Humidor Help Please

Started by 05Venturer, 01/10/2014 01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

So I got my new Glass Top 50 Cigar Humidor early this week and I put a wet sponge and a shot glass of distilled water in in as the directions said to do. They specifically said NOT to wipe down the inside with a damp cloth. I kept the sponge and shotglass in for 3 days and the Hygrometer was reading 65+ yesterday so I took them out and placed a bit of salt and water in this morning about 8 hours ago to test the Hygrometer. Now I check and the humidity is reading about 62. What am I doing wrong?? The directions said the hygrometer was precalibrated so I am surprised it is this far off.
Any suggestions?? :?:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Vroomp

An empty box will lose humidity quickly, especially in winter...... Fill that thing up and put in your hydration device..........
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Jackal

It sounds like the wood just hasn't picked up enough moisture to hold humidity.  Heat up some distilled water in the microwave for around 15-20 seconds (warm-hot, but not boiling), pour that into a small dish and put that into the bottom of your humidor.  It will speed up the seasoning process.

The larger teh humidor, the longer it takes to properly season it.  My treasure dome took a week.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

ROTHNH

Hi Kent, you're not doing anything wrong, per se -- other than doing the salt test incorrectly (see below).  I totally agree, unlike some BOTLs, that wiping down the wood inside the humidor is unnecessary and can damage humidor.

Doing the "salt test," it's best to completely remove the hygrometer from the humidor and place it in a zip-loc bag overnight with the bottle cap of moistened salt.  When you do it this way, the relative humidity in the bag, after 12-24 hours, is a definitive  and correct 75% RH, thus the "end result" (what the hygrometer shows whether analog or digital) may not measure the same, but whatever the hygrometer shows for RH, we know the true RH is 75%.

So that means, say, your hygrometer measures 80% RH out of the bag after the salt test.  That means your hygrometer is 5% "off" -- so if you want the humidor to be kept at, say, 65% RH, your hygrometer, for your humidor to be at 65%, will measure and show 70% when the actuall correct RH is 65%.  Simply keep that in mind and all is kewl.

05Venturer

Thanks Friends for the Replies. I will be filling er up with sticks.
Kent

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

BewareDaPenguin

Exactly what Rich said...test the hygrometer separately...sounds like it's going pretty well tho, and jus like everyone else has said ur humi will lose humidity with no sticks in it!!! I know theres arguments about wiping down the wood during the seasoning process but I've always lightly wiped down my new humidors with distilled water when they r new. Not saturate, but jus lightly dust. In fact I sometimes lightly touch up my smaller humidors in the winter because the weather fluctuates so much in the Midwest. I've never had a humidor warp or crack, etc...I also prefer my RH on the higher side tho 70+, but you'll decide what u like the more you smoke! Congrats on ur new humidor! I'm no expert & all this is personal preference...good luck BOTL!!
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

Vroomp

I have actually removed a good bit of dust from one or two with a moist cloth........ Just saying..........
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Cigary

As long as you "lightly" wipe down the inside of your humi ....the keyword..."lightly" ...then you're fine.  Some tend to have a heavier hand when it comes to doing this and I do it because I like to ensure that there not be any crumbs or dust in there.  I leave the lid up for a few days and then I put in enough cigars to fill it up 3/4.  I don't ever believe any manufacturer when it comes to a pre calibrated....it's not calibrated until I see it for myself.  Keeping your humidor at a steady RH is easy but it's because I use the KL system and can pretty much calibrate any humidor to almost any number ...plus or minus 1%.

Joelala

I was never a fan of the salt test, I like the boveda calibration kit. I also like the video Bryan Glynn has on his cigarobsession site about seasoning your humidor.

After you think its seasoned and the hygro is calibrated, you must the humidor with cigars, otherwise all that air space with just make the humidity drop.

If you are using a digital hyrgometer, great, if not, do yourself a huge favor a get one. Those analogs are rough.
Joe

Cfickter

Really can't add much more here. Lots of great advise. I do strongly support the use so a digital over analog.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

conditionZero

QuoteCfickter - 1/10/2014  5:47 PM  Really can't add much more here. Lots of great advise. I do strongly support the use so a digital over analog.

