Is bitterness good or bad for you?

Started by ljlemer, 08/24/2007 02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljlemer

The general population is divided into three major groups insofar as how the react to bitter flavors. Some are so sensitive to bitterness that they can't eat foods that are faintly bitter, like some greens. The majority fall in the middle and tolerate some bitterness, even enjoy a little, but don't enjoy very bitter things, like double expressos or chewing pills without water. The third group enjoys bitter things because they don't perceive them as so bitter, but rather, delicious.

When we talk about strong cigars, many of which are bitter, we are actually talking in three different languages. We define bitterness differently and especially what we perceive as excessively bitter is often like comparing apples and oranges.

I don't enjoy bitter cigars, but I tolerate a little bitterness. You have to tolerate a little of this or that to be a cigar smoker anyway, since unexpected flavors pop up all the time. I have a lot of dollar cigars that taste as bitter as my more pricey triple-ligeros or extra-fuertes. Sure, they lack the complex flavors that accompany the bitterness in the expensive cigars, but unless you enjoy that bitterness, it ruins everything and nothing else matters except where to toss the cigar.

I've pondered the term "strong" in reference to cigars. For me, it would refer to either the nicotine punch or how heavy the flavor is. There are times when I want a strong, tasty cigar, like when I'm having a nicotine fit. When I'm in the mood to smoke all day, I like milder cigars like Gisperts.

But bitterness? I always assumed that bitterness was a MISTAKE until I read a review a few hours ago comparing a certain cigar with a cup of double expresso and giving it 4 stars for its bitterness. Obviously we are dealing with different taste buds, not just different tastes.

What is a strong cigar to you? What do you mean by strong? How about bitter? Where do you stand?
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

theoldcc

I haven't thought about it that way, but i guess i like bitternes.  I love strong black coffee and a good bitter IPA beer.  I also like a stronger cigar over a weaker one, but haven't made the comparison so much of it being bitter.  I guess it is too some extent, but not like the bitter i think of with other foods.  Just a different kind of strong.

*P
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

monteclaro

I prefer the stronger cigars over the weaker ones for sure.  As far as bitternes, I guess i've had some strong smokes that could be compared to strong coffee.  I do like bitterness so a cigar that is bitter would not bother me.

JF
Hmmm...what to smoke, what to smoke...
http://www.cigargeeks.com/humidor/default....mber=monteclaro

SenorPablo

I could compare many cigars to a strong cup of coffee.  But I love strong black coffee and not sure I would call it bitter so much.  I can kind of see a bitter cigar but it would have to have a lot of other great flavors to balance it.
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

monteclaro

Not a fan of the bitterness, but do like coffee flavors coming out in a cigar so i guess i'm torn somewhat on how to answer.  What cigar was it that was rated?

JF

ljlemer

Senor Pablo, the fact that you don't consider black coffee bitter places you in the third category, those least sensitive to bitterness. Children know black coffee is bitter, and many adults never outgrow their strong childhood aversion to bitterness. They are category one.
I'm a weak category two myself. I can drink black coffee now, provided it isn't Latin coffee-
cafe robusto-or expresso. It would have to be filtered also.

Thomas Mann

ljlemer

Monteclaro, I based my question about bitterness on a range of cigars that disappointed me because of their bitterness. They include most strong Gurkhas like the triple ligero and extra fuerte. Most Rocky Patels fall into that category, too. We all know cigars that fit this description.

Thomas Mann

theoldcc

I guess i would fall into category 3 as well since bitterness doesn't bother me.  To answer your second though, i believe strength refers to the nicotine kick.  I think sometimes people use the term to describe the fullness of flavors as well or amount of spiciness.

*P
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

SenorPablo

Quoteljlemer - 8/26/2007  12:23 AM

Senor Pablo, the fact that you don't consider black coffee bitter places you in the third category, those least sensitive to bitterness. Children know black coffee is bitter, and many adults never outgrow their strong childhood aversion to bitterness. They are category one.
I'm a weak category two myself. I can drink black coffee now, provided it isn't Latin coffee-
cafe robusto-or expresso. It would have to be filtered also.

That sounds like me.  Good analysis.  So I guess the real question is: is bitterness a good or bad thing?  To me, I would not want to taste a bitter cigar.

Strength to me is the level of nicotine.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

monteclaro

Quoteljlemer - 8/26/2007  12:29 AM

Monteclaro, I based my question about bitterness on a range of cigars that disappointed me because of their bitterness. They include most strong Gurkhas like the triple ligero and extra fuerte. Most Rocky Patels fall into that category, too. We all know cigars that fit this description.

Oh man...I really love the RPs.  I can't say I have had any i would describe as bitter.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.