Dr. Philip's Pipes (1951-2011)

Started by mike46, 11/25/2011 08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike46

A friend of mine gave me an old magazine from 1951, the BIG-BOOK WESTERN MAGAZINE, sort of a western/cowboy adventure-story pulp magazine with ads, etc.  I see an ad in there for Dr. Philip's pipes, what you would call a revolutionary design for 1951 I guess, replaceable ceramic bowls and supposedly a lot of features for pipe smokers.  So I google it and they are still available.  The 1951 price was about $5, there were two sizes, the short and long smoke model.  Both came with four extra ceramic bowls which somehow fit into the outside briar bowl.  Here's the link for more info and when you are in there, there is a window for ordering.  Sounds sort of interesting.

http://www.drphilipspipe.com/about-the-philips-pipe

They sell now for about $50.  Anyone here ever see these or smoke them?

ntanner

interesting, never seen a pipe with a ceramic bowl that you can change.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

McBryde

That looks like a pretty cool design.

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Hot Stuff x

There is a line of pipes called "Falcon" that have a metal stem and bowl base, and the bowls are replaceable/swappable.  So you could have a 7-pipe rotation using the same stem every time and just rotating the bowls.

http://www.4noggins.com/falconpipes.aspx
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

mike46

QuoteHot Stuff x - 2/2/2012  6:33 AM

There is a line of pipes called "Falcon" that have a metal stem and bowl base, and the bowls are replaceable/swappable.  So you could have a 7-pipe rotation using the same stem every time and just rotating the bowls.

http://www.4noggins.com/falconpipes.aspx

I remember those from the 50's when I was a kid.  An old fella in the neighbourhood used to come into the local (small) grocery store where we used to hang out.  He had one, that middle tube in the stem supposedly cooled the smoke right?  He used to buy Old Chum in a silver pack with black lines on the pattern and a Sherlock Holmes hunting cap on the label.  We used to follow him out of the store to get a whiff of the great-smelling smoke.  We occasionally tried smoking pipes back then but the smell seemed much better than the taste to a 14-year old.  On the website, I can't see a picture of the stems and bowls together, just separate.

horrido

That is pretty cool looks like a mini furnace.
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

ilovetobacco

Wow, those look incredible. Thanks for the head's up! I've never tried a ceramic bowl pipe, but I used to have a pipe with a metal bowl by VM&EM that smoked wonderfully.
-Will

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.