Morning y'all. We did this a couple of years ago, everyone introduced themselves, etc.
As many new people as there are now, we should do it again. I'd like to see everyone post on this thread, lurkers and posters, veterans and newbies, all y'all.
It would be great if you would post a picture as well.
The format is:
1. Who you are, age, etc.
2. How long you’ve been smoking cigars.
3. Where you live and why.
4. What you do for a living.
5. Whatever you’d like to share about your family.
6. What your hobby’s are.
7. Why you frequent this forum.
8. Why you picked the user name you have.
9. Why you picked the avatar you use.
10. Anything else ya want to tell us.
OK, so, to get things started;
1. Hello, I’m Kevin, I’m 52.
2. I’ve been smoking cigars for 8 years now.
3. I live between Baton Rouge and Lafayette, Louisiana. I moved here for work 10 years ago.
4. I am a Reliability Engineer in a chemical plant.
5. I have 3 kids; a son that is 28; a daughter that is 22; and a daughter that is 16. And my special pretty woman, she’s in the pic below.
6. Cigars are my #1 hobby. I also LOVE to fish, and south Louisiana is a fantastic place for fishing. I prefer salt to fresh, and the marsh is my favorite place to be, I could live on the water. I ride motorcycles (both street and dirt), and enjoy fixing everything myself, so I am often in my workshop all weekend long.
7. I frequent Cigar Geeks because of the friendly, helpful, good people; I looked around at other cigar forums but found them to be a PITA.
8. “wescat” was a nickname that my friends called me in high school.
9. My avatar is the icon from CRA; I think we all should be CRA members.
10. I’m a bit of a Camacho fan. I collect their Liberty series.
One other point that I would like to make; please fill in your location in your profile so that it displays when you post. It helps to savvy a post if you know where the poster is from.
Post up y’all!
Oh, and the pic below is of me and Miss Cherise, sitting in the atrium of the Ritz Carlton in NoLa, a couple of years ago.
i've been serious about premium cigars for a little over two years. i've been smoking cigars for maybe 15 years. i got started when i quit smoking cigarettes. my wife couldn't take it so she went to the cigar shop and got me a box of cheapies. kentucky cherroots and i smoked those for ever. i was in an accident and my jaw got dislocated. the cherroots had too hard of a draw and one thing lead to another.
Fortson GA, there are a few cities and an Army base that make up this area. our sheriff keeps the crazies out and the schools are very good.
property and small business owner, HVAC. (that means i work around the clock)
a great wife, one boy 21, another 5 and one girl, my heart, 9.
hobbies are hotrods, Harley's and cigars.
after reading a few forums this one seemed more like me. i'm not a rule crazy person and i blv laws are there to be broken.
its my name.
Steph and i love the Bleach series and i identify with that character
(me in the smoking and music cave)
the edit: Steph says no pics of her till next month. haha you how these perty girls are....
1. Im Patrick, and im 22
2. Ive been smoking cigars for about a year, but had the ocasional one since i was 18
3. I live in edmonton, AB, and i moved here for schooling in architectural technology.
4. I work as a home designer.
5. i have my parents and sister.
6. smoking cigars and having fun with friends
7. i come here because of the helpful people, and that its a good way to blow off steem with the jokes around here
8. pferg is my nickname from friends, and its just an abrebviation of my first and last name.
9. i havent put an avatar up yet. not sure what to use
2. I've been smoking cigars in earnest again for about 4 years after about a 10 year break.
3. I live in the southernmost city in Georgia: Jacksonville, FL. I wound up here because NAS Cecil Field was my Dad's last duty station in the USN. My wife, Diana, and our son, Hunter live in the same house I grew up in. Dad made us an offer we couldn't refuse when he and Mom moved to Graceville, FL in 1994.
