Makin' coffee my dad's way ......

Started by mike46, 02/20/2009 07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike46

My dad was a cook on a warship (Canadian Corvette ... "Hepatica") during WWII.  After the war, he never used a coffee percolator or any type of coffee-making apparatus, he just used a saucepan and the coffee grounds.  Brought the water to a boil, turned the heat down, waaay down, added the grounds and let it simmer for a while, then turned off the heat, let the grounds settle, and poured it out directly into cups.  Used to drive my wife nuts (who always considered herself a coffee aficianado) but to be truthful, it was the best coffee ever, way better than I was getting at home.  I'm glad my wife doesn't read the CG stuff.

Duker511

I dont drink much caffine anymore but when I do I use a french press. Kinda the same idea without the grounds!!! :-)  I would be more than happy to drink your dads coffee.
Tim

Hot Stuff x

Reminds me of the stories my mom and dad tell about the way coffee used to be made in country homes they lived in or around.  Many homes in rural areas had one wood stove to heat the house, and to make coffee they would set a tin coffee pot (not a percolator, just a bare pot with a handle a spout, and maybe a lid).  To make coffee is like you described with the saucepan--just boil the water and add grounds, let the grounds settle.  The difference is, the way my dad tells it, they didn't empty out old coffee grounds, just added more water and coffee to what was already in there until it got so full of grounds that you couldn't pour a cup without getting grounds in your cup. 

He also said you never wash the pot (as if it was desirable to have a seasoned pot).

LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

Duker511

Well that makes me feel better about only washing my coffee pot out once a week, I must like it seasoned too!!! :biggrin:
Tim

DePixeler

I was visiting the western US a few years ago and had a dinner where out hosts made exactly what you describe.  It's a traditional way of making coffee on the trail and is called (here anyway) cowboy coffee.  It was truly the best cup of coffee I ever had.  Maybe the setting had something to do with it, a beautiful afternoon in the mountains.  Check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_coffee

http://archive.supermarketguru.com/page.cfm/34189

BesstR

I never wash my travel mug. It is a stainless mug from starbucks. I drives my wife crazy I just rinse it with water. I'm  on my third mug thanks to her. She will buy me a new one just when I get good and seasoned. That's almost grounds for a divorce.
I do like my coffee the way you explained it that is the way we had it in the field in the Marines.
"Life's journey is not to arrive in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,"Shouting...Holy S**t....what a ride!"

Twinky

I love to do mine in a turkish style, boil the water, ad the grounds, boil and let cool 3 times and drink, grounds and all. Its great.
"Smoking cigars don't make you cool. Being cool makes you smoke cigars" -Me

Hot Stuff x

I was in Iraq and the natives make something they call Turkish coffee.  It is very finely ground (like dust).  They put the coffee directly in the cup and add boiling water, then if I remember correctly they stir it, then let it steep until the coffee solids settle on the bottom of the cup.

Then they drink until they get down to the "mud" at the bottom of the cup.  I never tried it though, not that adventurous.

LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

tnt956

I drink two cups of black coffee every morning. I am going to try this!

FNA

Drinking the grounds is not the way at turkish and greek establishments I frequent.  For Greek instead of Turkish add sugar to the boil.

Those of you who have watched the Stooges and ever seen Curly or shemp drop egg shells into the coffee pot, that is to 'fine' or precipitate the grounds out of the coffee.

My camping coffee pot is a non perc.  Nowadys you can use those pre-paks of coffee and the grounds are not an issue.

stogie_foggie

My old landlord was Turkish and we always conducted any sort of business over Turkish coffee.  He has an authentic ibrik (I think its called) and takes a while on a slow boil to brew and drink.  Also, he always put sugar in the pot.

We always waited for the grounds to settle before drinking and it was the best coffee I've ever had.  If Twinky drinks the coffee, grounds and all, go for it!

As far as camping, it's the same principle but we always let it boil too fast and it can get bitter and there are too many grounds floating around but who cares - you are drinking coffee on a beautiful morning in the mountains!!
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

This sounds very interesting. I might just have to try this!
I'm running for President. Please vote for me!

vw77guy

Sounds a little like the way I make coffee while out camping.  I agree that there's nothing like coffee made with a little elbow grease.

wescat

The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Beegerply

Quotevw77guy - 4/16/2010  9:21 PM

Sounds a little like the way I make coffee while out camping.  I agree that there's nothing like coffee made with a little elbow grease.

