DEVILS WEED IN LOOMIS, CA

Started by mountedshriner, 01/23/2009 01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountedshriner

There is a "Devils Weed" debut event at the Tobacco Republic store in Loomis, CA tomorrow (1/24) starting at noon. This is just a great cigar store and there is always something going on there almost every weekend. Ron, the owner, always has company reps and owners in there w/great promotions and quite an extensive inventory as well. If you are in the neighborhood it is well worth the time to stop in and check it out:

TOBACCO REPUBLIC
3589 Taylor Road
Loomis
916-652-2010
www.trcigar.com
mytrcigar@aol.com
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Bob Cordell

I thought you were talking about reefer, thats what granny used to call it...
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

mountedshriner

:lmao: My mom as well! Actually, Devils Weed is a new stick but I question their marketing if they want to be taken seriously! Also, they aren't exactly cheap stix either: http://www.molinacigar.com/bienvenidos.htm I guess I will find out eventually, but at $120+ for a box 25 Corona Gordas?
 :confused:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Bob Cordell

That's a pretty stiff IPO in my opinion, especially with the economy as it is. Everybody is looking for a bargain at this point...
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

mountedshriner

My point exactly Bob. They do have different prices but they are not exactly an economical smoke. I am probably going to go tomorrow and will let you know. My confusion lies in the name. I am sure that they could have come up w/some type of semi exotic lname like; "los demonios gran puro" (the devils grand cigar) :dancing:  Whatever, Devils Weed seems like an amatuerish stab at attracting the 18-25 set. I will give you an update if I do go to this event. Be well.

Dennis

stogie_foggie

I saw a review about these a while back.  With a name like "Devil's Weed", you'd think they would kick your butt.  I guess they are quite mild and mellow.  

I didn't look at the link, but I have a problem buying overpriced sticks, especially unknown ones.  That being said, would I pay $20 for Litto Gomez Small Batch?  Hell yes.   :biggrin:
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

mountedshriner

Quotestogie_foggie - 1/23/2009  1:35 PM

I saw a review about these a while back.  With a name like "Devil's Weed", you'd think they would kick your butt.  I guess they are quite mild and mellow.  

I didn't look at the link, but I have a problem buying overpriced sticks, especially unknown ones.  That being said, would I pay $20 for Litto Gomez Small Batch?  Hell yes.   :biggrin:

The last "Devils Weed" I smoked did kick my butt :shy: However that was long ago and far away. Although I am a novice I have smoked a LGSB stogie...........$20? I'm w/you. HELL YES!

stogie_foggie

Ha, I knew I had that review somewhere.  Here it is:

"Devils Weed cigars may have the coolest name and best logo in the industry, but how are their cigars? Devils Weed...we always thought that was something other than a cigar, but why go there? Devils Weed Cigars are the creation of Luis Molina of Molina Cigar Company. The Devils Weed line of cigars is due to be released in late October, to coincide with the 515th Anniversary of Columbus and the discovery of tobacco. We don't know our history as well as Luis, but that sounds pretty darn cool. Devils Weed cigars are wrapped in Ecuadorian Connecticut seed tobacco, and contain Dominican binder and filler. All cigars are made in the Dominican Republic by a limited number of skilled artisans. Claimed to be a "mild to medium" flavored cigar, by today's standards it is more on the mild side. That's not a bad thing, as Devils Weed is blended to be an anytime of the day cigar. Devils Weed comes in 6 sizes. Nicot, a 5 5/8 x 46 Corona Gorda; 515, a 5 5/8 x 43 Corona; Raleigh, a 5 x 50 Robusto; Colon, a 5 ½ x 48 Double Perfecto; Jerez, a 6 ¼ x 46 Belicoso; and Queen Bess, a 7 x 48 Churchill. We sampled all sizes of the cigars, and our overall rating is a composite of the group. In general we enjoyed the larger sizes more than the smaller, which is the opposite of our normal tasting profile. The construction of the cigars was above average with no problems with any cigars. Not overly firm, each cigar provided a perfect burn. All cigars in the line have a similar taste profile, so give Luis and staff credit for blending a consistent cigar. We had a limited number of cigars to try, only two of each size...take that into consideration when reading our comments. As stated earlier, all had a similar flavor profile. The challenge was with the finish and aftertaste of the cigars. We tasted plenty of youth in our samples, and that led to some sour flavors, especially on the aftertaste. One can surely taste the potential of these cigars once the flavors have a chance to combine and smooth out. All cigars begin brilliantly, but seemed to change as they were smoked. As the temperature of the cigar rose, the flavor profile changed to one we were not as fond of. That probably also explains why we liked the larger ring gauge cigars as well. Ultimately, given some age, and a smoker that prefers milder cigars this will be a hit. We always appreciate a mild cigar that has a flavor profile you can taste. Mild and without personality is worthless, and not a accurate description of these cigars. Devils Weed cigars are a mild smoke that has a unique flavor profile that as it ages we believe it will turn into a top notch cigar"

Let us know what you think.
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

podman28

Quotestogie_foggie - 1/23/2009  3:35 PM

Mmmmmm LGSB2 is my favorite cigar at the moment. Can't wait to have another. Maybe tomorrow. :biggrin:  :dancing:  :dancing:

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.