I Want To Be Like Lee Van Cleef...

Started by metalhead y cigarguy, 03/20/2013 03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalhead y cigarguy

For years I've been a fan of the Spaghetti Westerns, more specifically the "Man With No Name Trilogy". In the the movie, "For A Few Dollars More" Clint Eastwood stars along side another great actor Lee Van Cleef. In the movie LVC smokes a meerschaum pipe that has beautiful coloring to it. Because of this movie I've wanted a meerschaum pipe like his from the time I first saw this movie... many years ago. Well, after over a year of searching ebay for a bent egg meerschaum pipe in new condition, and at a reasonable price; I have finally found my LVC pipe.  This one is a 1/2 bent and the actual LVC pipe is 3/4 bent, but its close enough for me.  It was carved in 1962 and was bought in Turkey by the ebay seller. Already smoked a bowl out of it and I have a feeling its going to become my new favorite pipe. I'm hoping it colors similar to that of the LVC pipe in the movie.

photo LVC2_zpsea49b99a.jpg

photo LVC7_zps915541a4.jpg

Great scene from "For A Few Dollars More"  referred to as Mortimer's Match or The Smoker.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nftF-g48UYA

I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

CrazyK

CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

Vroomp

nice pipe! I guess you already know not to touch it with your oily hands right? To develop that nice red color it can't have oils from hands on it or it turns brown.
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

lubrix

Very nice! I would like to pick up a meerschaum one day.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

cibolodave

DonM

A nice pipe!  I don't need another hobby, cigars do enough damage to my bank account

"The Curmudgeon"

MT21

Congrats on a great find Bryan.  I wish you many years of enjoyment from it.  Show it off this summer at the NW Geeks Herf.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

toby2

QuoteVroomp - 3/20/2013  8:07 AM  nice pipe! I guess you already know not to touch it with your oily hands right? To develop that nice red color it can't have oils from hands on it or it turns brown.

I read somewhere that the ones from Turkey don't change color that well. ROTHNH always has the facts on stuff like that though. 

very cool pipe. I want one myself. 

metalhead y cigarguy

Quotetoby2 - 3/20/2013  6:30 AM

QuoteVroomp - 3/20/2013  8:07 AM  nice pipe! I guess you already know not to touch it with your oily hands right? To develop that nice red color it can't have oils from hands on it or it turns brown.

I read somewhere that the ones from Turkey don't change color that well. ROTHNH always has the facts on stuff like that though. 

very cool pipe. I want one myself. 

The bulk of all meerschaum comes from Turkey, and typically the best meerschaum is found in Turkey. However, depending on how far down the meerschaum was mined will determine the quality and size of the blocks. Being that this pipe was carved in 1962, chances are its a higher quality meerschaum as today's meerschaum pipes are being made from meerschaum blocks that have been mined in other area's around the world.

As for the not touching of the meerschaum, I don't buy into any of that crap. It's a pipe and it's to be held like a pipe. I don't think the generation of pipe smokers from the hey-day of pipe smoking ever babied their meerschaums. It will color just fine by handling it. I've seen plenty of great looking colored meerschaum pipes that have been handled just like a regular pipe. As long as your hands are clean and not dirty from working in the yard, garage etc. while handling the pipe it should color just fine. Besides that a deep chocolate brown is a typical color change for meerschaum pipes. Again the quality of the meerschaum and the amount it's smoked will determine the color of the pipe, (red, amber, brown etc.)

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Ringadingh

I think it would be a bit late for not touching a 50 year old pipe with oily hands. I wouldn't worry about it myself at all.

BlackIrish

I recently watched The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (again) and noticed and liked LVC's pipe.  Although the movie was set during the Civil War, the pipe has a metal band, which seemed to be an anachronism -- I don't think pipes from that era had metal on the shank.  Thoughts?
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

toby2

metalhead y cigarguy

QuoteBlackIrish - 3/20/2013  9:23 AM

I recently watched The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (again) and noticed and liked LVC's pipe.  Although the movie was set during the Civil War, the pipe has a metal band, which seemed to be an anachronism -- I don't think pipes from that era had metal on the shank.  Thoughts?

Interesting. I never thought about that. I believe that pipe is a Wellington, but I'm not sure and if so I don't know when they started putting metal bands on their pipes. Briar pipes were introduced around 1820 and became very popular around the mid 1800's, but whether or not any of those had metal bands I couldn't say.

1029henry

Awesome! I noticed the yellow stem meerschaum years ago, and wanted to get one. Great score!
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

1sgjeffward

Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

vw77guy

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.