Connecticut Seed???

Started by monteclaro, 09/11/2007 08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monteclaro

I had, apparently incorrectly, assumed that the great Connecticut wrapper was grown in Connecticut.  Apparently they can take the same seed and grow it elsewhere.  I guess this would be unsurprising, but I have to say I was surprised that the Connecticut wrapper was being grown in other countries but still being called Connecticut.

I know they do this with Cuban seed tobacco as well.  I just didn't realize this was also the case with my favorite wrapper.  It very disappointing.  I guess I really need to pay attention about where it is actually grown.

Here's an example:
http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/search/stats.cfm/inum/21808
"Ecuadorian Connecticut seed wrapper" - what BS!

Maybe i'm just getting too excited over this. :confused:  Was I the only one that didn't realize this?

JF
Hmmm...what to smoke, what to smoke...
http://www.cigargeeks.com/humidor/default....mber=monteclaro

theoldcc

I have to say i'm surprised as well.  I didn't realize they were making counterfeit Conn wrappers either.  But hey - it's a RP and I can't say anything bad about them  ;-)  I just cant talk smack about one of my favorite smokes.
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

ljlemer

They are not being deceptive. They are stating clearly what it is. Many tobacco-growing regions are diversifying their production by growing a variety of tobacco strains within their own borders. The result is a kind of hybrid flavor.

I have discussed with Paul the dilemma of how to label the leaf in our database and reviews. We are given the choice of calling it Connecticut or Ecuadorian, but not Ecuadorian growth Connecticut leaf. There is, however, space at the bottom to explain it better.

We have the same situation with many other crops. Mandarin oranges are grown all over tthe world, for example, despite bearing the name of a Chinese region, ethnic group and language. Many countries grow French grapes and make French-style wines. As long as they label their product clearly, what's the harm?

Connecticut tobacco is not native to Connecticut. It came from, I believe, Cuba, a few centuries ago.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

mistagordo

I think the thing about Connecticut wrappers is not so much the seed, but the climate and way it is grown.  The soil conditions in the river area and the amount and intensity of sun (or lack thereof), couple with the fact that they grow it under filtered light for the shade wrapper give it its distinct flavor.  I think people are pretty aware of the popularity of this tobacco and might be using the term to attract customers.  I read somewhere that the connecticut wrapper goes for over $40 a pound given its limited production.  So go figure - they now grow that seed in Ecuadore and other places.  Maybe they have found places down there that much the gorwing conditions.

As Larry pointed out, if the Connecticut wrapper was originally seed from Cuba.  Then what they are really selling is Cuban seed, no?

I guess with any cigar as long as you like it then that's all that matters. :-)

Steve

theoldcc

Yeah.  I guess I just should try a few and see if they compare to the "real" Connecticut maduro wrapper.

*P
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

ljlemer

Ecuador is a country with many different growing regions. All are on the equator, which is very different than a temperate zone like Connecticut, but Ecuador has high mountain valleys and low coastal plains, as well as Amazon jungle and everything in between. They have plenty of places to experiment with.

It's partially Connecticut's fault for keeping supplies low and prices high.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.