Playing With Some Pipe Baccy.

Started by wlfwalleye, 01/01/2014 11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlfwalleye

Been wanting to try making my own crumble cake pipe baccy, so I ordered up a few different Virginias, Turkish Smyrna, Izmir, and Perique. I weighed everthing out and mixed it up real well. I made an improvised tobacco press. Now I just got to wait a couple of weeks to see how it comes out. I'll try to update this post when it comes out of the press. And then as it ages and I sample a bit of it.

metalhead y cigarguy

Very cool.  How long you going to keep it pressed together?
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

wlfwalleye

Glynn said in a video that he leaves his cake pressed for 2 weeks or so. I try that and see how it works out.

metalhead y cigarguy

I was wondering if you saw that video. Let me know how it turns out. Sounds like a good mix of baccy.

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

wlfwalleye

I had a box built up like the one in his video, but I stopped in at the dollar+ store today to get some shop rags and I found them bread loaf pans 2 for $5. I think they will work better and last a lot longer than the box would.

metalhead y cigarguy

Those look like they'll make for a good press. I like how you have 4 C clamps. Should make for a nice firm cake.

StogieDad

Geek ingenuity always on display here!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

mess24

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

ROTHNH

WTG, Kyle!

You'll probably have to "play around" with which specific leaves to use and how much of each, the amount of pressing time for the optimum results, and then the melding of the blend will take time as well.  But it's fun experimenting.

Please let us know how you're doing with it!

Ken Kelley

Heh! If you want your pipe tobacco PRESSED, this will do the job. How thin do you want it?  :biggrin:

Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Ken Kelley

Quotewlfwalleye - 1/1/2014  3:06 PM

Glynn said in a video that he leaves his cake pressed for 2 weeks or so. I try that and see how it works out.

Did you throw a little piece of board in that top pan to equalize the pressure a bit?

wlfwalleye

QuoteKen Kelley - 1/2/2014  12:00 PM

Heh! If you want your pipe tobacco PRESSED, this will do the job. How thin do you want it?  :biggrin:

Yah I got a 15 ton, 25 ton and a 50 ton presses out to the shop, but I was only using a small amount of baccy so I didn't think I needed the overkill. :biggrin:

wlfwalleye

QuoteKen Kelley - 1/2/2014  12:13 PM

Quotewlfwalleye - 1/1/2014  3:06 PM

Did you throw a little piece of board in that top pan to equalize the pressure a bit?

I used 1/2 inch polycarb cut to fit. Since I have a ton of that in the shop.

wlfwalleye

QuoteROTHNH - 1/2/2014  11:59 AM

WTG, Kyle!

You'll probably have to "play around" with which specific leaves to use and how much of each, the amount of pressing time for the optimum results, and then the melding of the blend will take time as well.  But it's fun experimenting.

Please let us know how you're doing with it!

I've tinkered with this blend for a couple of years in loose form and have it where I pretty much like it fresh and with a little age. I wanted to see how much a difference pressing it would make. We'll see how it goes.  :biggrin:

Mojo66

That's impressive.

You guys make me want to start pipe smoking.

My dad (may he rest in peace) was a big pipe smoker and I grew up with the delicious smells of pipe tobaccos.

I did smoke a pipe here and there but never as seriously as I smoke cigars but more and more it appeals to me.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

nwb

Very cool.  Looking forward to hearing about the results!
Chief of Shaft

Ken Kelley

I'm not a big pipe fan so can you fill me in on why you press the pipe tobacco?  :confused:

wlfwalleye

QuoteKen Kelley - 1/2/2014  3:51 PM

I'm not a big pipe fan so can you fill me in on why you press the pipe tobacco?  :confused:

In (Country Boy Terms) think of it as a summer sausage. Sure you can put all the ingredients together on a plate and eat it and it will taste decent. But when you mix them all together and press them into a sausage the flavors will change and meld together, some mellow out while others come forward. It also as far as I've heard expedites the aging process a little as well.

Longhorn

Learning from you guys too - so when you're done pressing, does it literally look like a cake of tobacco?  Why is this preferred over loose leaf?

McBryde

Did you put a binder in there, or is it just all pressed together moistly, and then it dries out pressed to make the cake?

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

wlfwalleye

QuoteLonghorn - 1/2/2014  4:36 PM

Learning from you guys too - so when you're done pressing, does it literally look like a cake of tobacco?  Why is this preferred over loose leaf?

Yah it will hopefully look like a flat cake of tobacco (think a thin hay bale).

IMO it's not necessarily preferred over loose leaf. It just alters the different levels of flavor you get out of it.  

wlfwalleye

QuoteMcBryde - 1/2/2014  7:14 PM

Did you put a binder in there, or is it just all pressed together moistly, and then it dries out pressed to make the cake?

E

No binder just a very tiny sprits of distilled water and a very tiny amount of Mycoban (an antifungal used in food products like bread, cheese, etc.) to keep it from growing mold. It won't be as solid as say a plug of leaf tobacco, but it should be a pretty solid cake that breaks apart pretty easily.

wlfwalleye

Time to see what I ended up with. I am extremely pleased with the cake. The bread pans worked like a charm minus a little flare around the edges and it is an extremely solid cake.

ThinBlueLine

Wow that is pretty cool...need to getting into pipe baccy
I enjoy romantic walks to my humidors...

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.