4. I'm a gubmint contract worker in the employ of Enterprise Information Services (EIS). The arm I work for handles the digital imaging of documents for the Federal Department of Labor (FECA/Office of Workmen's Compensation Program). I've been there since 2000. My wife Diana works for EIS as well as a contractor doing a similar job for the Department of Energy, having been there since 2008. Ironically, we met when we were both working for a local retail outfit in 1990.
5-6. I have a son, Ben (age 26), from a previous marriage. Our son Hunter is 20. I'm a semi-professional musician, playing mostly keyboards these days and sometimes double on bass. I played brass instruments in school, winding up playing tuba in high school and during my brief collegiate career. Up until they rebuilt the old Gator Bowl upon the arrival of the Jaguars and tore down the old Coliseum in 2003. I could honestly state that I had played every major venue in Jacksonville. The busiest I've ever been musically was when I was with a Jimmy Buffet-esque Trop-Rock/Oldies band called Rip Tide from 2004-2009 with an old high school friend. We averaged 120 gigs a year.
Both of my sons are musicians. Ben, a slamming blues-oriented guitarist, was on Letterman at the age of 12, has 3 or 4 indie cds out, and over the years has had sponsorship deals with Brian Moore guitars, G&L, Rivera amps, with the last being with Laguna/Guitar Center. In 2000, I spent several days in a studio with Ben and an awesome drummer named Tony Royster, Jr. Ben and Tony were working for Nickelodeon at the time in a band under the direction of Paul Shaffer of SNL/Letterman fame.
Hunter plays whatever he lays his hands on (other than keys) and does it very well. When he was 12, he was arranging the horn parts for my Funk/Soul/blues review band, Soul Brigade. Then, playing guitar, he formed a couple of metal bands that saw some local success, before quitting school the first part of his senior year to go on the road as his big brother's bassist. for close to two years. He finally got his diploma, works part-time in a local studio and plays lead guitar and bass with our band, MuddSkipper. He's going to take a couple of courses at the local JuCo this fall.
My beloved Diana and I met in February of 1990, and promptly fell in love. I moved in with her in July or August, 1990. I can honestly say I'd be dead by now if it weren't for her.
We have three great dogs (Lab mixes): T-Bone (the Dad, and my "John Coffee"), and his two offspring, Missy Sue Louise Francine What With The Little Head And The Long Legs, and d'Artagnan. d'Art is blind from birth.
7. I found Cigar Geeks just googling cigar stuff. Honestly, it was Bob Cordell, Rich Fry (lowpro75) and Les Chamness (Hot Stuff x) that convinced me to stick around. The first two because of their wit and general A-holishness, and the latter because he sent me my first bomb shortly after I joined.
8. Gitfiddl was the first username I ever had when I hit the internet. BellSouth only allowed 8 characters back then. My Mammaw used to call my bass guitar a "gitfiddle", so I just dropped the "e" to make it fit.
9. My avatar is the product of a long-running joke around here.
1. I am Mark and I am 56 yrs old.
2. I started smoking cigars around 2005. I went through a very traumatic time in my life and found that the anticipation and smoking of a cigar worked much better for me than the pills that the Dr. was giving me.
3. I have lived here in the state of Washington since 1982.
4. I am a Groundman for the local electric utility here. I do the grunt work on the ground for the lineman in the air.
5. Next month I will have been married to my wife Toni for 33 years.
6. My hobbies are cigars, cooking on my Big Green Egg, and playing guitar at church. I play a Stratocaster and belong to a Black, Pentecostal chruch.
7. Here in Washington, you can't even smoke at a local B&M. It's not convenient to go to Indian Reservation property and frequent a cigar lounge. I enjoy this forum and all I have learned from it.
The picture is one of Toni and myself on one of our cruises.
1. I'm Brent and I'm 30.
2. I've been smoking cigars about 2 years now.
3. I live in southern Indiana (near Louisville Ky) and I was born and raised here.
4. I work for a home improvement company as a in-home sales rep.
5. I've been married 10 yrs to my beautiful wife Debra and we have three kids. Chloe is 9, Dakota is 7, and Aiden is 5.
6. I work long hours so I don't have many hobbies, but I enjoy golfing when the opportunity arises, and cigars of course.