+1

If it's an analogue, the "factory calibration" means nothing. If it's digital, I'd still have to prove it.

--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

gitfiddl

QuoteVroomp - 1/10/2014  5:53 PM

I have actually removed a good bit of dust from one or two with a moist cloth........ Just saying..........

I lightly wipe down the inside of every new humidor I get with a lint-free white cloth moistened with distilled water.  It's amazing how much dust you can pick up.  Since Spanish cedar dust can be toxic, I'd hate for a nekked stick to pick up some.  I then put a small bowl or shot glass of distilled water in the empty humidor for a couple of days to a week.  Checked with a hygrometer, that usually gets me to around 70%RH or more.  I toss in Boveda packs according to the capacity and gradually add cigars.  Easy-peasy.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

ROTHNH

I'm, no fan of Bryan Glynn.

Sorry, I don't appreciate his sucking up for free cigars to smoke for his reviews.  It casts huge doubt on his ability to be genuinely fair, IMO.  

The "salt test"is a must do, IMO.  How else can you remove actually determine proper RH?

Sure, one can use the Bodeva packs, but I am also not a fan -- expensive, but using them is easy and keeps the RH rather well in line.

05Venturer

I removed the hygrometer and placed it in a small airtight Tupperware container with the salt test. I did this with my other hygro for my tupperdor but thought it would work just doing it in the humidor. thanks everyone. We will see how she looks in the am.
Kent

05Venturer

According to the salt test the Analog Hygrometer that came in the Humidor was off by nearly 10%. It was reading 66% this morning after 10 hours. I adjusted it and placed back in humidor and will be purchasing a better digital when finances allow.
Thanks Again All.
Kent

Cigary

Quote05Venturer - 1/11/2014  9:06 AM  According to the salt test the Analog Hygrometer that came in the Humidor was off by nearly 10%. It was reading 66% this morning after 10 hours. I adjusted it and placed back in humidor and will be purchasing a better digital when finances allow. Thanks Again All.

Yeahhhhh.....if our hygros aren't reading what they should it can really foul things up for us.  A good digital hygro is the way to go....adjustable and they are out there for around $9...Accurite...bought mine at Walmart and I have 20 of them and everyone of them checked out to be correct.

05Venturer

QuoteCigary - 1/11/2014  6:43 AM

Quote05Venturer - 1/11/2014  9:06 AM  According to the salt test the Analog Hygrometer that came in the Humidor was off by nearly 10%. It was reading 66% this morning after 10 hours. I adjusted it and placed back in humidor and will be purchasing a better digital when finances allow. Thanks Again All.

Yeahhhhh.....if our hygros aren't reading what they should it can really foul things up for us.  A good digital hygro is the way to go....adjustable and they are out there for around $9...Accurite...bought mine at Walmart and I have 20 of them and everyone of them checked out to be correct.

I have tried a couple Walmarts and found only cheap home analogs.
Kent

ROTHNH

You know, IMO, the desktop analog or the digital hygrometers cheapos aren't really that bad at all -- at least the couple I have anyway.  They've both worked well for years.

I recalibrated them every year or two (easy enough to do) and they're both rick steady.  neither of mine are adjustable but no worries -- I know they're off in accuracy by a set amount in measurement, so no worries.

As was mentioned here, the Bovena keeps the RH very close to spot on.   Same with the DryMiststats I've used too -- rechargeable, lasts for years, one stick keeps a box of 25 or so cigars at perfect RH.  Kitty litter works great as well, especially for large storage containers such as a Coolidor.

Ted

05Venturer,

These are the ones Cigary is talking about...

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=18770.0

They are currently in stock at my local walmart for $8.94, but when I went it took me a while to find them.  They were just hanging on an end cap corner between hardware/household/paint (whatever that area is called) and auto.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-Digital-Humidity-and-Temperature-Monitor/16888914

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.