So how do you guys undertake your preservation

Started by 87North, 04/12/2012 08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

87North

I was just wondering... When y'all jar up a big batch of bulk tobacco, how do you store it in Mason Jars.  Do you just jar it and put the lid on, or do you seal the jars before cellaring?
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

wlfwalleye

If the mason jars are BRAND NEW they are sterelized at the factory. Place tobacco in jars leaving a 1/4 inch gap at the top if possible, wipe the glass rim with a clean dry cloth to remove any
tobacco bits, screw on lid finger tight + a little extra (overtightening could cause the seal to fail) place in a cool dry place (preferably away from a light source) and let er sit for a week. After a week push down
tops to check for a seal. If the tops repedily click when pressed, give the ring a little snugging and recheck after another week. This system has worked for me for 15+ years and I have never had mold of dried out tobacco.

metalhead y cigarguy

I don't have enough pipe tobacco to worry about storing.

I did see a video on YouTube with a guy using mason jars and then before storing away he poured hot wax over the lids. Not sure if that helps or not, but I guess it's another method. :confused:
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

ilovetobacco

I just use Mason jars that are clean, new or used. I've had some bulks in store in the same jar for about a year and they still taste just as fresh.
If it's an English, you can even get away with using a cork-lidded jar, but that's if you like letting your Englishes dry a bit, which I do.
-Will

horrido

Usually I just light them up and hope for the best...... :biggrin: Just being smart ass.
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

Ringadingh

I think the hot wax is a bit overkill, a good sealing jar is more than good.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.