Rye Whiskey

Started by cavenbk, 01/09/2014 09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavenbk

I have been wanting to try Rye Whiskey, but have zero experience with it. I was wondering if there are any Geeks that enjoy rye that could provide some insight as to what you like, and what would be a good rye for someone to try that has never had it before? I have heard of some of the "bigger named" brands, i.e. Bullitt, Sazerac etc., but have not tried any.
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

Rebecca Silverwolf

I've really liked Bulleit, Templeton, and Dickel.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Jackal

I think that Bulleit would be a good rye for a beginner.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

The Burn Ward

kxthor911

QuoteThe Burn Ward - 1/10/2014  12:51 AM  Templeton Rye.

X10 best rye I have had. Somewhat hard to find for me. 

Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Yes its fast, no you cant drive it.

MikePA

You may laugh, but I'm partial to Fleischmann's Rye whiskey and have a hard time finding it these days. My father-in-law used it in his perfect Manhattan recipe which he taught me many years ago. As a result, there's a bit of nostalgia involved. There's not much selection of Rye in the PA State stores but the carried a brand called (ri)1, which was a Beam product, it was overpriced for what it was (the bad news) but if you can find it now it is heavily discounted (the good news). It isn't reviewed well but I quite enjoyed it in a perfect Manhattan w/twist.

I'll be following this thread and would very much like suggestions for a good rye for mixed drinks as I almost never drink it neat.

conditionZero

X2 on the Bulleit. I would go so far as to that it's good for the beginner and seasoned rye drinker alike. For the price, you can't beat it. Even though Bulleit is a "big" company, they make their products honestly.
--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

conditionZero

Here's a great site for anyone looking to try something new, or to navigate the myriad of choices faced at today's liquor stores...

http://www.proof66.com/
--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

ThinBlueLine

The only rye I've had was bulleit and it was great. So much so a friend who is a non spirit drinker loved it
I enjoy romantic walks to my humidors...

Longhorn

Bulleit is a decent rye.  I also like Hudson Rye from Tuthilltown Distillery in New York.

http://www.tuthilltown.com/products/aged-spirits/hudson-manhattan-rye

tvolball

Only Rye Whiskey I know is Rockin Rye....taste great after a few shots but you feel like crap in morning. My younger years of course  :biggrin:
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Brlesq

Rye in general is a bit dryer and less sweet than bourbon, and different Rye brands also vary in these characteristics.  My personal preference is towards the sweeter side, so my house brand is Sazerac.  My favorite Rye is Thomas H Handy Sazerac Straight Rye, which weighs in at 132 proof and is impossible to find.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

cavenbk

Thank you everyone for your input! I am going to make a trip to the State Store this weekend and check out the selection. See what is available and maybe come back to y'all again before I pull the trigger on anything.
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

Mojo66

What about Masterson's Rye Whisky - French Oak. Not on the cheap side but very very good. Smoothest one I've tried.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Brlesq

Enough of the whiskey talk already!  I've still got 4-5 hours more of work until I can enjoy some with a good cigar!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

BewareDaPenguin

Templeton & knob creek....I like both of them
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

Cigary

Can't really get behind any rye...must be because of my heritage.

Brlesq

QuoteCigary - 1/10/2014  1:46 PM

No, its because it doesn't substitute well in somebody's beloved Rusty Nail.  :biggrin:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Cigary

QuoteBrlesq - 1/10/2014  1:59 PM  
QuoteCigary - 1/10/2014  1:46 PM  Can't really get behind any rye...must be because of my heritage.
No, its because it doesn't substitute well in somebody's beloved Rusty Nail.  :biggrin:  

It's scary that you know me that well!

:biggrin:

conditionZero

Michter's is also a solid choice.
--JOE--

Jackal

QuoteBrlesq - 1/10/2014  10:59 AM

But it makes a great Old Fashioned.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

conditionZero

QuoteJackal - 1/10/2014  1:54 PM  
QuoteCigary - 1/10/2014  1:46 PM  Can't really get behind any rye...must be because of my heritage.

Hell yeah it does. I've come to prefer them with rye in lieu of bourbon. There are plenty of ryes to choose from, and not that long ago there were hardly any. (Not counting Canadian "Rye", which is a whole other story.) 

--JOE--

Brlesq

QuoteJackal - 1/10/2014  2:54 PM

Indeed it does!  Had 2 of these with Sazerac Rye last night, but I make mine with a splash of Grand Marnier in place of real oranges.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

frankj1

short money- Old Overholt
money no issue- Whistlepig

rye is spicier than bourbon.

biggsy16

never heard of any of them being from the frozen north . We love our Canadian rye whiskey though , forty creek or the old standby Crown royal
Never done being a Dad

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.