I've had your coffee and it did taste like elbow grease.  :lmao:  :lmao:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Ken Kelley

QuoteBeegerply - 4/16/2010  11:02 PM

Quotevw77guy - 4/16/2010  9:21 PM

I've had your coffee and it did taste like elbow grease.  :lmao:  :lmao:

Elbow grease ain't bad compared to the coffee packets included in the MRE's I enjoyed when I was camping our for Uncle Sam.  The coffee came in little packets in the accessory kit.  Unfortunately, some accessory kits also had little packets of dehydrated ketchup.  Sometimes a person got them mixed up early in the morning.  Nasty!

My grandfather used the bare grounds method and his coffee was great.  I do it myself once in awhile just for fun.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Hound10

QuoteHot Stuff x - 2/20/2009  10:36 PM

Reminds me of the stories my mom and dad tell about the way coffee used to be made in country homes they lived in or around.  Many homes in rural areas had one wood stove to heat the house, and to make coffee they would set a tin coffee pot (not a percolator, just a bare pot with a handle a spout, and maybe a lid).  To make coffee is like you described with the saucepan--just boil the water and add grounds, let the grounds settle.  The difference is, the way my dad tells it, they didn't empty out old coffee grounds, just added more water and coffee to what was already in there until it got so full of grounds that you couldn't pour a cup without getting grounds in your cup. 

He also said you never wash the pot (as if it was desirable to have a seasoned pot).

I LOVE my coffee in the mornings, but my wife and her family are quite the tea people (we have at least one pot ever evening). Anyways, we received a wedding gift that was a tea pot passed down through the family. This sucker is old.......and has NEVER been cleaned. Talk about seasoned. You look in that thing and it's pretty disgusting, however, basically every time we make tea for someone else in that pot they almost always say that it's the best tea they've ever had. And we don't use special or fancy tea. Says a lot about the pot.
"Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics"

Voexum

Very nice! I read this forum last night and couldn't wait to try this in the morning! It was the best cup of coffee I ever had! And that's how I started my morning with a nice brewed cup o' joe, and a Rocky Patel Connecticut cigar, man what a way to start off the day! :dancing:
Christopher "Voexum"
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Voexum

"A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points but it is by no means the most interesting." - The Doctor

NES Tek

That sounds really cool. I'll have to try that.
"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

PA.pierced2010

QuoteBesstR - 2/21/2009  11:09 AM

I never wash my travel mug. It is a stainless mug from starbucks. I drives my wife crazy I just rinse it with water. I'm  on my third mug thanks to her. She will buy me a new one just when I get good and seasoned. That's almost grounds for a divorce.
I do like my coffee the way you explained it that is the way we had it in the field in the Marines.

I am very much the same way.  When I finally wash my cup because the crud looks to thick, the coffee does not taste as good.
"The difference between a man and his valet: they both smoke the same cigars, but only one pays for them"
Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)

Jackal

I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but this discussion intrigues me.

I am now looking into how to make Turkish coffee.  If I can find an ibrik, or whatever the pot is called, I will try and make a batch.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Brlesq

QuoteJackal - 8/10/2010  2:18 PM

I am now looking into how to make Turkish coffee.  If I can find an ibrik, or whatever the pot is called, I will try and make a batch.

Jason - If you want it to REALLY taste good, you have to brew it and drink it while wearing your fez with the gorilla on it!   :biggrin:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Jackal

QuoteBrlesq - 8/10/2010  11:32 AM

QuoteJackal - 8/10/2010  2:18 PM

Jason - If you want it to REALLY taste good, you have to brew it and drink it while wearing your fez with the gorilla on it!   :biggrin:

"No, I'm never gonna do it without the Fez on, Oh no"

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

kennyg

QuoteBesstR - 2/21/2009  12:09 PM

That's almost grounds for a divorce.   :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:

you made a joke there I don't know if anyone else caught it !!
KennyG : )

consti

Isn't this similar to what they call cowboy coffee? My dad wasn't a big coffee man so he never really bothered with it.
-Justin

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.