Palio Cutter On The Cheap.

Started by wlfwalleye, 11/12/2013 06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlfwalleye

I just noticed that Gotham Cigars has the CAO branded Palio cutter for $19.99. Even with the $8.99 shipping fee that is the lowest price I have seen on a Palio.

Ken Kelley

I'm a Xikar fan but I know a lot of people like the Palios. I'll see if the bubbas over at Schwab's Pipes and Cigars have one I can try out next time I'm over in the big city.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

lubrix

That's a great price!,love my Palio.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

nwb

Quotelubrix - 11/12/2013  10:01 AM

:word:
Chief of Shaft

Rebecca Silverwolf

Quotenwb - 11/12/2013  5:46 PM

Quotelubrix - 11/12/2013  10:01 AM

:word:

Same here.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

MT21

I loved my Palio too until I got my Xicar V cutter....

Kyle is right though.  That's a great price on a Palio cutter.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

gitfiddl

I just ordered mine.  And they do have an option for $5.99 shipping, which with tax brought it in at just over $27.

:biggrin:

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

sticks2Ash

I have both a Palio and several Xikar. I prefer my Xikar but, if you want a Palio, You can get one on CBID for anywhere from $15 - $25 shipped depending on how the auction goes. I got mine ( camo ) for $23 after shipping. I went ahead and bought a few 5ers with it since it only adds .50 cents for each auction is shipping if you go with weekly
Please excuse my Bipolar.........

gitfiddl

I gotta give Gotham credit.  I ordered my Palio Saturday and it was delivered today!

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

FNA

"see if...have one I can try out next time I'm over in the big city"

How does that work - you cut a cigar?  Pull a .50 cutter out of the basket on the counter and cut a cigar - what will the difference be between that and the $20 palio?

nwb

QuoteFNA - 12/6/2013  12:29 PM

How does that work - you cut a cigar?  Pull a .50 cutter out of the basket on the counter and cut a cigar - what will the difference be between that and the $20 palio?

Have you ever tried a Palio?  I've never seen a better straight cut - hundreds of uses, still sharp, and not one mangled head.  I doubt a .50 cutter would do the same.  Just my .02.
Chief of Shaft

The Burn Ward

QuoteFNA - 12/6/2013  12:29 PM

$.50 cutters suck. I've never used a Palio but I have a few quality cutters and they by far make a cleaner cut than the run of the mill liquor store/dollar options. I'll use my knife before using a $.50 cutter. However any decent shop will have a nice cutter for you to use.

FNA

I use .50 cutters all the time and if you think they can't make a quick, clean, straight cut, you're doing it wrong.

I've had the same .50 cutter in my pocket for at least six months.  I use that one twice a day, morning and evening, so that's hundreds of cuts already.  Worked just fine this morning, will work just fine tonight.  It will work just fine until it doesn't and then I'll pull another one since over the years I have invested in almost a dozen ($5 worth).  Just can't turn 'em down at 2 for a dollar.

Sure a Palio cuts straight and clean - but not straighter or cleaner than the cutter in my pocket or the downstairs scissors (a free premium 5 or 6 years ago) or the upstairs scissors ($6).  Maybe it's practice, I do smoke and therefore cut more cigars than most.

kxthor911

QuoteFNA - 12/9/2013  10:19 AM  I use .50 cutters all the time and if you think they can't make a quick, clean, straight cut, you're doing it wrong.  I've had the same .50 cutter in my pocket for at least six months.  I use that one twice a day, morning and evening, so that's hundreds of cuts already.  Worked just fine this morning, will work just fine tonight.  It will work just fine until it doesn't and then I'll pull another one since over the years I have invested in almost a dozen ($5 worth).  Just can't turn 'em down at 2 for a dollar.  Sure a Palio cuts straight and clean - but not straighter or cleaner than the cutter in my pocket or the downstairs scissors (a free premium 5 or 6 years ago) or the upstairs scissors ($6).  Maybe it's practice, I do smoke and therefore cut more cigars than most.

So they work just fine then?

Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Yes its fast, no you cant drive it.

nwb

QuoteFNA - 12/9/2013  11:19 AM

I use .50 cutters all the time and if you think they can't make a quick, clean, straight cut, you're doing it wrong.

