How hard would it be....

Started by McBryde, 12/18/2011 02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McBryde

to make your own pipe? Has anyone ever tried it? I would think the corncob one would be really really easy to make with a drill and some 9mm mouthpieces. I do woodworking, and was just wondering if anyone has ever tried to make one, and know how hard it might be to make one say out of a piece of oak? I have some really beautiful oak right now, just wanted to now how hard it might be before I take a dive into it.

I have lost my pipe in the moves I made after college somewhere along the way, and would like to get back into pipe smoking.

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

vw77guy

I actually use a pipe that I made out of oak when I was in high school almost on a daily basis.  I spun it out on the wood lathe years ago and I haven't had any problems with it.  The first few burns have a bit of oak, but once you've piled up enough tar in the bowl, it's all smoke baby!

grabow66

Ive never made my own pipe but you can buy one of those kits that come with a stem and a block of briar to carve your own with.
If at first you dont succeed you are running about average.

87North

You can also buy undrilled briar Ebauchan blocks on Ebay for pipe making.
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

McBryde

I cut wood for turning pens, game calls, bottle stoppers, and stuff like that already, so I might just have to cut me out a few pieces and give it a whirl. I have some of the most beautiful looking oak i have ever cut right now that would look absolutely gorgeous as a pipe if I didn't screw it up. I have the lathe, and all the stuff to make it probably, just have to figure it all out. What size hole did you use for the "handle" to go into the bowl wv77guy? Also, what size did you use to drill out the "handle"?

Thanks,

Emerson

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

horrido

Look on the net for a show called `How`s it Made`. They had an episode on pipe making actually very interesting and gives an idea how they do it. :-)
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

Ken Kelley

Go to the plumbing supply section at your local Lowe's and...oh, wait! It's a pipe for smoking TOBACCO you want to build!  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

lubrix

QuoteAlphairon - 12/18/2011  3:54 PM

Go to the plumbing supply section at your local Lowe's and...oh, wait! It's a pipe for smoking TOBACCO you want to build!  :biggrin:
Hilarious!.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

McBryde

Thanks for the "How it's made", I'll have to look that up.

E

p.s.- Tobacco, not gunpowder, Alphairon, LOL.

vw77guy

QuoteMcBryde - 12/18/2011  12:56 PM

I cut wood for turning pens, game calls, bottle stoppers, and stuff like that already, so I might just have to cut me out a few pieces and give it a whirl. I have some of the most beautiful looking oak i have ever cut right now that would look absolutely gorgeous as a pipe if I didn't screw it up. I have the lathe, and all the stuff to make it probably, just have to figure it all out. What size hole did you use for the "handle" to go into the bowl wv77guy? Also, what size did you use to drill out the "handle"?

Thanks,

Emerson

It's been years since I've made that pipe.  I remember that finding a drill bit that was small in diameter but long enough to go through the stem was a challenge.  Not sure what I went with, but I would have liked to find something smaller.  As for the dimentions, It's all eye balled.  It wasn't that hard really.  I'm sure someone with some skill and eperience could make something really nice.  Good luck, Post pics when your done.

sam a

hey man... i've acually been making pipes lately and i love it. first off i'd say it certainly isn't easy, but if you like making things with your hands and such, you would probably find it rewarding... i know i do. also do not use oak... it will taste like piss. i'd recommend picking up a predrilled kit from mark tinsky, that way you can focus on shaping and not have to worry about having to get the plumbing right. check out pipemakersforum.com there are lots of helpful tips over there to get you started.
Any cigars portrayed in this post that appear to be Cuban in origin are completely fictional in nature. Any resemblance between these cigars and actual Cuban cigars is unintended and purely coincidental.

McBryde

Thanks for the info Sam. I'll have to check that out. That isn't what I wanted to hear about the oak, LOL. This is some of the prettiest oak I have ever seen, and it would make a sweet looking pipe. Here are some pen blanks cut from it:

Photobucket

E

McBryde

WV77guy - Did yours taste like piss to begin with? Does it now?

E

sam a

QuoteMcBryde - 12/22/2011  9:38 AM

Thanks for the info Sam. I'll have to check that out. That isn't what I wanted to hear about the oak, LOL. This is some of the prettiest oak I have ever seen, and it would make a sweet looking pipe. Here are some pen blanks cut from it:

Photobucket

E

that is some nice oak indeed... make some pens with it, or anything that you aren't gonna smoke from for that matter. the main problem (besides red oak tasting of urine) with oak is that it is that it is to porous to make a pipe that will smoke well. morta is a kind of petrified bog oak is pretty popular for making pipes, but that is a different thing altogether. your best bet is briar, most pipe makers and pipe smokers agree that it is the wood best suited for pipes. briar has been the standard for ages for good reason.
Any cigars portrayed in this post that appear to be Cuban in origin are completely fictional in nature. Any resemblance between these cigars and actual Cuban cigars is unintended and purely coincidental.

sullivan8078

That is some beautiful looking wood!
-David
"Ceiling fan stirs the air, cigar smoke did swirl."- J.B.

horrido

That is some very nice wood I would love to make a humidor out of it. :-)
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

gitfiddl

QuoteAlphairon - 12/18/2011  4:54 PM

I never needed to do that, having been a trumpet player back in the day.  Wait, I did need to replace the aerator from the bathroom faucet before Dad got home...
 :shades:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

McBryde

Horrido, do you make humidors yourself? I know some guys on my woowdorking forum that make some that are absolutely beautiful. I am more of a roundwork person than a flatwork guy.

E

McBryde

Quotesam a - 12/22/2011  2:18 PM

QuoteMcBryde - 12/22/2011  9:38 AM

Photobucket

E

that is some nice oak indeed... make some pens with it, or anything that you aren't gonna smoke from for that matter. the main problem (besides red oak tasting of urine) with oak is that it is that it is to porous to make a pipe that will smoke well. morta is a kind of petrified bog oak is pretty popular for making pipes, but that is a different thing altogether. your best bet is briar, most pipe makers and pipe smokers agree that it is the wood best suited for pipes. briar has been the standard for ages for good reason.

Bog oak is definately a whole different game. It is really expensive as well!

E

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.