you didn't, try some other blends (Carter Hall, Half & Half, etc.) for about the same price.
And/or
Visit a good local B&M and sample their pipe tobacco blends.
And/or
Look at some websites at different pipes and tobaccos to get acclimated.  Read some reviews to get a sense of what flavors are out there.  
And/or
Look at eBay for a possible estate pipe purchase, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

After doing all the above, THEN you might want to think about buying tins from online suppliers

Sorry for the huge post(s).
Happy piping!

ROTHNH

Nicely done, Joe.

Looks like one of our admins can simply cut-and-paste it into an article to make it easier to find and read by anyone who's interested in and/or has been thinking about taking up pipe smoking  ;-)

hardeveningsuburb

:bigthumbs:

Great advice!  Starting with a cob is definitely the way to go.  No real break-in period to worry about, cheap, easily replaced, cool looking and they actually smoke really well!
"After people get to know me, they all say I drink a lot of beer. I don't deny it either. Why should I? I'm not ashamed of beer." - Richard Brautigan

The Mad Professor

Quotehardeveningsuburb - 10/3/2011  8:22 PM

and they actually smoke really well!

Very VERY true.  Some think because they are cheap they must smoke bad.  But they smoke as good as a quality briar and require much less maintenance.

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Olejay

QuoteThe Mad Professor - 10/3/2011 9:14 PM ... so if your a dumb a%#hole then it will help with your character

I was on the fence before, but now i'm convinced! :lmao:

Thanks for all the info! :shades:

Jay  

Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics - Fletcher Knebel

RoscozRevenge

QuoteOlejay - 10/3/2011  9:50 PM

QuoteThe Mad Professor - 10/3/2011 9:14 PM ... so if your a dumb a%#hole then it will help with your character

I was on the fence before, but now i'm convinced! :lmao:

Thanks for all the info! :shades:

Isn't it amazing how a skilled writer or speaker makes you feel like you are the only one in the world.  :biggrin:

Jay wanna go in on a pipe and baccy order?
"If anyone gets nosy, just...you know... shoot 'em. "
-Malcolm Reynolds

Herfin' Chef

QuoteThe Mad Professor - 10/3/2011  11:14 PM

• And lastly, pipe smokers are kind and wise... so if your a dumb a%#hole then it will help with your character

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:
-w-  
(unofficial Man of War)

Stimulating the American economy...One cigar at a time

Shukpaw

I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

nwb

Nice post.  I might have to pull out the old pipe tonight...
Chief of Shaft

87North

Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

nwb

This thread inspired me to break out my MM and have a bowl of GL Pease JackKnife Plug.  Pretty good stuff!
Chief of Shaft

dwig

Very good article.

I think I will have to hit the local pipe shop & get one of them MM's!
 :biggrin:
I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say:  Hey look.  That one is shaped like an idiot!"

wlfwalleye

Nice artical Joe.

I would also like to note that MM is switching over to Acrylic stems instead of the plastic ones. Which is a great improvement.

cocon

Good info, might have to take the leap and get started in piping.....
WOOOOO - Ric Flair

Train, say your prayers, and eat your vitamins - Hulk Hogan

87North

Quotewlfwalleye - 10/5/2011  12:01 PM

Nice artical Joe.

I would also like to note that MM is switching over to Acrylic stems instead of the plastic ones. Which is a great improvement.

Thats interesting to know.
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

metalhead y cigarguy

Good article Joe. Thanks for taking the time to post.

When I bought my pipe I got everything for about $30.  I bought a basket pipe (briar) for about $20, and I bought on the recommendation of the tobacconist 4 ounces of 1-Q tobacco from Lane Limited. He threw in the pipe tool and of course matches. Then I raided the wife's craft bin and snagged a bunch of pipe cleaners. I don't smoke it much, but I think I've gotten past the breaking in point of the briar.

I like to smoke my pipe when I want something really mild. I've found it nice for an occasional morning smoke. I'm almost out of my 1-Q tobacco, so I'm going to have to try something new the next time I make a purchase.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

Brlesq

Very nicely written.  Thanks for the contribution.  I'm sure you have inspired a few folks to try out a pipe!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

metalhead y cigarguy

All this talk about pipes has me smoking my pipe this morning. Enjoying a nice dark roast cup of coffee with it.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

1sgjeffward

Thanks for all the great info really appreciate it very insightful and thorough! Mornings and 1 particular period of the day is exactly what I'm thinking of it for. Never really enough time for a cigar but a pipe however.... Both of my grandfathers smoked pipes, dad did for awhile and I remember them Just sitting their pipes down and relighting and smoking a bowl over little periods throughout the day. Have a 40min break in between 2 of my classes etc.

Think I'm going to give it a shot. My local B&M has a fairly decent selection of tobacco and pipes so even if I don't buy there can pick up a few cigars and definitely get a hands on feel and smell of the pipes and tobacco before I do.

Learning alot reading these post and going to follow a bunch of the links. Sure I will be back with tons of noob questions cause unlike the cigars this is one that I have never tried and no NOTHING about.

Thanks guys,
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

Ken Kelley

With all the praises being sung about the lowly corncob pipe, I want all you northeren and eastern types to pause for a moment of reflection the next time you're tempted to make fun of hillbillies! Or, as we prefer to call ourselves....Appalachian-Americans.  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

1sgjeffward

Doesn't mean we cant call ya'll (emphasis on the ya'll) hicks  :biggrin:
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

ROTHNH

Hopefully, Paul or an Admin can place The Mad Professor's info into an Article here ...

vw77guy

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.