Aging a Maduro

Started by theoldcc, 07/11/2007 08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theoldcc

So some observations I have made over the last few years.  Tell me what you think or what you noticed.  

I have some Maduros that are fairly fresh and some aged about 6 months then some around a year and then more several years old.  What i've noticed is that the maduros seem to develope nicely over the first year but after that they tend not to get much better.  I'm not sure there is any point to aging a maduro over a year.

Also, it seems to be that VSGs tend to actually be better for me when they are not aged much at all.  I think a good fresh VSG is just great the way it is without aging.  The ones I have aged I have shyed away from.

Generally it just seems that stronger spiceier cigars stand the best for aging.  Anybody else notice this or am I just crazy?

*P
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

mistagordo

I agree that I also like fresh VSGs better than aged.  Thye just mellow out too much.  Otherwise I think aging does well for my smokes.  Definitely the stronger/harsher ones get better with age.

Steve

monteclaro

I like a well aged cigars.  VSGs are great fresh though - Ashton is probably my favorite VSG.  You can smoke that in the shop you buy it from and it would be a great smoke.  I agree some maduros are very good with little againg, but not sure if they dont age much past a year.  I'll have to take a look and see if I can do that comparison with what I have.

JF
Hmmm...what to smoke, what to smoke...
http://www.cigargeeks.com/humidor/default....mber=monteclaro

Anthony

I like maduros a lot, so I can't seem to get any age on them before I light them up. haha.
_____

Turboknat

To be honest, all of my cigars seem to get some age on them, because I only have/enjoy one about every other week.  When I buy them, I buy about 5-6 separate things at a time, just to try, and then add them in my humidor.  By the time I have cycled through them, (I never run out), they all have spent some time in there.  You can see the general age of mine if you check out my humidor here...

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Turboknat

theoldcc

Nice collection you have going there.  I love those Padron '26s.
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

Turboknat

Yeah, I just got those 26's as a x-mas present.  I can not wait to try them, over the holidays.  They do look good, too.

Sticks

I have that problem too with not being able to age a maduro past six months because that it's ash. I have noticed that any maduro that's a bit on the too spicy or harsh side really benefits from at least six months rest in the humidor. I am working on adding a lot of sticks for some long term aging.

ljlemer

QuoteSticks - 12/20/2007  9:22 PM

I have that problem too with not being able to age a maduro past six months because that it's ash.

The solution is obvious. Go on a binge at Cigarbid and buy up a few hundred maduros.  You won't be able to smoke them fast enough to run out in six months.

Come to me with all your cigar questions.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.