Nub Premier in Charlotte, NC

Started by Turboknat, 06/05/2008 06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turboknat

Well, I was able to attend the Oliva Nub Premier Event last night that was held at the Sunset Club in Charlotte, NC.  Jose Oliva was present, and it was great getting to talk one on one with him about Nicaragua and cigars and the government there.  He was a very nice, easy going guy, and was very interested in what people had to say.  Very approachable.  Also present was the creator of the Nub cigars, Sam (?).  I can't find the correct spelling of his last name just yet.  He had a rolling table set up and was giving rolling demonstrations and answered any questions anyone would have.  There were alot of people there enjoying cigars, and many from my local cigar club were present.  

They gave out three cigars to each person as they entered to taste test, one of each wrapper type:  Connectticut, Cameroon, and Habano.  I had the Conn and the Cam, the Cam being my favorite, while bringing the Habano one home for later.  For both cigars, I enjoyed one of my favorite drinks, a Bombay Sapphire Gin Martini with, of course, three olives in each one.

They also had a drawing for a pretty neat looking Mini Cooper.  I didn't win.

All in all it was a fun evening!!!

burn1

Sounds like it was a good time I am supposed to be going to the one at Leaf and Ale in Knoxville on the 12th I believe. And I think it is Sam Lechia or something to that effect

Turboknat

That does sound like the correct last name.  He was rolling some really cool looking cigars.  One was shaped like a smoking pipe.  Another was made with different wrappers and looked like a pool cue.  Really cool items.

Turboknat

He was rolling some really cool looking cigars.  One was shaped like a smoking pipe.  Another was made with different wrappers and looked like a pool cue.  Really cool items.

burn1

looked it up had the spelling wrong it is Leccia and I think that he will be in Knoxville. I have always wanted to see someone roll one live have seen it plenty on video but live would be cool

mhuss

Quoteburn1 - 6/6/2008  8:01 PM
I have always wanted to see someone roll one live have seen it plenty on video but live would be cool

If you get the chance, definitely do it.  It's really interesting to stand there and pay really close attention to what they're doing, while they're doing it.  I had the pleasure once in Bethlehem, outside the CI store.  The MusikFest festival was going on that night and CI had a roller outside the store.  He was rolling fresh cigars for customers as they were passing by.  Needless to say, I had to pick one up and give it a try.  And boy, it was terrific!

burn1

I hope that I get to Knoxville then, they say the fresh rolled are fantastic and with your experience I guess they are

Turboknat

Definately do, and ask him questions if you want.  People were just standing there slack jawed, and I seemed to be the only one asking him questions about what he was looking for, techniques, and such.  He was very cool about answering anything.  It was a great way to learn and see in action.

mhuss

Quoteburn1 - 6/6/2008  9:17 PM
I hope that I get to Knoxville then, they say the fresh rolled are fantastic and with your experience I guess they are

Do yourself a favor and give it shot.  I think you'll love it!  I did!

I will now submit that tape to the Ginsu Knives infomercial production team.   :rolleyes:

incredible_elmo

Hey Clint -

Sorry I missed you guys on this one.  Was there a cover or registration charge?  I haven't been at the Tinderbox much lately, so I didn't see this one going on at the Sunset Club.  Was Doug there?  The cigar rolling exhibition sounded awesome.

Take care,

Mikel

Turboknat

Doug wasn't able to make it.  They did charge $10.00 to get into this one.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.