Green Foam Replacement

Started by Brlesq, 12/29/2013 09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brlesq

It was time to do the regular change out of the green foam in my Cigar Oasis II XL before mold developed.  I read on another forum about using floral water beads as an alternative, and that these are less prone to mold, so I thought I would give them a try.

The packet below (pic 1) was purchased yesterday at WalMart for $3.99.  It is about as big as a seed packet.  I poured only 1/3 into my Oasis (pic 2) along with 1.5 quarts of distilled water. Within 6 hours, these rice-sized beads absorbed 40x their weight in H2O, and filled the entire container up (pic 3).  I don't see it to be any different as a water retention medium than green foam, but I'll report back later on the success of this.

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

toby2

I have two reservoirs I swap around for my large Hydra. I found that letting one dry out completely between swaps stops the mold growth. those beads look like the trick though. it takes a bit to get the foam to absorb all the water. the beads look easy.

lubrix

Good to know,keep us updated on the progress.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

mpurtle01

Mojo66

I've used those in the past but the results were not up to par. They went brown / black in a month or so and I stopped using them. Did not smell bad or show any signs of mold or anything, I just did not like the color they were turning to. They are one way humidification usually used for reptiles, plants and other stuff.

I've been using heartfelt (or equivalent 2 way humidification beads) since, with nothing negative to report. I add some Boveda packs in the dry (winter) season to stabilize all my humidors and coolerdors.

Hope you get better results than I did.

Sorry if I sound like I'm raining on your parade, just wanted to share my experience with them.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

ntanner

I use jar's with the jell made from the same stuff as the bead's and after a couple of year's I change them out as they start to loose their absorption ability. Other then that I have found them to be very effective for RH.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

wlfwalleye

I have been using the SAP crystals for 5+ years in my Cigar oasis and Hydra. I get them in bulk for the Greenhouse. They work really well for one way humidification. Just experiment a little with a combo of kitty litter or Heartfelt beads to really dial in the humidity. I replace them once a year just to be on the safe side and have never had a problem with mold or discoloration.

Brlesq

QuoteMojo66 - 12/29/2013  1:23 PM

I've used those in the past but the results were not up to par. They went brown / black in a month or so and I stopped using them. Did not smell bad or show any signs of mold or anything, I just did not like the color they were turning to. They are one way humidification usually used for reptiles, plants and other stuff.

I've been using heartfelt (or equivalent 2 way humidification beads) since, with nothing negative to report. I add some Boveda packs in the dry (winter) season to stabilize all my humidors and coolerdors.

Hope you get better results than I did.

Sorry if I sound like I'm raining on your parade, just wanted to share my experience with them.

Thanks for the input: its good to know and watch out for.  This is an experiment for me, so if I get the same results you did I will just have figure out another method.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Rbrushaber

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Rbrushaber

"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and courage of free me and women.  It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have."  Ronald Reagan
This quote is as true today as it was when I first heard it in the 1980s and joined the USAF...

Longhorn

Thanks for being the guinea pig, Bruce. I replace the green foam every 6 months, but would switch to those beads if they work.

Cfickter

thanks for sharing, always good to know about alternatives
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Cigary

There are as many alternatives to humidification as there is in birth control and some work while others don't.  I've used the green floral foam and almost every single one of them developed mold.  I have tried the water beads as well and they worked for awhile and as was said started to discolor and that creep'd me out so I went to gels but that became more labor intensive to equalize the amounts that were needed to keep my RH where I wanted it.  It was then I tried beads from Heartfelts....they worked for a couple of years and they discolored as well and gave off a little funk to them...so out they went after I tried KL...easiest thing to use and I was able to dial in whatever % I wanted and I'm still on the initial jug of KL I bought a few years ago for $15.  I know that everybody has their "go to" RH media and Im curios as to how this goes for you.

nwb

Looking forward to the results of your experiment.

