Lighting a pipe

Started by MT21, 10/25/2013 07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT21

My first smoke went pretty well last night.  I smoke outside on my back deck.  The weather was cool with no breeze so I was able to use wooden matches.  What do you use when a match just won't say lit because of breeze/wind?  Will a torch lighter do?  I've seen a category of Pipe Lighters at on-line sites but I haven't had time to check them out yet.  

Thanks for your help.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

lubrix

I use a matches for English blends and a Bic lighter for aromatics,a torch is too hot and can scorch the pipe.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

jumberlack1

Quotelubrix - 10/25/2013  11:27 PM

I use a matches for English blends and a Bic lighter for aromatics,a torch is too hot and can scorch the pipe.

I second this. Torches can ruin your bowl pretty fast. Bics and the like work well. Look for something with a soft flame.
Then again, if you have a windy-day-throw-away pipe, like a cheap corncob, when the torch scorched it beyond use, you have an excuse to get a new one.
Making bad decisions a profession!

Bogglor

Never use a torch.  A garden variety Bic lighter is fine or you can get a special pipe lighter with an angled flame if you have a really prized pipe that you don't want ANY scorching on the rim of the bowl.

The Burn Ward

The Lacardo Pipe lighter with the tools seems to be a good one. You can usually find a deal on Amazon and make sure you click the Amazon link on the left hand side of the Cigar Geeks site. Happy Smoking!

grabow66

NO TORCH. Pipe Lighter. I use a cheap Vertigo pipe lighter that hasn't failed me yet. I also have a Zippo pipe lighter but I have yet to use it.
If at first you dont succeed you are running about average.

ROTHNH

I tried Xikars (gave up after sending them back twice), the Lacardo (returned one to CI, they replaced it, and the second didn't work either) and a Thunderbird Zippo insert (pooped the sheets after a few weeks).

A Zippo (Zippo will replace the standard insert with a pipe insert for free) works well in a breeze -- just let it burn a couple seconds after lighting it to get rid of the lighter fluid smell).

I usually use matches, but I also use Djeep lighters now.  They have a large fuel reservoir, the flame is adjustable, and local tobacco discount store sells them for $1.29.

As others said here, keep a torch lighter the hell away from your pipe -- it's too hot a flame and will burn the crap out of the rim on your pipe before you even realize it.

Mojo66

I've heard good things about this one but that's from the only person I know that smokes pipes. I am not pipe expert.

Xikar Scribe Lighter

on sale here at 25% off
http://pipesandcigars.com/xisclibu.html
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

toby2

I use a flint light XiKar and it is the only one that hasn't been sent back multiple times. I like it. I second the no torch lighter for pipes.

Hot Stuff x

I use a torch to light my pipe.  I have a Zippo pipe lighter, but i don't draw hard enough to pull the flame down into the bowl.  A torch works perfectly, but you must be very careful, as stated above, to avoid damaging your pipe.   I light the lighter, then carefully aim the flame toward the center of the bowl for the charring light, and only give it a second (or less) of flame.   As you get further into the smoke, you can let the flame linger a little longer, but it only takes a touch of the flame.  Any longer and you risk burning your briar.
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.