Back from FSS 2008 BBQ

Started by Ray240, 06/08/2008 07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray240

Hey all,

As most of you know I attended the Famous Smoke Shop Second Annual Cigar Expo and BBQ this past Saturday. This was my first cigar event and i must say it was completely worth it. The only complaint i had was the heat. Of course because i attended it was the hottest day of the year so far, the temperature actually hit about 98 degrees in PA yesterday which put a little of a damper on eating and drinking (alcohol) but we didn't let the heat spoil our day, we still had a blast. My girlfriend and i got there right at noon, checked in and grabbed a beer. We then proceeded to get in line for the vendor handouts where we were given very nice shoulder bags to carry all the goodies in. Then it all started! we were handed cigars left and right! some gave one, two and sometimes three cigars, some vendors let you choose one from their line and some let you choose based on your preference of mild, medium or full bodied sticks. During our mind blowing excursion through the tent of glory (i named it the tent of glory) i had the opportunity to meet and shake hands with Jonathan Drew and Rocky Patel. We also got to meet the CAO Flavourettes and I got an autographed picture from Playboy Magazines Miss May 2007 Shannon James (the girlfriend loved that part..lol). By the end of the tent i think we ended up with about 42 cigars each (and she doesn't smoke cigars). I actually had to send about 30 home with the girlfriend to put in her brother's humidor because i had no more room. I just added the ones i have to my virtual humidor, i listed them all as being purchased on 6/7/08 so check out my humidor if you get a chance to get a glimpse of the kind of stuff they were handing out. Then we ate and drank and i looked through my loot like a kid looks through his halloween bag! While we sat they started raffling off stuff like crazy. We both bought a bunch of raffle tickets when we first got there and i would up winning a box of 20 Alec Bradley Tempus Centuria's. They are a churchill size and come uncellophaned, the manager of FSS handed them to me and said he didn't know too much about them because they are pretty new. All i know is that they look and smell fantastic and from what i read online the size i won is the most highly rated.

Anyway, for anyone who is close enough to Pennsylvania i would reccomend attending next years event, i know i'm going to try and make it a yearly thing. It would be fun to get a few people together and represent CG.com. I had a blast but i know ot would be even more fun with a group of people, especially fellow BOTL. I didn't get to take as many pictures as i wanted to, but the ones i did get are on the girlfriends digital camera so i'll try to post those as soon as possible. Take care everybody.

SenorPablo

Sounds like a great time.  Can't wait to see the pics.  If you like Pepins, those 601s are going to be a treat.  Congrats on winner a box on the raffle as well!  Sounds like you really got your money's worth.  You're right about the heat this weekend, it was crazy hot here in MD and the humidity was unbearable.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

burn1

Nice to hear you had a blast. Those AB Tempus are supposed to be pretty strong hope you enjoy them and all the other sticks you received. I saw you got a couple John Hay smokes to made in PA I would like to know what you think about them

Ray240

Quoteburn1 - 6/8/2008  9:49 PM

I saw you got a couple John Hay smokes to made in PA I would like to know what you think about them

That's funny you mentioned the John Hay's, i think one of the guys at our table was smoking one and it smelled really good. I didn't expect to find them in the database at all. gonna smoke one pretty soon, i'll let you know what i think.

mhuss

Sounds like a really great time, Ray!  Since this event is just about in my back yard, I'll seriously have to consider going next year.  How were the crowds?  Were there a ton of people there?  I've been to beer festivals in the past, and they get totally crowded.  At some points of the event, it gets almost impossible to move around the room.  And that makes things a little more difficult to navigate.  But it sounds like it would be well-worth it, given all the cigars you got your hands on!  Sounds like the food and drink were worth it, as well.  Can't wait for the pics!

Ray240

Quotemhuss - 6/9/2008  8:24 AM

Sounds like a really great time, Ray!  Since this event is just about in my back yard, I'll seriously have to consider going next year.  How were the crowds?  Were there a ton of people there?

It was actually a two day event and they only sold 300 total tickets for each day. considering the size of the place the crowd was not bad at all and as long as they continue to limit tickets again next year i don't think it would change much. The only line we stood in was for the line for the vendor handouts and that wasn't really that bad. everything else was easy to navigate. The retail store is pretty small compared to the CI superstore down the street but we spent limited time inside anyway.

mhuss

That definitely sounds right up my alley.  So this place is right near CI's superstore?  That's where I usually go.  Hell, if it's that close, I think the next time I'm up that way, I'll check out FSS instead.  I'll definitely check into this for next year.  It sounds like a great event.  And they limit the number of folks that can attend, that's all the better.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.