Must Read - Pipe & Cigar Risks Examined

Started by metalhead y cigarguy, 04/10/2013 01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalhead y cigarguy

This link was provided over at the Pipes Magazine forum and was from a lecture presented at the Seattle Pipe Club back in 2002 by Dr. Henri P Gaboriau.  Some interesting notes for sure.

http://www.seattlepipeclub.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=969877&module_id=17020

Note that the Dr. advises against drinking alcohol while smoking, pipes or cigars.  :-(  
Definitely some interesting numbers in this lecture. I like what I see though.
 :smoker:
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

vw77guy

Hmmm.  No drinking while I smoke :confused: .  I don't know if it's worth it!!!

Samhain2000

Thanks for posting the link.

I've wondered about the risks associated with pipes.
A cigar is like a gun, you never know when you'll need one.

CrazyK

CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

cibolodave

nwb

Interesting.  Also noticed that you shouldn't drink anything that is very hot - so coffee is out the window. :-(
Chief of Shaft

lubrix

In one ear...out the other for me!.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

SenorPablo

Good article Bryan.  I added to our Links directory.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

sjn1117

very interesting read. i would have thought a cigar was "better" than a pipe.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

Hot Stuff x

I've read other reports that state that the risk of oral cancer from pipes is greater than cigars.  

At the bottom of the article linked above, "Disclaimer: Note that the information provided in this lecture summary report are the opinions of Dr. Gaboriau."
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

DonM

I found the article interesting, but no alcohol with a cigar?  That's an evening ritual for me

"The Curmudgeon"

toby2

I have a best friend who has had throat cancer four times. he has never smoked anything. life is tough nobody makes it out alive so enjoy the ride, just not too much. 

cigarzinn

Quotetoby2 - 4/10/2013  8:45 AM

I have a best friend who has had throat cancer four times. he has never smoked anything. life is tough nobody makes it out alive so enjoy the ride, just not too much. 

Amen Brother!  You never know what is going to get you...so enjoy the ride!

Joelala

Seems like I will add a bottle of water to my list of stuff to take outside with me when I smoke. Good article.
Joe

alpal

Great read, though this guy might be a little partial towards pipe smoking...
"You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happinesses." - Aldous Huxley

metalhead y cigarguy

QuoteInteresting. Also noticed that you shouldn't drink anything that is very hot - so coffee is out the window.

Right before that he say's coffee is okay, but not anything "very hot" so as long as the coffee has cooled some then it's fine.

QuoteI've read other reports that state that the risk of oral cancer from pipes is greater than cigars.

At the bottom of the article linked above, "Disclaimer: Note that the information provided in this lecture summary report are the opinions of Dr. Gaboriau."

Yes, the disclaimer does state that as the information is based off his research and his opinions of the tobacco products being discussed. Dr. William C Douglass who has the Douglass Report (website) has recommended in the past that it's okay to smoke 2 cigars per day. Again that is based on the research he's done and his opinions. Obviously it's there to prevent him from being sued if someone does obtain cancer from smoking a pipe etc.

QuoteGreat read, though this guy might be a little partial towards pipe smoking...

Keep in mind he was presenting this information for a pipe club, so most of it was focused on pipes; however, cigars and other tobacco products are referenced as well.

My guess as to why Dr. Gaboriau thinks pipes may be healthier or less of a risk is because there is no actual tobacco touching your lip, and there is less tobacco being smoked by a pipe smoker compared to a cigar smoker; unless you're a multiple time per day pipe smoker then the risk increase changes accordingly. That's based on Dr. Gaboriau's research though.

I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

nwb

To support this research, I think sam a posted a government study that said much the same.
Chief of Shaft

1sgjeffward

No alcohol and no hot coffee! I'm gonna die :biggrin:
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

Vroomp

We all gotta go someday so I plan to make the best of it. I need my vices!
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

mike.casey

Cigars have some catching up to do if they plan on killing me before fried food and red meat!
Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid. -John Wayne-

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

toby2

Quotemike.casey - 4/10/2013  5:51 PM  Cigars have some catching up to do if they plan on killing me before fried food and red meat!

:lmao:

Smurf

very interesting thanks for the post.
orbis non sufficit

jimmyG

MT21

Quotetoby2 - 4/10/2013  3:40 PM

Quotemike.casey - 4/10/2013  5:51 PM  Cigars have some catching up to do if they plan on killing me before fried food and red meat!

:lmao:

:lmao:  :lmao:
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.