7. I frequent this forum because it gets me away from my daily routine. I can check it on the go and there is always something interesting going on. There are some truly great people on here. I feel like I'm hanging out with a bunch of friends. The diversity is good too!
8. My username is a combination of my first and last name, shortened.
9. My avatar is a band from a very tasty stick that is shrouded in mystery. (I can't find it anywhere)
10. I enjoy a wide range of cigars some mild and some full. I play harmonica and percussion. I really enjoy good blues music! (just some random odds and ends)
This is me and Debra........ yes I am a blessed man......and, no, i don't know why she is with me!
Hello, Chuck, age 56
Been smoking cigars for about 10 years, like full bodied smokes but will try just about anything but infused. Staple is LGC Siere R Maduro
Live in Pittsburgh, PA. Great city, best kept secret
I do marketing/analytics for a mining machinery company
Married, 25 years in November, 2 daughters oldest in grad school at LSU, the youngest in her third year at a local college
Biggest hobby is auto racing. In my position I get to manage our NASCAR efforts. We sponsor a car in the Nationwide series
I love CG and hit it just about daily
Nothing special, just first initial, last name. Wasn’t thinking
The avatar I use is a sticker created for NSWKids (Navel Special Warfare). Thru our NASCAR connections we met the founder. NSWKids started after 26 US Navy SEALS were killed last August in Afghanistan to support the families of SEALS killed in the defense of our country. Our company and I personally support this organization.
Byron 56 I’ve been smoking for about 12yrs or so don’t really remember when I started.
Moline Illinois, or the Quad cities as we call it around here, moved to this area from Colorado in 1996. My wife is from a town south of where we live and her parents retired and they moved back and we followed.
I’m an Animal Control Officer for the City of Rock Island, I’ve been doing this for the past 15 years.
I’ve been married for 30 yrs; have a son Levi 24, who is getting married in Oct. and a daughter, Kirsten 21 and well be starting her senior at Saint Ambrose University. I’ve got three dogs a Cocker Spaniel, named “Spunky”, a three legged Pitbull named “Cassidy”, and the latest addition a Shih-Tzu named “Chumly”. Spunky and Cassidy where rescued off the streets, and Chumly mom came from a puppy mill.
Cigars of course, but I like playing golf when I get a chance and traveling.
I like this forum because the people that are on here are nice and seem to care when help is needed, no snobs, and no bashing, just good all around people.
My user name is from my initials BGR when you sound them out it comes out Beeger I added the ply because Beeger was already taken, I meant to spell play but forgot the “A” so I just left it at that.
I’ve used a couple of different avatars before the one I use know, but I had a beard at one time and some people said I looked like Castro in my younger days.
My name is Brian Foley, age 45 (18 for my mental state!). I have enjoyed cigars off and on for a while, but really they were just liquor store types. I got a new job last September, and both my boss's are big BOTL. So, with a little tutoring from them and my local B&M, I am getting a bit more knowledgeable as the days go by. I live in Buda Texas, just outside of Austin. I love living here, because, well, it's Texas baby! I work for a wholesale company that sells countertop material, sinks, faucets, tools, abrasives and all things needed to remodel kitchens and baths. If you need a hookup, and are a general contractor or something similar shoot me a PM and I will take extremely great care of you! I have two boys, Nolan age 19, and Brogan age 16. Nolan fronts a band called A New Hope, check em out. Brogan is an avid skateboarder and is very, very good, and also is very popular with the girls. My hobbies are camping, hanging with family and friends, listening to music, dabbling on the guitar, faith, and helping others whenever I can. I also love everything to do with Angels baseball; Lakers; Kings and Rams. Also a huge Texas Longhorn fan. I frequent this site, because I was lucky enough to stumble across it, and it is such a wealth of information, and even though I am a noob, there are obviously a great bunch of folks on here. I love it! My user name is my high school nickname, and my first name, jumbled up. Just as I was in high school...all jumbled up! My avatar is of a light switch my wife made for me using some of my favorite bands of some of my favorite sticks. We make these for folks all the time, so if you want one, send me a PM and I will give you the details. I am married to my lovely, and very understanding wife, Therese, and we will be celebrating 22 yrs of marriage this October. Yes, I landed a keeper! Great lady and such a class act...makes me look good in public as well! I look forward to having a blast on this site for years to come, and anticipate making some great friends in the process. Maybe we can have a CG get together one of these years somewhere, that would be super, duper cool! Thank you to all the generous BOTL for making me feel like a part of the family so quickly, and sending me some great cigars. Peace, love and great cigars to all of y'all!
