Cigar "bleeding"

Started by ljlemer, 08/24/2007 05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljlemer

I just made up the term cigar bleeding.  It refers to the tendency of some cigars to surrender copious juices when mixed with saliva like a teabag in hot water. Some cigars don't let go of a drop of nicotine juice, like they were dry-cleaned before rolling.
Obviously there will be mild and strong juices and nicotine contents. Also, I chew and suck my cigars, which might not be a universal activity. If you don't wet kiss your cigar, this will not be an issue. Some cigars start bleeding right away, others only towards the end. Cigar juice is rapidly absorbed through the oral mucosa and I find it can be too much too fast. I've had to put out delicious cigars halfway through. I've also tried squeezing out the juice with a paper towel. That postpones the inevitible for a while, but has to be repeated over and over, unless you've got dry mouth syndrome.

I just smoked a Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur that was thicker and longer than a Churchill. It smelled and tasted delicious, but the mouth tip (what do they call it?) was poorly constructed and began caving in right away, necessitating my biting into the cigar higher up. I had quite a big mouthful that got wet and began bleeding. In moderation that juice is flavorful, but just like a tea bag, it kept bleeding more and more. Halfway through I had to toss it. How do I rate a cigar like that? Delicious. A really superb, high-class taste only the best mixers and curers can achieve. And then the negatives I listed. I realize the bleeding can be a plus for some smokers just like the bitterness can be.

Can you relate? Where do you stand?
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

theoldcc

I like the  term.  The Excalibur is a very god smoke from HdM.  I haven't had one where the head came apart like that (head is the term you were looking for.)  As far as the juices, some cigars definitely produce more full juices than others.  The fuller the body the more you get the mouthful of flavor. I perosnally like it.  Only problem is that some are so strong you need to be on a full stomach before smoking.  An Opus is a great example of a cigar that can catch you off guard.

*P
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

mistagordo

Sometimes the bleeding is too much for me and my stomach.  I have to really want one that I know will kick my ass going into the smoke.  Tatuajes come to mind along with the Don Pepin black label (belicoso?)  However, if i'm in the mood then bring it on.

Steve

ljlemer

I wouldn't say the head came apart. I'd save coming apart for unraveling or allowing the contents to exit in my mouth. It collapsed when I expected it to hold the grip of my teeth.
It fell flat but didn't unravel or release its insides, which is probably more of a problem with mixed and short fillers, which I never knowingly buy anyway.

I love a little bleeding, but bleeding I have to encourage, like milking a cow, not bleeding that is more like flooding.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

SenorPablo

:blech: Not a fan of flooding.  If i find myself in that situation I wind up spitting a lot...kind of like chewing tobacco spit - nasty!
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.