Pipes and Tobacco at CI

Started by MT21, 05/19/2012 09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT21

I see that this is up on their home page.  I'm not a pipe smoker (yet) but I'll have to check it out.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

87North

I noticed that a while back...
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

rumrunner88

I'm thinking about getting out of the pipe game, decided it is just not for me. I'll probably be liquidating my collection shortly.

toby2

Quoterumrunner88 - 5/19/2012 12:33 PM I'm thinking about getting out of the pipe game, decided it is just not for me. I'll probably be liquidating my collection shortly.

pics and prices?

rumrunner88

I'll get 'em up when I get back next week

1sgjeffward

I'm still struggling with the pipe. I like the tobacco's and pipes I have but for some reason just seems to be a chore for me? Still can't quite get the packing right but going to give it a few more weeks then I might be right there with you Casper :cry:
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

metalhead y cigarguy

Quote1sgjeffward - 5/19/2012  10:52 PM

I'm still struggling with the pipe. I like the tobacco's and pipes I have but for some reason just seems to be a chore for me? Still can't quite get the packing right but going to give it a few more weeks then I might be right there with you Casper :cry:

You know what they say... practice makes perfect, and it takes a lot of practice.  :biggrin:
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

wlfwalleye

Quote1sgjeffward - 5/20/2012  12:52 AM

Jeff, try this method to start. This is the way my gramps taught me and it works really well. Once you have a feel for how the tobacco should feel in the pipe you can try other methods of packing. I still from time to time mess up packing a pipe and I have been doing it for 16+ years.

http://youtu.be/0XHYPso7TXs

gitfiddl

Quotewlfwalleye - 5/20/2012  5:05 AM

Jeff, try this method to start. This is the way my gramps taught me and it works really well. Once you have a feel for how the tobacco should feel in the pipe you can try other methods of packing. I still from time to time mess up packing a pipe and I have been doing it for 16+ years.

That's the way my Dad taught me as well.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

ROTHNH

Quotegitfiddl - 5/20/2012  8:55 AM

Quotewlfwalleye - 5/20/2012  5:05 AM

That's the way my Dad taught me as well.

It's really an art -- the packing I mean ... and it's complicated ... it's not just about how firmly you press that tobacco down in the pipe bowl.

I think it starts with a clean pipe (every time) and the actual pipe itself (that's a big reason why many of us mention the corncob as a first pipe -- besides it's low price, it is very forgiving).
m
Then there's the tobacco itself.  How moist is it -- does it need airing?  If so for how long?  Or is it too dry?   How is this tobacco cut -- does it need to be snipped or does it need some rubbing?  Once deemed ready, how the tobacco "feels" as it is packed is important ... if the pre-light draw is too loose, try packing it down some and if it's to tight, use a pipe tool to loosen the tobacco up a bit.

When all is said and done, I think it just takes time.  It took me a long time to actually get the nuances of pipe smoking.   In many ways, smoking the pipe is more complicated than cigars.

Pipe smoking isn't for everyone.  But for me, the effort has been quite rewarding and has provided much enjoyment over the years.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.