Cigar Flavors

Started by SenorPablo, 07/14/2007 02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SenorPablo

So we all do a lot of cigar reviews on the site.  Now that we are approaching 2 months old, I thought it might make sense to create another article around terms used to describe Cigar Flavors.  I'm not talking about flavored cigars, but terms we use to describe unflavored cigars.

There's no doubt a lot of terms used by folks but I thought that in order to make some sense of the various terms, we might at least come up with a general guide of flavors divided into categories.  

I'd like to get input from members on any other flavors it would make sense to list and how best to organize these flavors into logical groupings.

Here is what I have come up with so far:

Sweet:
Cocoa
Chocolate
Vanilla
Caramel
Honey
Cream

Woody:
Tree Bark
Cedar
Oak
Rotting wood

Nutty:
Almond
Hazelnut

Mild Spices:
Ginger
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Liquorice
Cloves
Salt

Strong Spices:
Black Pepper
Red Pepper
Cayenne

Earthy:
Leather
Tobacco
Coffee
Toast

Fruity:
Citrus
Raisins

Herbal:
Floral
Peat Moss
Grass
Hay
Mint
Menthol

Chemicals:
Ammonia

Let me know what you think about how I have grouped these and any others you think we should include.  Any suggestions would be welcome!

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

theoldcc

Great idea.  I use nutmeg and cayenne sometimes.  Nutmeg because it is kind of a mellow creamy sweetness and Cayenne because it is just a different kind of spiciness than black pepper.  Doesn't quite hit you in the back of the throat like black pepper does.

I'm not sure toast and coffee fit in the Earthy category but can't think of another one for them.  

*P
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

Anthony

Great idea!  And that's quite a list you've got there.

I use "nutmeg" also, usually along with cinnamon, but I would personally consider these "spice" rather than "sweet"

I generally characterize spicy in two ways in my mind:

1. Sweet spice - Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Clove, Licorice, etc.
2. Spicy spice - black pepper, hot pepper,

And I also separate "herby" flavors - mint, grass, hay, flowers, etc. - from the others.
_____

SenorPablo

I like you suggestions Anthony.  I incorporated them into the first post.  I think there is still some work to do.  

Any other suggestions folks?

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

monteclaro

What no bacon???  

Just joking.  

This list looks pretty good.  The spicey spice vs sweet spice seems odd.  I think it makes sense to seperate them but maybe call them something different.  When I think of spicey i think of everything you have under spicey spice.  Just not sure what you would call the sweet spice.  Maybe its just mild spice and strong spice??  :confused:

JF
Hmmm...what to smoke, what to smoke...
http://www.cigargeeks.com/humidor/default....mber=monteclaro

SenorPablo

LOL...no I think we'll leave bacon out for now.

I was struggling with some of the terms as well.  I like the mild versus strong spice flavors.  I'll update the first post again.

Keep 'em coming.

-Paul

mistagordo

This looks like a great list.  I just did a review of a cigar and I was thinking it would be nice to have this linked to the review page for reference.

Steve

Anthony

A couple more:

for herbal: citrus

for sweet: fruit, raisins.

and for mild spice: salty (not really a flavor, but sometimes the wrapper leaves a slightly salty flavor on the lips or tongue)

_____

SenorPablo

Based on Anthony's suggestions I added a new category for "Fruity" and put Citrus and Raisins under there.

Steve: I woul like to create an Article in the knowledge base that we could link to in the reviews.

I woud welcome anyone who would like to take a shot at writing the Article ;-) .  You would of course get credit for it as the author (with input coming from members of the site.)

-Paul

SenorPablo

Hi Folks.  Based on the work we did collectively on this thread, I have created a new article on cigar tasting and flavors and linked back into the cigar review form.  Thanks for everyone's input on this and let me know if you have any constructive criticism!

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=26

-Paul

monteclaro

Nice article.  Glad our efforts didn't go to waste  ;-)

Found a few typos:
Taste is very much tied to your sense of small

Because of the strong connection between the sense of and the taste sense of smell

JF
Hmmm...what to smoke, what to smoke...
http://www.cigargeeks.com/humidor/default....mber=monteclaro

SenorPablo

Thanks for the edits John.  Somehow i missed this post lat time.

-Paul

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.