NCAA Bracket Tourney at Cigars Direct

Started by SenorPablo, 03/14/2009 08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SenorPablo

Got an email about this from Cigars Direct.  A FREE NCAA bracket tournament with some sweet prizes for the top 10 winners:

1st Place is a  2008 Opus X Charity Box - 22 Count...retail value: $999.95
2nd Place is a sealed box of Opus X Robusto...retail value of $839.55
3rd Place is a sealed box of Hemingway Between The Lines... retail value of $799.95
4th Place is a sealed box of Arturo Fuente Anejo #77 "Shark"...retail value of $575.95
5th Place is a sealed box of Padron 1964 Anny Torpedo Natural...retail value of $319.95
6th Place is a sealed box of 2006 God Of Fire Robusto Tubo...retail value of $184.75
7th Place is a sealed box of Hemingway Short Story...retail value of $139.99
8th Place is a sealed 1992 Rare Estate Opus X Robusto Tin...retail value of $94.95
9th Place is a sealed box of Padon 1926 Serie Sampler Maduro...retail value of $74.95
10th Place is a $50 Gift Certificate toward any purchase on Cigarsdirect.com...retail value of $50.00

Details to sign up are here:
http://www.cigarsdirect.com/ProductCart/pc/viewcontent.asp?idpage=11

Also don't forget to sign up for our friendly CigarGeeks bracket set up by Ted:
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=2360.0

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

podman28

mhuss

Damn, if it's free, I'm in.  Look at those prizes.  Holy crap.  Even if you don't know anything about college basketball, it's worth the time to get in.  Thanks for posting that info.  I'm heading over there now to sign up.

Duker511

I was just coming here to tell everyone!!! This is the tourny I did last year, everyone that played got a sweet Fuente sampler. Im not saying they will do that this year but most likely they will.

Last year they gave the grand prize to the winner, and the guy that came in LAST place too. It was a BIG cabinet humidor, like 5000 count big, with a bunch of cigars, it was like a $1500 prize. This year aint to shabby though, Id take any of them. :-)
Tim

junglepete

I signed up but don't have a clue what I am doing. I got emails coming from strangers talking about brackets. I am completely lost and only know that tomorrow I am supposed to pick brackets and I don't know what a bracket is, how to pick it, and what to do with it. I know nothing about basketball either...is there other sports I can work with. Can anyone explain in a nutshell what this is all about and how does one go about winning. I love the prizes and so I signed up :confused:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

tnt956

Don't worry, this is one thing you really don't need a clue about. Honestly, my experience has been the more time and research you put into it, the worse you do!

Duker511

It very easy Pete, if you were able to figure out how to sign up the rest is easy. Today you just go to the CBS site and follow the directions. They will show you a screen with all the games and you just pick the winner, easy.
Tim

tnt956

A "bracket" is the name of your team (with Yahoo, at least). Once you establish your team, then make your picks (tournament picks are tonight so you won't be able to make your picks until later tonight or tomorrow).

junglepete

Okay, thanks guys...I'll give it a crack.  :-)
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

junglepete

Will it be possible for me to do Hockey, or is it just Basketball?
Guru of Frugality

tnt956

Duker511

I made my picks and Im ready to win it all. Last year I didnt do very good, I went by hunches, this year I went by statistics, a much better idea. :biggrin:
Tim

junglepete

I never watched a full game in my life...so you can guess what my guessing was like...It went by what names I liked.  :confused:
Guru of Frugality

lowpro75

I joined this one too.  I have a special system that guarantees that I don't win.  This is tried and true tested every year.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

lowpro75

I still need to join the yahoo geek league but it is blocked at work.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Duker511

Quotejunglepete - 3/16/2009  1:43 PM

I never watched a full game in my life...so you can guess what my guessing was like...It went by what names I liked.  :confused:

I have never watched a whole game either. I use the ranking number next to then team name, the higher ranked team is the one I pick, with a few exceptions, because I like the name of the team. This system has never worked out but you never know. :confused:
Tim

tnt956

I worked with a girl once who picked the teams based on their mascot. She won the whole thing!

mhuss

For those of us involved with this contest through Cigars Direct and CBS, it's no longer a contest.  CBS found out that Cigars Direct was offering all the prizes and whatnot to the top players and pulled the plug on it.  CBS is allowing the 'league' to continue, that is, as long as Cigars Direct pulls their prizes and free offers to the winners.  So for those of us in this contest, you won't be winning anything.  It's merely for fun now.    :mad:

Here's a link to the post that Juan from Cigars Direct posted on the contest message board at 2:16 pm today:     http://robusto.mayhem.cbssports.com/messages/message/robusto/1237573005-cigarsdirect

stogie_foggie

Quotemhuss - 3/20/2009  12:52 PM

For those of us involved with this contest through Cigars Direct and CBS, it's no longer a contest.  CBS found out that Cigars Direct was offering all the prizes and whatnot to the top players and pulled the plug on it.  CBS is allowing the 'league' to continue, that is, as long as Cigars Direct pulls their prizes and free offers to the winners.  So for those of us in this contest, you won't be winning anything.  It's merely for fun now.    :mad:

Here's a link to the post that Juan from Cigars Direct posted on the contest message board at 2:16 pm today:     http://robusto.mayhem.cbssports.com/messages/message/robusto/1237573005-cigarsdirect

That makes me feel better.  I was sucking bad in that pool.....  
 :biggrin:
"... watch how much evil, which we call crime..."  - Ray Lewis

mhuss

Quotestogie_foggie - 3/20/2009  2:54 PM
That makes me feel better.  I was sucking bad in that pool.....   :biggrin:

Not me!  For once I was doing pretty well.  Of the 20 games played so far, I have 17 correct.  It's just my luck!  But it's also my luck that at some point, I would have started losing a bunch of games and fall out of contention.  So either way I would not have won much of anything.  Oh well!

stogie_foggie

Quotemhuss - 3/20/2009  12:59 PM

Quotestogie_foggie - 3/20/2009  2:54 PM
That makes me feel better.  I was sucking bad in that pool.....   :biggrin:

Not me!  For once I was doing pretty well.  Of the 20 games played so far, I have 17 correct.  It's just my luck!  But it's also my luck that at some point, I would have started losing a bunch of games and fall out of contention.  So either way I would not have won much of anything.  Oh well!

No worries, Mike!  We still have ours....  I would rather play with guys I know anyway.

SenorPablo

Damn.  I was actually doing good (for this early.)  18 correct picks.  The first place folks have 19 correct picks.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

stogie_foggie

QuoteSenorPablo - 3/20/2009  1:02 PM

Damn.  I was actually doing good (for this early.)  18 correct picks.  The first place folks have 19 correct picks.

-Paul

Ah man, that sucks.  I had 15 and was ranked like 594.....  no chance.  With that many people, you can only lose 1 or 2 to win.

SenorPablo

Yeah.  I think you'll have to be in the first group tied with the best picks.

lowpro75

That kinda blows but what are you going to do. :confused:   I was doing pretty bad anyway.  I saw Podman up near the top though.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.