how would i clean up this pipe?

Started by grabow66, 09/28/2013 10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grabow66

Any suggestions? I am leading in a auction on eBay for this pipe. If I win, how am I going to clean it?
If at first you dont succeed you are running about average.

ljlemer

Are you interested in cleaning the outside or inside? I hate when they don't show you what the bowl looks like. I would only be interested in carefully reaming the bowl. Meerschaum can crack it you ream it like a briar. Also disinfecting the stem with vodka or whiskey. The outside looks find.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

grabow66

The pipe has a lot of that great coloring but some of it looks like filth. If I win it I will post more pics

grabow66

jdwaynes1980

Place a couple of pipe cleaners as far in the stem as possible to block access to it from the bowl. Pack the bowl with salt, and slowly fill with rubbing alcohol until all salt is saturated. Let sit overnight, then clean out hardened salt. Rinse and repeat several times.

After the inside is clean, place a scoop or two of Oxy  Clean in a bowl of water. Do not stir, or mix at all. Place your pipe in the bowl, and let it sit overnight. You will have a film on your pipe that will easily buff off.

This is how I restored my great grandfathers pipe to near new condition.

If this screws up your pipe, I take no responsibly, so try at your own risk. This method was used on briar pipes, so not sure of the effect on yours.
Roll Tide!

ljlemer

Never use the same chemicals on both briar and meerschaum! They generally either work for one or the other! They are completely different materials. Consult expert websites before doing anything.
The recipe above sounds like it would destroy, possibly dissolve, meerschaum, which is a mineral hydrous magnesium silicate.

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/cleaning-up-estate-meerschaums-fred-bass/

My meerschaum realy needs a good cleaning.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

grabow66

That's what I'm afraid of. There just isn't much out there on restoring old meers

jdwaynes1980

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be a good idea, but just tossing out the only tiny bit of information I know on the subject, lol.

Good luck with the clean up, it's an awesome pipe!
Roll Tide!

metalhead y cigarguy

If you've never cleaned a meerschaum pipe before and its really gunked up  then I suggest sending it to someone with experience cleaning them.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

grabow66

If I win it, I may just do that.

wescat

The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

toby2

Quotewescat - 9/29/2013  2:04 PM  Here is a lengthy article on the subject:  http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/cleaning-up-estate-meerschaums-fred-bass/[/QUOTE]

great info!

ROTHNH

Meerschaum is soluble in water.  A Slighlty moist, clean cloth, applied judiciously, will help remove the grime.  Keep in mind the coloring is permanent and arguably part of a meerschaum's charm -- it colors as it's smoked.

Never use "rubbing alcohol" on any pipe.  The 70% rubbing alcohol contains a bunch of added ingredients and is nearly 30% water.  It doesn't evaporate very well.  The 70% is great for sore muscles and massages, terrible for pipes.  The 90%-95% alcohol (NOT denatured) is fine -- if you're not sure, as your pharmacist to get the right stuff.  I use Everclear, it's 190 proof and it's potable -- $10 a fifth here, but it lasts a very long time, I prefer using potable alcohol, adds no flavors, and evaporates quickly.

Unlike briars, any cake in a meerschaum is a bad thing.  If this pipe has cake, it needs to be carefully removed.  Keep your meerschaum "cakeless" by carefully removing the debris once the pipe has cooled and "ream" it with a clean paper towel.

Do some reading on cleaning estate meerschaums.  I'll start you with this piece by Fred Bass, who is probably to most renowned meerschaum pipe expert in the USA:

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/cleaning-up-estate-meerschaums-fred-bass/

I love my meerschaum pipes.  They're more delicate than briars, so they definitely aren't "pocket pipes," but properly maintained, meers provide the cleanest, driest smoke -- if you want to taste a blend best, reach for a meerschaum.

Good luck!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.