Question for you regular pipers

Started by gpd4, 11/18/2013 09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpd4

I don't smoke my pipes very often, but I do have a couple and a small assortment of tobacco.  My question: What do you think is the ideal RH to store pipe tobacco?  I have some in a ziplock that is the same as when purchased (moist) and everything I have in its original packaging is (I think) too dry...

Where should it be and how should I store it?

Thanks!

My greatest fear in life is that when I die, my wife sells my things for what I told her I paid for them...

toby2

ok i'll bite. was waiting for the other guys to chime in first.

jars are recommended to store open tins in. I like to buy in bulk once I figure I like something and wide mouth jars work great.

storing them in a cool place like your basement is recommended. I also do that.

storing open tins and cans together is not recommended but I have done it for a few years and haven't had any issues. I have a cabinet humidor about the size of an end table I use and I keep a few gel humidifiers in there. jars are better i'm sure but I have dozens of small cans in there and i'm lazy and it works for me. I do keep the Latakia separated though. I keep the cab in the middle 50's. the edit: its just for pipe tobacco, no cigars.

your results may vary. keep your arms and feet inside the ride at all times.

Romeo

I store all my tobacco in Ball Jars
I think there's to much smoke In this cigar shop I once heard someone say before I threw them out !

Ken Kelley

QuoteRomeo - 11/18/2013  11:46 PM

So WHERE the f**k have been and WHY the f**K haven't you showed up more around here to help out with the load?  :biggrin:

Good to see you again though!
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Mojo66

I got pipe smoking friends that believe RH should not be over 18% for pipe tobacco (10 to 18%).

I only smoke them occasionally but, although I do enjoy a good pipe, I prefer cigars. So I'm no expert.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

lubrix

QuoteKen Kelley - 11/19/2013  11:04 AM

So WHERE the f**k have been and WHY the f**K haven't you showed up more around here to help out with the load?  :biggrin:

Ken you only cuss like that when you're mad!....Did someone hurt your feelings today?.......
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

toby2

G. L. Pease is as good a source as I need. Check this article out.

"Some years ago, I did a little research to discover where an average tobacco will equilibrate at various relative humidity (RH) levels. This was prompted by some questions as to whether or not pipe tobacco could be stored in a cigar humidor. This isn’t a good idea for a couple of reasons. Tobaccos quickly take on flavors and aromas from their environment, and we don’t want our cigars tasting like pipe blends, or vice versa. And, it turns out that while cigars are happiest in the region of 65-70% RH, a somewhat lower range is more suitable for pipe tobaccos. At an RH of 60%, pipe tobaccos will tend to stabilize near 12% MBW, and by 66% RH, it will find itself approaching 14% MBW. At 70% RH, the tobaccos will go beyond 16% MBW, which, as discussed, is too high for proper smoking. Keep them separate. They’ll both be happier, and so will you."

05Venturer

I keep all my tobacco that I am not currently smoking and is not in a sealed tin in mason jars also, airtight so no need to worry about RH. Just dry what you smoke to your preference. I have never worried about RH with my pipe baccy.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Longhorn

QuoteKen Kelley - 11/19/2013  12:04 PM

Looks like you ran him off again...  :cry:

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.