Crap Cigar: Episode #129 Thompson La Flor De Jalapa

Started by long_ashes, 05/10/2013 11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

long_ashes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjc92PdoU3A

Yet another dual review of some miscellaneous stuff from the crap humidor. This week's cigar is the Thompson La Flor De Jalapa. You know our overall opinion of Thompson cigars here on the Crap Network. Thompson does too. Shortly after they sent us these for review, they sent us a letter saying they never wanted to deal with us again. We speak the truth, and sometimes the truth hurts. Anyways, this cigar is quoted as being a "plascencia" on the label. We aren't sure if that's Nestor, or someone else. This is a medium bodied stick, with Nicaraguan and San Andreas ligero filler, with a five year aged habano Nicaraguan wrapper. They are 70 bucks for a box ($3.50 a stick) on Thompson Cigar's website.

First impressions last forever, or at least that's what they say. If that's the case, this cigar fails right away. Punch couldn't get it out of the cellophane because it was stuck, and when he finally did, the cellophane ripped apart on him. Mine lost its label in the cellophane as well. The wrapper looks decent, with a nice oily sheen too it, but no aroma on the body or foot.

The smoke was cool and burned smooth, no construction issues, but the taste was weird. Punch was getting an odd taste in his mouth from it, and I was getting very weird herbal and floral tastes to it. Pretty much from beginning to end it had the same flavor experience that I just mentioned. Punch's cigar was a bit rougher around the edges than mine.

We were not a fan of this cigar, even though we still gave it two different ratings. I said it was a dog turd because the taste alone does not want you coming back, and it DID start to fall apart on me in the beginning. I still got the weird herbal taste all the way down. Punch gave it a yard gar because the taste was just not there for him at all.

Four bucks a stick seems a bit pricey for this. Would I smoke it again? There is no chance in hell! Unless of course it magically appeared in my humidor, and even then I would second guess any puffs. Buyer beware. We smoke the s**t so you don't have to!
http://crapnetwork.com
Home of Crap Cigar, Crap Sauce, and Crap Beer
A streaming pile of crap entertainment.

Smurf

orbis non sufficit

Brlesq

That's what you get for ever even thinking of smoking the "T" brand anyway.  Step it up a couple of levels to the Dark Sharks, Ron Mexicos or Avacados and you can still justify using the name Crap Network for the reviews. :biggrin:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

DonM

Nice, I guess you dont have to worry about any more correspondence from them now do you?

"The Curmudgeon"

Vroomp

Sure wish you guys would post a pic once in a while. There are two brands of Flor de Jalapa and three varieties from Placencia. Was this the Natural or Maduro?

One brand is Flor De Jalapa and looks like this:

It used to come in a natural and a candela wrapper.

The Placencia varieties have bands like this: 

They offered a Natural,  Maduro, and a Gran Habano variety..  I thought they all sucked except the Maduro variety was a decent yard gar after you rested them long enough to get rid of the chemical taste.......I'm not defending Thompson by any means but, I would love to see what you are smoking so I know to stay away from it in the future. Two reviews in the database on the other brand were actually rated fairly well but, once again, without a pic to go along with it who can say which variety they were since there are still quite a few mistakes in the database when it comes to Thompson's crap lines......

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

long_ashes

Sorry, we've been asked that before and we do for awhile and then forget again.  Our tiny T-Rex brains can't seem to remember to post them.  It was this one:  http://www.thompsoncigar.com/product/FLOR-DE-JALAPA-HABANO-CHURCHILL-HABANO/85098.uts
http://crapnetwork.com
Home of Crap Cigar, Crap Sauce, and Crap Beer
A streaming pile of crap entertainment.

nwb

QuoteDonM - 5/10/2013  1:23 PM

Nice, I guess you dont have to worry about any more correspondence from them now do you?

I doubt it.  I'm sure they get calls every other day from Thompson's telemarketers....
Chief of Shaft

87North

I believe the Plascencia in question here was Roger... Roger Plascencia.   :confused:
Guru of "Sarcastic Wit and Folksy Wisdom"

kenstogie

Was that placenta or placencia?  LOL   I apologize for digging Thompson but I couldn't resist.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.