I got a pipe

Started by MT21, 10/21/2013 06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT21

My brother in law gave me a pipe of his while on vacation.  (I'll have to post a picture later.)  I like the idea that I can have a short smoke which a cigar can't always provide me.

Now I've got to figure out what tobaccos to put in it.  There's a Tinderbox cigar and tobacco shop in Tacoma.  I'm thinking of going there to see what they have to offer.  

Who do you make your on-line pipe tobacco purchases from?   Since coming to CG my palate for cigars has definitely changed.  I don't want to start out on Sir Walter Raleigh.  Or do I?

Thanks for your help.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

Bogglor

Plenty of good online tobacco sources.  Hunt around these boards or the Internet at large - the top 3 are smokingpipes.com, pipesandcigars.com, and 4noggins.com.  

No, you don't want to start out on Sir Walter Raleigh, nor do you want to start out on aromatics.  You should start smoking something that is reasonably mild on the tongue while you get your feet under you.  Smoking a pipe takes time and practice.  You can start out with something very easy like Carter Hall (an OTC pipe tobacco, not really known for its taste but for its ease of blending with other tobaccos) or a milder English tobacco like Northwoods from Boswell's (you have to call and order this, they are very old school).  Good luck!

toby2

http://www.cupojoes.com/ Cup O' Joes is good people too.

grabow66

Cup o Joes, smokingpipes.com is another. There's also www.pipesandcigars.com which is now owned by CI. I get most of my pipe stuff from there or CI
If at first you dont succeed you are running about average.

MT21

Well here it is.  I went to Tinderbox tonight and got a carry pouch, pipe tool, pipe cleaners, and 1/2 oz each of Wilshire and Norse Gold.  The Wilshire is the #1 selling pipe tobacco from that shop.  It's not an aromatic.  (Flavored if that's what aromatic means.)

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

toby2

lubrix

Enjoy the pipe,I love it in the colder weather.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

nirab

I am still very intrigued by pipes, and would love to give em a try. I just don't know anything about them. Any thoughts from our pipe smokin' geeks?  :confused:  :shades:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

MT21

Quotenirab - 10/24/2013  10:58 AM

I am still very intrigued by pipes, and would love to give em a try. I just don't know anything about them. Any thoughts from our pipe smokin' geeks?  :confused:  :shades:
I'm with you on that one Brian. I'm sure there's enough pipe enablers here on the site to tell us all we need to know.

Gurkha free zone.

Bogglor

Quotenirab - 10/24/2013  1:58 PM

Be prepared to commit some time (and money obviously), that's my advice.  I got into pipes pretty heavily last Fall and now have 4 pipes and a chest of about 80 different tobacco jars.  I didn't touch them at all this summer as I do still favor cigars.  For me, the pipe is for the winter time, for colder climates when you just don't want to sit outside and commit to an entire cigar.  You want to be able to go in whenever it gets cold.  My wife forbids smoking indoors so, it is what it is.

There is a ton of flavor variance in the world of pipe tobacco that I enjoy, but I don't get the same satisfaction (nicotine wise) from it as I do with cigar smoking.  And it takes time to learn how to smoke a pipe correctly.  I fragged my tongue too many times to count in the first month.  You'll read a lot of advice that says start with a corncob.  My advice is don't.  Start with a reasonably priced briar pipe like a Savinelli Tevere - a really good pipe that won't break the bank.  I have one and I love it - you can opt to either use or not use the filter.  I'd advise using it if you start on Virginia based blends.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/index.cfm?tag=Tevere

For tobacco, the sky's the limit.  As I said earlier in the thread, don't start with aromatics.  And I wouldn't necessarily recommended starting with full blooded English blends either.  You want some nice easy Burley or Virginia based blends to get a feel for it and to save your tongue from incineration.  GL Pease makes great tobaccos, you can't go wrong with his stuff IMO.  If you want further help, let me know.

cibolodave

all the above are great choices. try bigstarcigar.com and 4noggins.com as well

nirab

QuoteBogglor - 10/24/2013  1:46 PM

Quotenirab - 10/24/2013  1:58 PM

Be prepared to commit some time (and money obviously), that's my advice.  I got into pipes pretty heavily last Fall and now have 4 pipes and a chest of about 80 different tobacco jars.  I didn't touch them at all this summer as I do still favor cigars.  For me, the pipe is for the winter time, for colder climates when you just don't want to sit outside and commit to an entire cigar.  You want to be able to go in whenever it gets cold.  My wife forbids smoking indoors so, it is what it is.

