Crap Cigar: Mini review on the Villiger La Libertad

Started by long_ashes, 05/09/2013 08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

long_ashes

I picked this out of my humidor this morning, not knowing who made it.  This happens often when you come back from cigarfest as the commotion of grabbing cigars is a little daunting.  At first glance, I had never heard of the name before so it made me a little leery.  The wrapper looked a little splotchy, the cellophane was a bit cheaper plastic than the standard premium, and I got a slight barnyard smell.  I decided to smoke it anyways and give it a chance.

The first half of the cigar was very smooth with notes of cream and sweetness.  It had a good draw and a decent burn all the way through.  It wasn't a very complex cigar, as this was the flavor profile for the entire smoke.  Toward the second half of the cigar, those flavors were harder to find and it became a bit harsh.  It didn't leave a very nice taste in my mouth.  Overall, it was OK.  When I got to work I looked it up online and found out that it was a Villiger La Libertad.  It makes sense that it would be Villiger as they are normally a machine rolled factory and I believe this is one of their attempts at a hand rolled experience.

If I knew it was a Villiger ahead of time, I may have had a slight bias toward it, but all in all, it did kind of live of to what my expectations would have been on a Villiger homemade.  CI has these for 90 dollars a box!  This cigar is definitely not a $4.50 stick.  I could see me smoking it again, but it's not a diamond in the rough, just smokable.  I would probably pay $2.00 for it max.

http://crapnetwork.com
Home of Crap Cigar, Crap Sauce, and Crap Beer
A streaming pile of crap entertainment.

Brlesq

Thanks for the review.  I've kept mine from CFest to try as well, but now I'm not so sure.  Maybe it will become a yard gar.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

billy82

But I really liked the name "Wish Stealer". It had a Native American ring to it. -Brlesq

A wise geek once told me that moving up from a daily smoke to a weekly or even bi-monthly smoke would be worth it, if I could learn how to appreciate a really really good cigar. -southernrun
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=billy82

Smurf

I got one from Cigarfest as well but I gave it to a buddy to smoke and he loved it...
orbis non sufficit

nwb

These have interested me since they were released.  After this review, I think I'll hold off on trying them for the time being.
Chief of Shaft

Vroomp

I reviewed the box pressed torpedo with about 5 months rest a couple months back. It wasn't all bad and I gave it a 3.5. Perhaps they just need a bit more age?
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

long_ashes

Well I didn't say they sucked, just not worth 4 bucks a stick.  There was decent flavors there, but I could tell the quality wasn't very high.
http://crapnetwork.com
Home of Crap Cigar, Crap Sauce, and Crap Beer
A streaming pile of crap entertainment.

Vroomp

Oh, I agree with that 100%! Just saying the box pressed torpedo with some age wasn't horrible and I also said I wouldn't buy another but, I would probably smoke one if given one...... then again,,,,, I'll smoke a Liga IV!  Probably one of the best 80¢ cigars around.....:biggrin:
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

1sgjeffward

Quotelong_ashes - 5/9/2013  1:56 PM

Well I didn't say they sucked, just not worth 4 bucks a stick.  There was decent flavors there, but I could tell the quality wasn't very high.

Can understand that as competitive as that price range is!
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.