Humidor for pipe tobacco?

Started by shawneous, 09/15/2008 12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawneous

So I have a nice cedar-lined humidor that I maintain for my cigars, but my pipe tobacco I just keep in ziplock baggies, but then it eventually dries out! Should I keep it in an open container (or closed) in a humidor too? Maybe a different humidor dedicated to pipe tobacco? Anyone out there have a setup already they can describe to me?

Aequitas86

Every tobacconist I have ever been to stores their bulk tobacco in air tight glass jars. I store mine in a similar fashion. I just went out to target and got one of those containers for putting flour and such in and use that for my pipe tabac. It seems to work fairly well. I only buy a few ounces at a time and usually smoke it up before it dries out.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.

ajmtg

Quoteshawneous - 9/15/2008  2:41 PM

So I have a nice cedar-lined humidor that I maintain for my cigars, but my pipe tobacco I just keep in ziplock baggies, but then it eventually dries out! Should I keep it in an open container (or closed) in a humidor too? Maybe a different humidor dedicated to pipe tobacco? Anyone out there have a setup already they can describe to me?

A mason jar would perform well. The humidity in a cigar humidor is high for pipe tobacco.
I use glass jars with rubber rings to maintain its freshness. I store them in the cupboard.

Duker511

I also just use glass jars, I bought them at walmart for under $3 a piece. If your tobacco is too moist it wont burn good and will gurgle with moisture.
Tim

Aequitas86

if the tobacco is too dry I have heard that the brief use of a water pillow can perk it up to just right. I dunno, I have never had any issues with it yet. Heard anything like this Duker? My house blend is starting to dry(stupid me leaving the jar cracked and on a shelf byt a window)....and I dunno if I can smoke it all in time.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.

Duker511

Sure, if its getting too dry, do anything that works. Pipe tobacco isnt as picky as cigars and you dont have to baby it like cigars, thats one of the high points!! :biggrin:  I have seen people use a humidor for pipe tobacco, you just have to find the humitity that you prefer to smoke at, usually way lower than cigars. I like my tobacco a little drier than some people, I like the flavor and the burn rate when its drier.
Tim

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.