A really geeky cigar smokin coffee guy

Started by Greenfairypipe, 12/24/2012 01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenfairypipe

The two things that I am really geeky about are cigars and coffee.  You have to be pretty geeky about cigars to be on this site.  My cigar geekyness (sp?) may only be outdone by my coffee geekyness.  My wife won't even be in the kitchen with my while I make coffee. (Although she has no problems drinking the stuff.)  I order my green beans from Sweet Maria's in Oakland and roast them in my Behmor coffee roaster.  I mostly brew espresso.  I have a Rancilio Silvia, which I rewired through a PID for temperature stability.  I just wanted to see if there were any other home roasters out there to compare coffee bean / cigar pairings with.

wolfeman
Wolfeman

"After the first glass of absinthe you see things as you wish they were. After the second you see them as they are not. Finally you see things as they really are, and that is the most horrible thing in the world."
- Oscar Wilde

Ken Kelley

Welcome aboard, Mike.  :welcome:

There are some folks here who roast their own coffee but very few who roll their own cigars so there is a limit to our geekiness.

Interesting screen name you have there. Mind telling us a bit of the history?
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

bmac7754

Welcome Mike, I feel your pain with the coffee.  I always drink coffee while enjoying a cigar.  They just go hand and hand
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

Smurf

orbis non sufficit

nwb

A while back, I received a home roast coffee bomb from another Geek, kennyg.  It was some of the best coffee I've had.
Chief of Shaft

tvolball

Enjoy it all brother.... That's what it's here for
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Greenfairypipe

I don't roll my own cigars, though I wish I could.  I don't have the skills or the resources.  As far as my name goes.  I really like absinthe.  Absinthe is referred to as the green fairy.  I started my smoking adventure with pipes.  That gradually shifted to cigars. Now my pipes get neglected.  Thanks everyone for the warm welcoming.

wolfeman
Wolfeman

"After the first glass of absinthe you see things as you wish they were. After the second you see them as they are not. Finally you see things as they really are, and that is the most horrible thing in the world."
- Oscar Wilde

Ken Kelley

Quotenwb - 12/24/2012  4:03 PM

A while back, I received a home roast coffee bomb from another Geek, kennyg.  It was some of the best coffee I've had.

And kennyg is another member MIA. Haven't heard anything from him...as well as a number of others...for quite a while. What has happened to the old crew?

toby2

Steph and i are coffee geeks. i haven't went far enough off the edge to roast my own yet. ours gets roasted then shipped that day though.

nwb

QuoteAlphairon - 12/24/2012  4:18 PM
Quotenwb - 12/24/2012  4:03 PM

And kennyg is another member MIA. Haven't heard anything from him...as well as a number of others...for quite a while. What has happened to the old crew?

People come and go - I'm sure the same was asked when some of us left other forums to join this fine establishment.  It would be nice to see some of the old faces - kennyg is a good BOTL.
Chief of Shaft

Ken Kelley

QuoteGreenfairypipe - 12/24/2012  4:18 PM

I don't roll my own cigars, though I wish I could.  I don't have the skills or the resources.  As far as my name goes.  I really like absinthe.  Absinthe is referred to as the green fairy.  I started my smoking adventure with pipes.  That gradually shifted to cigars. Now my pipes get neglected.  Thanks everyone for the warm welcoming.

wolfeman

Ah, I see!

We also have an active bunch of pipe smokers here who post their pipe dreams in the pipe threads...in case you want to revive that interest. I'm sure they would welcome you into their cotery.

We give everyone a warm welcome. Then we jump on them and tease them unmercifully after they get all comfortable and settled in. Be forewarned!

:biggrin:

87North

Welcome to our little corner of the World Mike.  I'm pretty much a geek in all things, though I hope to be roasting a bit of my own coffee in the near future, I've not done it yet.  And also, I like cigars and pipes... oh, and wine and whiskeys. :biggrin:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

dwig

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say:  Hey look.  That one is shaped like an idiot!"

Ken Kelley

Quote87North - 12/24/2012  4:37 PM

Welcome to our little corner of the World Mike.  I'm pretty much a geek in all things, though I hope to be roasting a bit of my own coffee in the near future, I've not done it yet.  And also, I like cigars and pipes... oh, and wine and whiskeys. :biggrin:

I got some neighbors who can teach you all about makin' that whiskey! :biggrin:

Ringadingh

Welcome aboard, while I do like coffee, nowhere near enough to go out of my way for it. McDonalds is very good, Timmies is ok and Starbucks sucks. My opinion only. I use instant at home because I'm to lazy to go to all the work of perking.
But thats just me.

87North

QuoteAlphairon - 12/24/2012  3:41 PM

If'n I had the time for such foolishness, I'd shore nuff be innerstead in such a edumication.   :biggrin:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

Vroomp

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Ken Kelley

Quote87North - 12/24/2012  4:55 PM

QuoteAlphairon - 12/24/2012  3:41 PM

If'n I had the time for such foolishness, I'd shore nuff be innerstead in such a edumication.   :biggrin:

Can't do it in winter because the springs are froze up. But I think we can sneak you into a class in Spring Semester! Bring your own corn!  :biggrin:

ntanner

Welcome from New Mexico. ive been thinking about purchasing a roaster myself but havnt pulled the trigger yet as cigars and beer making supplies keep getting to my budget.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Greenfairypipe

Quotetoby2 - 12/24/2012  1:19 PM

Steph and i are coffee geeks. i haven't went far enough off the edge to roast my own yet. ours gets roasted then shipped that day though.
Fresh roasted coffee sent to your home is awesome.  You and Steph should jump from the edge, the water's warm down here.  You'd be surprised how much money you can save by roasting your own coffee.  Plus, it's so much fun.  If you don't want to buy a home roaster, you can use an air popcorn popper, to see if it is something you'd be interested in.  A friend of mine started out using a metal bowl and  a heat gun.

wolfeman
Wolfeman

- Oscar Wilde

Greenfairypipe

QuoteAlphairon - 12/24/2012  1:33 PM

wolfeman

Ah, I see!

We also have an active bunch of pipe smokers here who post their pipe dreams in the pipe threads...in case you want to revive that interest. I'm sure they would welcome you into their cotery.

We give everyone a warm welcome. Then we jump on them and tease them unmercifully after they get all comfortable and settled in. Be forewarned!

I look forward to the teasing  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

wolfeman
Wolfeman

- Oscar Wilde

Greenfairypipe

Quote87North - 12/24/2012  1:37 PM

I'm right with you on the wine and whiskey.  It seems that people put off home roasting and once they try it are bummed they waited so long.

wolfeman
Wolfeman

- Oscar Wilde

Hapcigar

:welcome: to CG from NJ.

Love a good cuppa with my cigar.  But a bad cup will do in a pinch.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Greenfairypipe

Quotentanner - 12/24/2012  3:26 PM

Welcome from New Mexico. ive been thinking about purchasing a roaster myself but havnt pulled the trigger yet as cigars and beer making supplies keep getting to my budget.

It saves you money in the long run.  Green beans are cheaper than the same quality beans already roasted.

wolfeman
Wolfeman

- Oscar Wilde

Ken Kelley

QuoteGreenfairypipe - 12/24/2012  8:10 PM

QuoteAlphairon - 12/24/2012  1:33 PM

wolfeman

Ah, I see!

I look forward to the teasing  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

wolfeman

Be patient, grasshopper, it will happen if you hang around here long enough.  :biggrin:

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.