1. I am Jason, a 42 year old native Californian
2. I smoked my first cigar, an SLR Serie G, about 4 years ago. However like all of my hobbies, I have jumped in and delved into cigars with all of the enthusiasm that I can muster, doing everything to learn as much as I can about this noble pursuit.
3. I live in Anaheim Hills. I have lived my whole life in California, and would not trade the weather for most anything. Where I live specifically is about 2km from work to avoid a commute.
4. I am a product development chemist, specializing in hi-tech applications.
5. Rebecca Silverwolf from this site is my girlfriend
6. My hobbies include board games, handguns, politics, mixology, and I am currently playing around with drumming.
7. I think CG is a great source of reliable info, and the people here are great.
8. I have always liked jackalopes. I think that they are noble, fierce and majestic creatures. I use the name jackalope or a variation of it such as jackalopejay, jackalopej or simply jackal as my screename for all internet interactions.
9. I searched for a pic of a jackal smoking a cigar. I found one and did some pixel by pixel manual editing of the image to make it look better when reduced.
10. I find that cigar culture is filled with lore, some that pans out when held to the light of science and reason, some that does not. I am doing my best to dispell the myths and help people find their way to way to the actual facts.
1. My name is Chris Robinson. I'm 23 years old (24 on the 1st of July).
2. I've been smoking cigars and pipes on and off since I was 18, but only truly got serious about it when I was 20. So at this point I've got 3 years of serious smoking under my belt.
3. I live in Denton, Texas. I live here because it's affordable. Also, I like Denton because it's a happy medium between a small town and a big city. Just right for me.
4. I work part time at a tobacco shop called Up In Smoke in Lewisville, Texas. I'm also a full-time college student. In addition, I'm a musician. I'm involved in four musical projects at the moment. Hard Evening, Suburb! is my solo project, Soft Morning, City! is a sometimes full band, sometimes duo project, Ten Horns Proud which is a dark folk/blues/Americana-type project in which I sing, play banjos, acoustic guitars and harmonium, plus a secret noise music project.
5. I have two adoptive parents and an adopted younger sister who is four years younger than me. They live in California, where I lived for the first 18 years of my life. I also have a girlfriend, Danielle. We've been together for almost two years.
6. My hobbies are cigars and tobacco (obviously), music, reading, writing, politics, drinking craft beer, Backgammon, collecting (vinyl records, books, cigars and pipes/pipe tobacco), traditional shaving (I use a straight razor) and shooting (mainly shotguns). I also go fishing on occasion.
7. I frequent this forum for the valuable information, the great people and the humor. I also love being involved in passes and such.
8. Hard Evening, Suburb! is my solo musical project, as stated above.
9. I am a card-carrying minister in the Church of the SubGenius. My avatar is J. R. "Bob" Dobbs, savior of slack and founder of the Church.
1. Nick, I'm 28.
2. On and off for ~ 5 years, really got into it though in the past year.
3. Southeast Michigan. I grew up here, went to University of Michigan and then found a job here, so I'm here.
4. I'm a labor & employment attorney. I work in house at a national company which is HQed in Michigan.
5. I'm married (going on a year) and we have a dog, Lincoln. Other than that I have 1 brother who lives in California and my parents still live in Michigan.
