polymer crystals

Started by bstessl, 01/08/2014 04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bstessl

How does everyone feel about bulk crystals for humidification?  I bought a bit much of the small crystals.  They seem to be working fine with 50/50 solution for me.  I have to much for myself and I am willing to share if anyone wants any.  Call it a good will offering from the noob to anyone interested... lol.
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Ken Kelley

Quotebstessl - 1/7/2014  7:16 PM

How does everyone feel about bulk crystals for humidification?  I bought a bit much of the small crystals.  They seem to be working fine with 50/50 solution for me.  I have to much for myself and I am willing to share if anyone wants any.  Call it a good will offering from the noob to anyone interested... lol.

You must be talking about the kitty litter stuff, neh? They work really good with plain distilled water so there's no need to use the 50/50 stuff at added expense.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

bstessl

Not kitty litter,  the crystals that turn to Gel.  Like in a humidistick.

Jackal

I made my own polymeric stabilized humidification gel.  Works pretty well, and has been stable for 4 years with no mold/ bacteria.

Maybe I should market it  :?:

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

bstessl

Ken Kelley

QuoteJackal - 1/8/2014  1:17 AM

I made my own polymeric stabilized humidification gel.  Works pretty well, and has been stable for 4 years with no mold/ bacteria.

Yeah, but can you make crystals like the bubbas here in the holler? You can market those too for a lot more money!  :lmao:

bstessl

QuoteKen Kelley - 1/8/2014  12:33 PM

Yeah, but can you make crystals like the bubbas here in the holler? You can market those too for a lot more money!  :lmao:

The holler?

Ken Kelley

Quotebstessl - 1/8/2014  1:38 AM

QuoteKen Kelley - 1/8/2014  12:33 PM

The holler?

Holler = hollow (a narrow decline or cut in the Appalachian Mountains filled with hillbillies...alternate is valley or ravine/arroyo, however ravines/arroyos are usually filled with ethnic groups other than Appalachian-Americans)) See Appalachian Mountain Speech for more definitions.  :biggrin:

Guess you must be from the big city, eh?

bstessl

Near Chicago, lived in a few places around the east though.

Mojo66

QuoteJackal - 1/8/2014  1:17 PM  I made my own polymeric stabilized humidification gel.  Works pretty well, and has been stable for 4 years with no mold/ bacteria.   Maybe I should market it  :?:

Now I need to know how you did that, if you'll share. Love DIY stuff

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Longhorn

QuoteJackal - 1/8/2014  1:17 PM

For the newer Geeks, when Jackal speaks about humidification, rH, and most things scientific, you should pay close attention!  :respekt:

And yea, you should market that stuff!  :biggrin:

conditionZero

--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

Ken Kelley

Quotebstessl - 1/8/2014  2:03 AM

Near Chicago, lived in a few places around the east though.

Then you haven't ever run into hillbillies? WHOOO! Are you in for a thrill here on this site! Wait til you meet Bob!  :biggrin:

bmac7754

Those crystals are a neat item.  I bought some myself and used very small tupperware containers and drilled holes in the lids.  These stay expanded for a long time and not once seen mold on them, I do use the 50/50 solution.  Anyone looking to use them, I would take him up on his offer.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

bstessl

I have about a pound of the things... lol.   And as far as running into hillbillies, trust me I have known a few.  I lived in black Mountain NC for while,  a lot of my family is from Monterey,  TN.  I have my hillbilly moments myself... lol.   I have just never heard the term.

nwb

A very nice offer, regardless of being a newbie.  If I didn't already have everything I need, I'd take you up on it.
Chief of Shaft

BewareDaPenguin

Man I'm running an oasis XL plus in my large humi with the beads that's been doing real well...this is a topic I need to learn more about as I'd love 2 build my own custom humi someday...I've gotten some great ideas running in my head already lol (I use great loosely) but I could def get schooled in RH, etc...
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

BewareDaPenguin

Very generous offer tho, agreed...left that out!!!

bstessl

I actually have it all spate into one once packages (it looks sketchy lol).  If anybody does want just send me a pm.  I use those with my own 50/50.  I buy PG from Wallgreens and mix it myself.  So far so good, but I am all ears when it comes to advice.  (Cough, cough,  Jackyl)

sjn1117

Like Brad said, Jason is our resident genius. Most anything scientific you'll have a hard time stumping him with. That said I'm a bit curious about these beads so I would he up for trading for a bit. Pm on its way.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

Jackal

QuoteMojo66 - 1/8/2014  5:14 PM

QuoteJackal - 1/8/2014  1:17 PM  I made my own polymeric stabilized humidification gel.  Works pretty well, and has been stable for 4 years with no mold/ bacteria.   Maybe I should market it  :?:

Now I need to know how you did that, if you'll share. Love DIY stuff

Probably a little more DiY than most people can do, as you need a good chemistry set.

I dissolved smectite clay into water (1% clay concentration),  I then added an HASE rheology modifier, mixed in propylene glycol so that the final water/PG ratio would be 1:1, used an alkanolamine base to activate the HASE, and Voila I got a high viscosity gel of PG solution.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

bstessl

Wow... I don't understand that, but nice work!

gitfiddl

Quotebstessl - 1/8/2014  9:41 PM

I have about a pound of the things... lol.   And as far as running into hillbillies, trust me I have known a few.  I lived in black Mountain NC for while,  a lot of my family is from Monterey,  TN.  I have my hillbilly moments myself... lol.   I have just never heard the term.

Black Mountain qualifies.  :biggrin:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

bstessl

Anyone else interested?  Sending it out for free.

BewareDaPenguin

PM sent...ur very generous I can use these in my smaller humi"s...thanks in advance

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.