Good pipe tobacco

Started by Twinky, 02/05/2009 03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twinky

Now that Ive made my first pipe, I dont have a clue what to stick in it. Whats good along a richer full bodied line?
"Smoking cigars don't make you cool. Being cool makes you smoke cigars" -Me

Duker511

Theres lots of good tobaccos out there. First you have to decide if you want to smoke Aromatics or Non-Aromatics (English). Then you have to go to a smoke shop or an online vendor and either ask or read about some tobaccos. Or you can start here  http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/  you can read reviews on 1000's of tobaccos.

There are so many types of pipe tobacco its hard to give good advice on what to smoke, its kind of a trial and error thing to find what you like. Remember, Aromatic tobacco is kinda like flavored cigars, you taste the candy flavoring and not much tobacco. I only smoke Non-Aromatic and English tobacco, you taste just tobacco.

After alot of researching the subject Ive found this place, http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipetobacco.html  Has the best selection, customer service and prices. They have bulk and sampler deals all the time, check it out.

The last thing you could do is to go to the drugstore and buy some of their tobacco. Its like smoking white owl cigars but its cheap and easy. :biggrin:(correction: Prince Albert is a decent DS tobacco in a pinch)
Tim

Aequitas86

I usually avoid the hype of buying name brand tobacco. I mean im sure Savanelli and Peterson make good stuff, but its pricey. My local shop carries some of their own blends and stuff. I usually walk out with 3 oz for about 4-5 bucks. And its quality tobacco. I'd avoid the cheapy stuff like Borkrum riff.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.

Twinky

My smoke shop primarly sells pipe tobaco and they have alot of options. I'm going to pick a few kinds up next time I stop by.
"Smoking cigars don't make you cool. Being cool makes you smoke cigars" -Me

Duker511

Thats the best way to go, house blends are cheaper and just as good. The guys there will be able to point you in the right direction. Just remember, if you start smoking Aromatics in your pipe you have to clean it VERY well if you smoke more than one kind in it. Alot of people have several pipes they use for different types of tobacco. I have 4 pipes in rotation right now. Some people that smoke aromatics even have a pipe for each blend. If you smoke a few pipes of one kind of aromatic, the pipe will hold the taste of that blend.

Most cigar smokers tend to like non-aromatics and English blends because their used to good tobacco flavor. The Aromatics are very candy coated. The reason I keep making a big deal is that Non Aromatics and English blends are harder to find sometimes. Most places have 10 aromatics to every 1 English blend. Ive heard alot of pipe smokers say they wish they started with English instead of Aromatics, its all about the tobacco with English.
Tim

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.