6. I'm also a big microbrew guy, so I enjoy trying new beers. Otherwise, my hobbies are playing with my dog, watching sports (mostly football), BBQing, watching/reading history books/shows, going to the movies.
7. I came upon in trying to learn more about just what I needed to do in general related to cigars, since I had no clue. I lurked for a while and read tons of stuff and then finally decided to join up.
8. My last name is ridiculously long, so I need a short user name, I use my first initial (n) and then the start of my last name (kowal). It's something I've used for a long time, because really if I can avoid spelling out my last name I do.
9. I'm *a little* obsessed with Michigan football.
10. Really became more interested other than just the occasional cigar I'd have when I tried a Partagas D4 in the Bahamas.
And to put a face with my name... me and the woman who complains about my cigar purchases! :)
1. My name in Keith Crosby and I am 43 years old
2. Started smoking cigars the night before Thanksgiving 2011
3. I live in Monroe, CT - I moved here in 2002 because it was the 1/2 way point between my job and my wife's job, it had the best school district in the area and we could not afford to move further South (Fairfield County, CT is VERY expensive)
4. I am in commercial construction. I specialize in commercial interiors and am transitioning into a new business development role (sales). I have only worked for 3 companies my entire life (started working in construction at 17 years old.)
5. My wife Lisa is my soul mate, we have been married 18 years this October, my daughter Emily is 16 (17 in July) and is a Junior in High school and my son Andrew is 15 (16 in December) and is my best friend.
6. I am OCD - anything I get into I go "all in" (like this "cigar thing" as my wife calls it). I like golf, fishing, watching sports and mentoring youth and quality time with the family.
7. At first I joined this site it was to learn more about the hobby, now I do not know why
8. My user name has been my on-line name since the web started - KC is my initials and Kodiak is the chewing tobacco I use.
9. My avatar will change as the seasons progress. Currently my beloved NY Rangers, Yankee avatar coming soon but will be replaced by NY Giants come September.
10. Love being here and part of the brotherhood, it was not until my trip to Cigarfest a few months ago that I truly started to appreciate the commaderie of the cigar smoking world.
Neal, age 45. been smoking cigars off and on for about 25 years but only over the last couple has it turned into something more seriouse. currently in the state of New Mexico were i am a project manager for a small construction company. lets just say im here for now because i made a deal with the devil. i am married and have 6 wonderfull kids, ages 5 to 25. i have been married to my wife Maria for 19 years now and am still madly in love. hobbies include cigars of course, brewing beer, (the 2 go together so well) do it yourself projects around the house and working on cars with my sons. found the site when i was browsing one day and liked the group and the mix of personalities so been hanging around since then.. the name is my name, no imagination there and the avatar is also me with a nice stogie that held a great ash.
Chris, your church is a form of Discordianism? Care to extrapolate a bit on this? Thanks.
Yes, the Church of the SubGenius seems to be an offshoot of Discordianism. However, it is much more loose and jokey than Discordianism. I joined mainly because I identify with their sense of humor and general philosophy, specifically the notion that we must have "slack" to be truly happy. I work hard in order that I may inevitably have plenty of "slack," slack being the freedom and time to do what I want when I want to. Aside from this, C.o.S.G. is mainly an "organization" that satirizes other religions, specifically Scientology.
Me and a bunch of my art/musician friends decided to get our memberships when we were in high school because we thought the whole concept was hilarious. We had a mini SubGenii posse and had ourselves quite a bit of fun. That's about as far as my commitment to the whole thing goes. I'm not a truly religious person. I'm just a weirdo who likes having slack.
Plus, all true SubGenii are apparently descendents of the Yeti. I'm quite hairy and tall. So, connect the dots and it all makes sense.
Slack on, folks!
