A wet Cigar

Started by freakydeakydutchman, 05/07/2012 05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freakydeakydutchman

have any of you heard of this?  :-0  :-0  :-0

http://cigars.ie/reviews/smoking-a-wet-ramon-allones-small-club-corona/

i'm still in shock.. i cant even write anymore.....
"when a guy does something stupid once, well that's because he's a guy. But if he does the same stupid thing twice, that's usually to impress some girl."
Dr. Suess

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=freakydeakydutchman

Cfickter

Wow, new to me.  I think I would wet an expensive stick before I would try one of my Ligas
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Ringadingh

I think it a silly gimmick, but I may even try it one day, Although it won't be with one of my really good cigars.

Rebecca Silverwolf

This seems very weird to me. I'll pass on this idea, I think.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Brlesq

I'm game to give it a try!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Hot Stuff x

I've heard of it, never tried it.  I think he held it under the tap too long.

I've also heard of people dunking thier cigar in brandy before cutting.  Same concept, I guess.
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

hardeveningsuburb

This seems about as valid to me as those folks who proclaim "the only way to light a cigar is to use strips of cedar."  I've lit cigars with matches, cedar strips, butane torch lighters, butane soft flame lighters, and soft flame fluid lighters (i.e. Zippo, Bic).  And you know what?  They all worked well enough and I could detect few, if any, flavor differences based on lighting method.  The cigars I lit with cedar tasted just as good as the ones I lit with matches and butane torches.  The only one I wouldn't use again was the soft flame fluid lighter, as it seemed to impart the flavor of lighter fluid into my cigar.  But that aside, all are perfectly acceptable lighting methods.

Wetting a cigar down before smoking it just seems pointless, especially if the cigar has been stored in a properly maintained humidor.  But you know, whatever floats your boat.  If you want to smoke a wet cigar, go ahead.  I just think the whole thing seems like more pointless gimmickry.
"After people get to know me, they all say I drink a lot of beer. I don't deny it either. Why should I? I'm not ashamed of beer." - Richard Brautigan

horrido

OMG that is strange but hey it beats the alternative of sticking it in your arse and seeing if the taste and burn is different but maybe not as a moist? Where the heck is Bob he needs to finish what I started....IMO. :biggrin:
"As you approach thirty, you have a thirty ring gauge; as you approach fifty, you have a fifty ring gauge."
-- Cuban saying

uplander12ga

:-0 I think I'll pass on this concept....
Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it, everything fades away, your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. ~Raul Julia

Vanilla Gorilla

Strange. Never heard of that before, but interesting nonetheless.
Forever seaching for the perfect cigar, one puff at a time.

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

nwb

Interesting - haven't heard of this.  Might give it a try in the future.
Chief of Shaft

87North

I'd have never thought of it, but I've seen a few old timers put most of a cigar in their mouth to moisten it before cutting and lighting, and this isn't all that far from that...  I might give it a whirl one day...   :confused:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

Hot Stuff x

I could see doing this if a cigar's wrapper was a bit dry and you want to prevent the wrapper cracking and peeling.  But as pointed out by Chris above, if properly humidified why bother?
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

Shukpaw

I'm going to have to give this a try.  I have seen guys lick their cigars before lighting them.  Running it under water seems to make more sense.
I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

freakydeakydutchman

i guess it is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.. but i dont think im gonna try it,, the stuff you will find when you are just surfin the internets!
"when a guy does something stupid once, well that's because he's a guy. But if he does the same stupid thing twice, that's usually to impress some girl."
Dr. Suess

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=freakydeakydutchman

vw77guy

Wierd.  I'm kinda cheep, so I don't think I'm up for any mistakes if I were to try it.

doubleott05

Quotehardeveningsuburb - 5/8/2012  9:33 AM

This seems about as valid to me as those folks who proclaim "the only way to light a cigar is to use strips of cedar."  I've lit cigars with matches, cedar strips, butane torch lighters, butane soft flame lighters, and soft flame fluid lighters (i.e. Zippo, Bic).  And you know what?  They all worked well enough and I could detect few, if any, flavor differences based on lighting method.  The cigars I lit with cedar tasted just as good as the ones I lit with matches and butane torches.  The only one I wouldn't use again was the soft flame fluid lighter, as it seemed to impart the flavor of lighter fluid into my cigar.  But that aside, all are perfectly acceptable lighting methods.

Wetting a cigar down before smoking it just seems pointless, especially if the cigar has been stored in a properly maintained humidor.  But you know, whatever floats your boat.  If you want to smoke a wet cigar, go ahead.  I just think the whole thing seems like more pointless gimmickry.

you know i have heard of all that crap too and other than zippo liquid fluid ( i will never do that again bleh) they are all the same in my book

and a clean burning butane cigar torch will light that sucker 4x faster than a damn match since i perfer to toast.

as far as a wet cigar....prob be a new fad and then wear back out
-Elliot
Be my friend on facebook (be sure to identify your self as a geek)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/elliot.youngstrom

Link to my Humidor
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=doubleott05

wlfwalleye

Never heard of this before.

I wonder if it makes a difference on different types of wrappers?

Do would think it might work better with a cameroon or corojo than a broadleaf or maduro?

nwb

Quotewlfwalleye - 5/8/2012  12:20 PM
Do would think it might work better with a cameroon or corojo than a broadleaf or maduro?

I'd be more inclined to use it on a thick wrapper like maduor or broadleaf.... :confused:
Chief of Shaft

Bob Cordell

I dont think I would try this with an expensive cigar, I'd be afraid it would come apart on me!
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

wlfwalleye

Quotenwb - 5/8/2012  11:53 AM

Quotewlfwalleye - 5/8/2012  12:20 PM

I'd be more inclined to use it on a thick wrapper like maduor or broadleaf.... :confused:

I was wondering if the water would keep the thinner wrapper a little bit cooler as it burned, thus slightly altering the flavor? :confused:

I might have to do an experiment with a couple different types and see what happens.

nwb

Quotewlfwalleye - 5/8/2012  1:07 PM
I was wondering if the water would keep the thinner wrapper a little bit cooler as it burned, thus slightly altering the flavor? :confused:

I might have to do an experiment with a couple different types and see what happens.

Possibly.  Let us know how the experiment works out.
Chief of Shaft

Bob Cordell

Bill Clinton pulled it off pretty well...
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.