Lights

Started by Astronaut318i, 07/03/2008 10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Astronaut318i

So, whats your light of choice?

I'm ashamed to say mine is just a Bic. Matches when I can light in shelter from the wind, but 9/10 its a bic.

nukbucko

wood mathes, and when I dont have any I also use a BIC
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

Duker511

I always use a bic. :biggrin:
Tim

junglepete

I use a Brunton Storm windproof butane lighter. Some friends pitched in and bought me one from EMS back in January during 'Mancation'.  It's really great for toasting. Before that, a bic or wooden matches.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

SenorPablo

I've got a Xikar butane.  Works pretty good.
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

paulian3

Usually a book of paper matches, or a bic, or an old dunhill rollagas.  The rollagas looks the classiest, but the paper matches work the most reliably.

PI

Turboknat

I really like my Xikar two burner torch lighter.  Sucks down the fuel, but I do like it alot.

nukbucko

I like to save my money for cigars not fancy lighters
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."  -Some Dude I don't Know

Astronaut318i

I have to admit I'm interested in a dedicated pipe lighter as my next big smoking tool purchase, but for now, the bic really does fine in most cases.

bslatner

QuoteTurboknat - 7/4/2008  11:28 AMI really like my Xikar two burner torch lighter.  Sucks down the fuel, but I do like it alot.

I agree with you there. I have the same Xikar. I have to refill it about ever 5 cigars, but it sure does the job.

stogie_foggie

I have a Solo Trek torch lighter that also doubles as a great camping lighter.  Very reliable but like everyone else, sucks the fuel.  Plus, it really only works with the 5 times filtered butane but that is not big deal.

In a pinch, I use wood matches but the torch lighter works best.  Oh, and I got this on sale for about $10.
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

Duker511

My girlfriend bought me some "cigar" matches. They are low sulfur and are supposed to be almost odorless. I havent tried them yet but Im interested to see how much different they are than regular matches. :confused:
Tim

Astronaut318i

Oooh cigar matches. Sounds enticing.

mhuss

I have a butane lighter, but it's not working right now.  I gotta take it back to CI and get somebody there to look at it.  From what I understand, when my wife bought it for me for Christmas, they had a hard time getting it to light.  Now I'm having the same problem.  So for now, it's either matches or a bic.

jomama20

i use a plumbing torch. works perfect everytime! i can actually light with out buring the cigar.

qman22

I use an S.T. Dupont X-Tends Mini.  Got a good deal on it on cbid.  It is small enough to fit in my pocket comfortably and holds alot of fuel for a small lighter.  Hard to justify the price, but I like to spoil myself sometimes :biggrin:
Lets GOOOOOOOO Mountaineers!

Proph

I prefer long cigar matches.. usually can get a cigar lit properly with only 1 or two depending on windage..

I fall back on lighters or other random things if I don't have any wooden matches.  

"Do not be too timid or squeamish about your actions, all life is an experiment." -Ralph W. Emerson

Astronaut318i

Just a reminder...this is really about what we're using to light our pipes, not cigars.

Proph

Oh.. well.. then the same applies.  When I smoked a pipe I found it easier to use matches than any kind of lighter.. but, not getting the hang of keeping it lit annoyed me, and I stopped smoking a pipe.  I did use a cheap dollar store lighter once in a while though cause they are easy to modify so the flame is like 4 inches long.  Heh

I lit my pipe with a cigar once.  That worked pretty well actually.

I kinda wish I could master keeping the pipe lit without having to sit there puffing and keeping it so hot it tastes bad or relighting often which also ruins the taste.

I tried different kinds of packing density.. tobaccos.. nothing seemed to work.  I'm using an old pipe like this one:

http://chateaupetrogasm.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/magritte-pipe.jpg

"Do not be too timid or squeamish about your actions, all life is an experiment." -Ralph W. Emerson

Astronaut318i

It certainly is a happy medium, isnt it? Puffing enough to keep it going but not enough for it to burn hot?

With bics you definately have to be careful not to burn it too much or it'll be nasty for sure.

Proph

I dunno.. never found that happy medium.. got too annoyed to enjoy it so gave it up and went back to cigars.

nukbucko

I never had a pipe or smoked from a pipe I would like too.
I dont know what to look for in a pipe.

Astronaut318i

A big bowl...other than that...I just choose what looks nice.

mhuss

QuoteAstronaut318i - 7/7/2008  4:00 PM
Just a reminder...this is really about what we're using to light our pipes, not cigars.

Whoops.....I didn't even take notice of what Forum this thread was in.  My bad.

Astronaut318i

Its okay. I realize that I often just click from the home page directly to threads as well.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.