Jackal - 6/10/2012 8:11 PM
Tue discordia would worship Eris. Sub-Geniuses revere Bob. He can offer you salvation or triple your money back.
Elegantly summarized, Jackal. Have you given your money to Bob yet and transcended Pinkdom?
1. My name is Jeff Ward I'm 42
2. Been smoking cigars for 20+ years dad is a cigar smoker so grew up around them. Had about a 5 year break where I didn't keep many around just smoked a couple a week because of my ex but she got traded in for the cigars.
3. I live in Fort Collins Colorado about 50 miles north of Denver. Come from Greeley not to far from here so came home after I retired.
4. Project Super for a paving and concrete company, CSU student and Retired from the US Army in Dec of 2008.
5. Married to my current wife for just over a year now and she doesn't mind my cigars as long as they stay in my room Have a son (22) and a daughter (20) from a previous marriage.
6. Cigars and my Harley are my 2 big money pits I have but they go together so well!
7. Started looking at forums for trades, box splits etc. Got onto a few started reading the rules for one and noticed the you can't do ANYTHING for 4 months rule and thought hmmmmm... Then I watched a member that had been on for about 3 months post trying to trade for empty cigar boxes or coffins. He was subsequently reprimanded by several members for attempting a trade before his 4 months was up. That was the last time I ever logged into THAT site and have been on Cigar Geeks ever since.
8. Was my email and username for the last 4 years I was on active duty and just kept using it so I can easily be identified across any site I use. That and it makes it easy for my senile A$$ so I don't have to remember 50 friggin user names across the web!
9. It's the US Army logo baby! My saying at the bottom is of course part of the lyrics for Pink Floyd "Come in here dear boy have a Cigar!" If I would have done any kind of illegal substances in my youth, which I'm not admitting to of course, then Pink Floyd would have been one of my all time favorites even to this day!
10. LOVE my Denver Donkeys! But not sure Peyton Manning is the answer to high gas prices and how to eat chunky Peanut Butter without getting peanut pieces stuck in your teeth like everyone else here thinks he is! Love music mainly classic rock and metal but I really do listen to just about anything if it sounds good I like it no matter what the genre is.
Not sure if I participated last time. If I did, some things have changed over the last couple years ...
1. Armin Burkholder, turning 50 in a few days (ugh ... how did this happen?)
2. I smoked my first cigar in the garage of my father's house. It was the original White Owl, and was meant to turn me off from ever trying to smoke behind Dad's back again. He made me inhale. That was exciting, but it didn't work. At 25 I started enjoying the occasional ISOM (I grew up in Canada). Got introduced to DR, Hon and Nics when I moved to the US. A couple years ago I started smoking cigars more often as a way to relieve the stresses from home and work life. It works better than any drug.
3. I live in central Virginia (Henrico county near Richmond). This is where work and fate brought me, as I was under the thumb of the USCIS until I obtained a green card. We are citizens now, and I will be here at least until both my boys are through college.
4. I manage a team of software developers.
5. I met Miss Cheryl in a bar. I watched her drink more than any human ought to be able to drink without being hospitalized, then I watched her walk a straight line out of the bar. I knew I had to find out more about her. Sounds a bit unusual, maybe even stupid, but that's how it happened. She has brought two boys into the world with me, and has helped shape them into remarkable young men.
6. Hobbies. Shooting. Well, it's not really a hobby, more like serious training, but it's what I do. Got started with Dad when I was a youngster, and am still learning what it really means to shoot well. I also work out a lot, like it or else. Other things include physics, astrophysics, and bio. Lots of music when I was younger, but not so much any more.
7. This forum is fun! And educational. And there are lots of real fine people who hang out here.
8. My user name is a play on the middle part of my too-long-to-type-very-often last name.
9. My avatar represents everything I aspire to one day become
10. I am *really* glad I can vote this November.
This is a pic I have handy of my father and I. It is 3 years old, but not much has changed.
Jump to page : 123456 Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]