I also have the Oasis II XL, and I've never replaced the green foam.  Mold has never developed. :confused:
Chief of Shaft

Brlesq

QuoteCigary - 12/29/2013  9:23 PM

There are as many alternatives to humidification as there is in birth control and some work while others don't.  I've used the green floral foam and almost every single one of them developed mold.  I have tried the water beads as well and they worked for awhile and as was said started to discolor and that creep'd me out so I went to gels but that became more labor intensive to equalize the amounts that were needed to keep my RH where I wanted it.  It was then I tried beads from Heartfelts....they worked for a couple of years and they discolored as well and gave off a little funk to them...so out they went after I tried KL...easiest thing to use and I was able to dial in whatever % I wanted and I'm still on the initial jug of KL I bought a few years ago for $15.  I know that everybody has their "go to" RH media and Im curios as to how this goes for you.

Gary, did you put the KL in an active humidifier?  I'd be good with that as I use KL in all of my other passive humidified cabinets.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

BewareDaPenguin

Do you have an update on this Bruce? I have a cigar oasis XL in my aging table and just ordered a hydra for my wineador I'm building, wondering your luck as I been hearing more people have been swapping out that green foam. My oasis foam still looks fine but I'm doing some research now as it's getting close to 6 months or so.
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

BewareDaPenguin

This got pushed off fast lol...

BewareDaPenguin

:bump: anybody have any experience with this?

BewareDaPenguin

Cigary

QuoteBrlesq - 12/29/2013  10:37 PM  
QuoteCigary - 12/29/2013  9:23 PM  There are as many alternatives to humidification as there is in birth control and some work while others don't.  I've used the green floral foam and almost every single one of them developed mold.  I have tried the water beads as well and they worked for awhile and as was said started to discolor and that creep'd me out so I went to gels but that became more labor intensive to equalize the amounts that were needed to keep my RH where I wanted it.  It was then I tried beads from Heartfelts....they worked for a couple of years and they discolored as well and gave off a little funk to them...so out they went after I tried KL...easiest thing to use and I was able to dial in whatever % I wanted and I'm still on the initial jug of KL I bought a few years ago for $15.  I know that everybody has their "go to" RH media and Im curios as to how this goes for you.
Gary, did you put the KL in an active humidifier?  I'd be good with that as I use KL in all of my other passive humidified cabinets.

I've used KL in just about every kind of setup...KL is such a great source of humidification in active/passive  that I don't use any other kind of source anymore....it's proved to me how it works for the last 5 years.

BewareDaPenguin

So you can replace the green foam with KL in the container for an active system?

Brlesq

Sorry, Adam, didn't see your post yesterday.

Yes, this system has worked VERY well.  Uses less water over time than the green foam, and they seem very clean with no signs of mold or other growths.  I have only needed to add water once a month now.  I also have bags of KL on different levels of my tower and they help keep my humidity rock steady. I do not add water to these.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

ROTHNH

I've been using something similar to those floral beads in my 20-25 stick desk humidors ... I use a DryMistStat in those boxes.  I check them every few weeks and refill to the line on each tube as needed with distilled water.

These DryMistStats are 3-5 years old now and still work fine, but I have noticed that the "crytsals" are getting brown in a couple of the older tubes now and it's taking a bit longer for the distilled water to be absorbed in those tubes ... It'sno big deal though, the ones getting brown still work OK (for now anyway) ... I'm guessing I'll just have to replaced a stick with a new one after 5-6 years of use, as I expect the distilled water's absorption to gradually be further impeded and need to be discarded at some point.

BTW, I've never had an issue with mold using these.

BewareDaPenguin

Awesome...I think I may switch to those beads in a few months. I don't want to risk the foam becoming moldy. It's only a few months old but I'd rather play it safe and change those every 6 months or so. Thanks for the help!

BewareDaPenguin

I was really interested in how it works with the active system? It doesn't seem like the foam was very absorbent I was surprised when I opened the cartridge and saw the "green foam" for how expensive it was, been looking to switch it out with something better. I keep a close eye on all my humidors so that's not an issue. I was concerned when I'd read about them getting moldy! So I'm gonna be changing out that foam soon. Thanks again!

southernrun

I've tried using those too and they do turn brown after a while. As to whether or not they develop molds faster than regular (green) floral foam, I can't say. I've been using red tiles (terra cotta) I had manufactured to fit my humidifier tray. I really like them because they hold water well, release the H20 slowly, and don't get any growth or molds forming on the surface. And if I feel like the tile is a little dirty or is getting there, then I just scrub it really well.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.