"A fine cigar is the essence of life. The tobacco plant comes from the earth, from which we ourselves were created. Like ourselves, each leaf grows and is nurtured individually, acquiring its own characteristics, and is then graded, sorted, and matured according to their special abilities. As tobacco comes to its graduation in the making of cigars, as with the making of adults, some is left on the cutting room table and become ordinary, run-of-the-mill products. Some graduate into leadership and areas of responsibility, but a few achieve greatness, and even a touch of immortality." -Prince Sined Yar Maharg

Main Menu

Candela Wrappers

Started by Proph, 09/21/2007 02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proph

One of the first real cigars I ever had, and the best, was a Don Tomas Candela Churchill.  It had a faint taste of grass, like eating a lawn, but it was smooth and burned cool and I could go on and on how yummy it was.  I'm constantly attempting to win candelas on cbid, unfortunately I have a very small budget for cigars monthly.  I'm wondering who else enjoys a lean green smoking machine?  

Has anyone tried those Thompson Cigars Iguanas?  Are they any good?

I'd like to see a double wrapper cigar, with a candela being one or both of them.  I recently had a CAO Cx2, with two Cameroon wrappers, and it was so delicious I can still taste it days later after having smoked another cigar.  Just thinking about it brings back the taste.  It's like when you think about another girl while with your significant other, cheating.  Haha.  Mixing a candela wrapper with a darker wrapper would be interesting.  Maduro or Oscuro.

I wonder if the incredible hulk smokes Candela cigars..
"Do not be too timid or squeamish about your actions, all life is an experiment." -Ralph W. Emerson

theoldcc

I personally have not had an Iguana - either the real one or the Thompson one.  But in general I like the darker wrappers.  As far as a double wrapper goes, I like the idea.  A lot of the flavor comes from the wrapper anyway.  They do have those barber pole wrappers out there.  That kind of qualifies as it is a mix of a lighter and darker wrapper.  Ever have one of those?

*P
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

ljlemer

Quoteccforme - 9/21/2007  9:32 AM

I personally have not had an Iguana - either the real one or the Thompson one.  But in general I like the darker wrappers.  As far as a double wrapper goes, I like the idea.  A lot of the flavor comes from the wrapper anyway.  They do have those barber pole wrappers out there.  That kind of qualifies as it is a mix of a lighter and darker wrapper.  Ever have one of those?

*P

I've had lots of iguanas. I have one now, but never the cigar. I know it's made of short or mixed fillers, so I won't buy it. I've had Gurkha Dos Capas, a barber pole. It was packed too loose.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

Proph

Never had a mixed wrapper like that.. they seem like they'd fall apart easily.. and I have a thing about picky cigars.  One time I had one that the wrapper was stuck to.. that was annoying..

I don't like uneven burns..
I don't like ones that cut bad.. fall apart or unravel when cut right..
I don't like loose cigars or tight cigars that don't draw..
etc etc

I'm really picky about cigars.

Also.. I really wonder sometimes how good a cigar would be if it was never shipped and changed humidity and temperature so much.  One of these days I'll find out, cause I think the loss of oils in shipping might be a factor.  I've had some cigars overseas.. and noticed some differences.  Ones in Russia.. way too dry.  I think cause of the temperatures there.  Ones in South Africa.. delicious.  Ones in Israel.. not as bad as Russia.. but not that great either.  And, I'm talking cubans.  Montecristo and Cohiba and RyJ.

I have to say.. I'm pretty impressed with El Rey del Mundo.. wherever I have smoked it.. it has been consistently a quality cigar.
"Do not be too timid or squeamish about your actions, all life is an experiment." -Ralph W. Emerson

ljlemer

QuoteProph - 9/21/2007  2:12 PM

Also.. I really wonder sometimes how good a cigar would be if it was never shipped and changed humidity and temperature so much.  One of these days I'll find out, cause I think the loss of oils in shipping might be a factor.  I've had some cigars overseas.. and noticed some differences.  Ones in Russia.. way too dry.  I think cause of the temperatures there.  Ones in South Africa.. delicious.  Ones in Israel.. not as bad as Russia.. but not that great either.  And, I'm talking cubans.  Montecristo and Cohiba and RyJ.

Having traveled myself, I would venture to say that the differences you found are 100% due to not storing the cigars in properly maintained humidors. Cigars everywhere are vulnerable to the climate, but cigars everywhere should be properly stored to prevent contact with that climate. It's like you surveyed the effects of cigar neglect in different countries. There are so many countries where knowledge of cigars is non-existent.

I don't know what the quality of Colombian cigar-grade tobacco is now, but I spent a few years there, the Watergate Years, and their cigars were awful. Some countries have no tradition of cigar smoking. Colombian cigars of that era would shock a Cuban today.

I love an occasional Candela.

Thomas Mann

Proph

Yeah.. most of the cigars in Russia are sold like everything else there.. right on the street.  Sitting in a display window instead of a humidor isn't the best place for a cigar.  Though, I did find a cigar store in Moscow that had ok brands and humidification.  Didn't care much for their overpriced dry cigars though.

ljlemer

I bid for a Baccarat Candela but lost this week. I'm trying to cancel a huge order I made with Thompson's for JAD cigars. Since it's backordered, I figure it should be no problem. I realized the last thing I needed were 6o cigars of the same brand that I've never tried.

Thomas Mann

Proph

Ouch.. I wouldn't push it.  20/25 is acceptable depending on the reviews of other customers and your knowledge of cigars, but going for 60, I don't think that's the best idea.  I bought 50 once.. I think it was Free Cuba or something.  The quality wasn't worth the price really.  It's hard to type when under your fingernail is burning from a hot pepper, I guess I have a cut or separation from the nail in there and making fresh salsa wasn't the best idea.  haha.  Anyways, half of them were of low quality and didn't smoke that great, lesson learned.

I've been trying to win some Candelas on cbid since I found it a month or so ago.. and nada.  I'm tempted to get some elsewhere if I can find a good deal.  I hate auctions.  

ljlemer

Winning is easy. Just overbid.

Thomas Mann

theoldcc

There's the devil in the site taking over your will power.

;-)

Quoteljlemer - 9/27/2007  12:27 PM

Winning is easy. Just overbid.
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.