flake suggestion

Started by grabow66, 03/25/2013 06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grabow66

Now that I am getting back into pipes after a 8 year layoff, I am looking to expand my tastes. I always smoked plain Lane bulk but always shied away from flakes or cake. But I am looking for a good, never let me down flake. Any ideas?
If at first you dont succeed you are running about average.

Vroomp

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

lubrix

QuoteVroomp - 3/25/2013  6:48 PM

Peruvian? :biggrin:
Hilarious!.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

DonM

QuoteVroomp - 3/25/2013  7:48 PM

Peruvian? :biggrin:

:bigthumbs:

"The Curmudgeon"

toby2

that would help with this flu. 

Peterson Irish Flake is pretty easy on the mouth and has a nice flavor. Old Dark Fired is another good one. 

grabow66

I went with Samuel Gowith  Golden Glow
If at first you dont succeed you are running about average.

sam a

gloden glow is nice... another flake i highly recommend is GL pease union square, give it a shot if you get a chance.
Any cigars portrayed in this post that appear to be Cuban in origin are completely fictional in nature. Any resemblance between these cigars and actual Cuban cigars is unintended and purely coincidental.

metalhead y cigarguy

Solani 656 Aged Burley Flake
Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake
Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake
Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake

As for cake tobacco's, I highly recommend Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River from PipesandCigars.com.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

87North

I would recommend the Stokebye Luxury Navy flake as well.  That is my go-to flake and the price is right if you find you just cant stand it...   :confused:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

ROTHNH

Quotegrabow66 - 3/25/2013  7:26 PM

Now that I am getting back into pipes after a 8 year layoff, I am looking to expand my tastes. I always smoked plain Lane bulk but always shied away from flakes or cake. But I am looking for a good, never let me down flake. Any ideas?

Many of the bulks from Peter Stokkebye and Newminster are great; I have a bunch of blends from each (PS LBF, Newminster #403, etc.) jarred in my cellar.  But they ALL need at least 2-3 years to age in jars to be really good, IMO.

I'd start with the quintessential virginia flake: a 50g tin of Dunhill Flake (DF).

This flake bears the standard for virginia flakes.  You won't have to fiddle f**k with a tempermental esoteric, like Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, or decide if you like spicy, which virginia flakes with Perique (Va/Pers) tend to be.

I'd start with DF.  If you're like most virginia flake lovers, DF will ALWAYS be in your cellar.

jimmyG

Either Petersons uni flake or irish flake, both really good smokes,

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.