I've had the same .50 cutter in my pocket for at least six months.  I use that one twice a day, morning and evening, so that's hundreds of cuts already.  Worked just fine this morning, will work just fine tonight.  It will work just fine until it doesn't and then I'll pull another one since over the years I have invested in almost a dozen ($5 worth).  Just can't turn 'em down at 2 for a dollar.

Sure a Palio cuts straight and clean - but not straighter or cleaner than the cutter in my pocket or the downstairs scissors (a free premium 5 or 6 years ago) or the upstairs scissors ($6).  Maybe it's practice, I do smoke and therefore cut more cigars than most.

Sounds like you are sitting on a gold mine.  Might want to invest in those bad boys - buy a bunch, sell them for $1.00, and make out like a bandit.  You can include an instructional video with each since we all don't know what the hell we are doing.
Chief of Shaft

StogieDad

QuoteFNA - 12/9/2013  11:19 AM

Maybe it's practice, I do smoke and therefore cut more cigars than most.

:lmao:

Yay!  May FNAs once monthly sh*# stirring commence!!!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

sjn1117

why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

redjj

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."  Albert Einstein

Ntxsage

I just want to know where the hell was Frank when I did the curmudgeon contest!
Did you know Stuart Scott almost made the Scripps National Spelling Bee as a child? Then the judges asked for skiing, but he only had one I. - acr

gitfiddl

QuoteNtxsage - 12/9/2013  2:41 PM

I just want to know where the hell was Frank when I did the curmudgeon contest!

He was busy bartering the price on a new cutter!

kxthor911

He wanted it free with the purchase of the $5 cigar and they said no it's a buck. Then he went out the store talking shyte.
Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Yes its fast, no you cant drive it.

FNA

If some people want to believe that one needs to spend $20 on a cigar cutter, they can believe it.  But I will speak up if someone broadcasts that cheap cutters don't work just fine.  Double edge guillotines are easily available at 2 for $1.  Pop the cap right off, no bits no splits.  Spend the left over $20 on cigars.

Ken Kelley

QuoteFNA - 12/9/2013  11:21 PM

If some people want to believe that one needs to spend $20 on a cigar cutter, they can believe it.  But I will speak up if someone broadcasts that cheap cutters don't work just fine.  Double edge guillotines are easily available at 2 for $1.  Pop the cap right off, no bits no splits.  Spend the left over $20 on cigars.

For a rare change, I will agree with Frank here. The cheap cutters work just as well as the more expensive versions....for as long as they last. I keep a cheap guillotine cutter in the pickup for those times I forget my Xikar. It's worked every time in spite of the abuse it's been through.

However, I don't think the shop giveaway cutters will last as long as the better versions. Any port in a storm works for me though.

The Burn Ward

:offtopic: ?
There are good cheap cutters but $.50?  Every week there are cheaper cutters on auction that go for a dollar and those are usually pretty good. When I think of an actual $.50 cutter I'm thinking of the thin single razor blade looking guillotine.

The top 2 are both Xikar and work like a dream, plus the V-cut serves as a cigar rest. The action is very smooth and precise on these as well.

The bottom 2 are useless.

The 2 to the right work great however the action isn't as smooth and they are also more susceptible to damage. I've dropped one similar to the green one and it broke into pieces and I've also had the finger loops break off before. The blades do dull faster as well.

Ken Kelley

QuoteThe Burn Ward - 12/10/2013  2:35 AM

:offtopic: ?
There are good cheap cutters but $.50?  Every week there are cheaper cutters on auction that go for a dollar and those are usually pretty good. When I think of an actual $.50 cutter I'm thinking of the thin single razor blade looking guillotine.

The top 2 are both Xikar and work like a dream, plus the V-cut serves as a cigar rest. The action is very smooth and precise on these as well.

The bottom 2 are useless.

The 2 to the right work great however the action isn't as smooth and they are also more susceptible to damage. I've dropped one similar to the green one and it broke into pieces and I've also had the finger loops break off before. The blades do dull faster as well.

There is NO SUCH THING as off topic here on the Geeks!  :biggrin: Everything we choose to say is on-topic no matter where the discussion leads! Part of the fun here is following the convoluted illogic of where some of these posts take us!  :biggrin:

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.