There is a ton of flavor variance in the world of pipe tobacco that I enjoy, but I don't get the same satisfaction (nicotine wise) from it as I do with cigar smoking.  And it takes time to learn how to smoke a pipe correctly.  I fragged my tongue too many times to count in the first month.  You'll read a lot of advice that says start with a corncob.  My advice is don't.  Start with a reasonably priced briar pipe like a Savinelli Tevere - a really good pipe that won't break the bank.  I have one and I love it - you can opt to either use or not use the filter.  I'd advise using it if you start on Virginia based blends.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/index.cfm?tag=Tevere

For tobacco, the sky's the limit.  As I said earlier in the thread, don't start with aromatics.  And I wouldn't necessarily recommended starting with full blooded English blends either.  You want some nice easy Burley or Virginia based blends to get a feel for it and to save your tongue from incineration.  GL Pease makes great tobaccos, you can't go wrong with his stuff IMO.  If you want further help, let me know.

Thanks for the input!  :bigthumbs:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

nirab

QuoteMT21 - 10/24/2013  1:08 PM

Quotenirab - 10/24/2013  10:58 AM

I'm with you on that one Brian. I'm sure there's enough pipe enablers here on the site to tell us all we need to know.

Yea, we are in big trouble if we figure this out Mark!  :biggrin:  :crazy:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

toby2

Quotenirab - 10/24/2013  1:58 PM  I am still very intrigued by pipes, and would love to give em a try. I just don't know anything about them. Any thoughts from our pipe smokin' geeks?  :confused:  :shades:

well I started smoking pipes several times and gave up before I finally got it. smoking a pipe is much like learning to ride a motorcycle. I can tell you how it works and then you will have to figure it out as you go. I think a small pipe is best. it will teach you about keeping the heat down and how to sip at the bowl rather than puffing away. your scorched tongue will be your guide but don't give up just keep at it until it clicks. i'm just a novice but it worked for me. good luck.

nirab

Quotetoby2 - 10/24/2013  5:20 PM

Quotenirab - 10/24/2013  1:58 PM  I am still very intrigued by pipes, and would love to give em a try. I just don't know anything about them. Any thoughts from our pipe smokin' geeks?  :confused:  :shades:

well I started smoking pipes several times and gave up before I finally got it. smoking a pipe is much like learning to ride a motorcycle. I can tell you how it works and then you will have to figure it out as you go. I think a small pipe is best. it will teach you about keeping the heat down and how to sip at the bowl rather than puffing away. your scorched tongue will be your guide but don't give up just keep at it until it clicks. i'm just a novice but it worked for me. good luck.

Thanks Toby!  :bigthumbs:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

metalhead y cigarguy

Very cool Mark!  Looks like a nice pipe.  Tinder Box is a nice tobacconist, but if you want to order online I would suggest; SmokingPipes.com, 4noggins.com and/or MilanTobacconist.com.  These 3 vendors will ship pipe tobacco to WA state where as most online vendors will not due to WA state laws.  That Wilshire tobacco is actually Lane Limited 1Q, but sold under the Wilshire name at their shops. 1Q/Wilshire is a very nice tobacco if you like aromatics. I enjoy it on a regular basis.  I might also suggest getting some Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding, Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River, McClellands Blue Mountain, any of McClellands Frog Morton blends, but my favorites or Cellar and On the Town. Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader, SG Perfection and SG Skiff Mixture are also great blends.

If you have any questions or need help with anything feel free to PM me or text me. Happy Smoking!
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

ROTHNH

QuoteMT21 - 10/23/2013  10:24 PM

Well here it is.  I went to Tinderbox tonight and got a carry pouch, pipe tool, pipe cleaners, and 1/2 oz each of Wilshire and Norse Gold.  The Wilshire is the #1 selling pipe tobacco from that shop.  It's not an aromatic.  (Flavored if that's what aromatic means.)

FWIW, Tinderbox's bulk blends are made by Lane Limiited and Peter Stokkebye.  Their "Wilshire," for example, is actually the Lane Ltd. "1Q" which is the best selling bulk pipe tobacco in America and has been for quite a few years now.  Tinderbox also sells (or used to sell? I haven't been in a Tinderbox on years) Tinderbox brand canned/tinned tobacco made them by McClelland that wasn't half bad.

grabow66

I'm one of these start with a cob guys. I keep cobs in my rotation and they smoke just as well if not better than my high end pipes. Plus, you may just decide that pipe smoking is not for you. I would hate to spend $50 on a lower end premium pipe and end up wasting my time and money. Start with a Missouri Meerschaum cob. www.corncobpipe.com
If at first you dont succeed you are running about average.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.