Large ceder chest.

Started by tvolball, 01/12/2014 02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvolball

My wife and I were out today at an antique mall an I found a large old ceder chest that would be great for storage. It is made of what I think is red ceder. My wife said it looks more yellow then red but anyway it's not spainish ceder. It is very well built. The ceder boards are solid boards and are tongue and grove. It is not just ceder lined, it is like I said, solid boards. It has a very heavy ceder lid on it with some good heavy hinges and a lock.

With all that being said, it is my understanding that red ceder is not good for storage because it is very aromatic. Question is, if I relined this with spainish ceder would that work for storage? This chest is very old and didn't seem to have a ton of ceder aroma coming from it but I could smell it when I opened it.

Your opinions?
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Ken Kelley

Store blankets in it. Don't use it for cigars. Proceed at your own risk!  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Camshaft83

:word: I think Ken is completely right about this
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

Rebecca Silverwolf

Cedar oil is a pulmonary toxin, not something I would want on my cigars.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Mautrak

The prevailing thought is that even if you relined it with Spanish cedar, the cedar of which the chest is made will permeate everything.  So you'll have mild Spanish cedar next to the cigars, all being overpowered by the red (or whatever) cedar from the chest.  The only way you could likely do it, according to prevailing thought, would be to completely line the interior with a barrier (plastic or the like) that would completely barricade the red cedar smell from the interior. Then line that barrier with Spanish cedar.  Naturally that's a lot of work, and not guaranteed to work.

I've never spoken to anyone who has tried to retrofit a red cedar chest, and I think it could be done with enough work.  But the work required likely would make it no longer worth it unless you really, really, really wanted that as a piece of furniture.

Ken Kelley

QuoteRebecca Silverwolf - 1/12/2014  6:11 AM

Cedar oil is a pulmonary toxin, not something I would want on my cigars.

Yup, the oil is toxic in concentrated form. However, the solid wood is fairly benign. The trouble really begins when sanding or cutting and fine particles are produced. Same goes for the Spanish Cedar...which is not really a cedar at all (it's a variety of mahogany). You really need to use respiratory protection when working with either wood. Sometimes I forget when I'm just doing small jobs and haven't noticed much of a consequence, although I think people with a tendency towards asthma might have a hard time.

Either wood in solid form is fairly inert once all the sanding and cutting is done. The problem with the red cedar, either the Eastern or Western variety, is that the aroma is just not what you would want to taste in a cigar. I know one cigar manufacturer here in KY (Kentucky Gentleman) who uses red cedar in his cigar boxes. I haven't tried the product and I must admit I'm not in a real hurry to do it.

Again, I'm not telling you what to do but I think that using that cedar chest for anything other than blanket storage or a hope chest will lead to some results you won't really like.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

tvolball

Well I guess that's pretty well what I figured I would hear. And like I said, I know it's not good for storage. I really wanted to know if relining it would work. I had thought about the idea of lining the inside with a sealant like plastic or metal then putting in the Spanish cedar but that would still not guarantee that it would work and that's a lot to do for nothing. The reason I was interested in this particular piece is because of the look. It was somewhat ornate and it had legs and stood about 18 inches off the floor.

Thanks for confirming what I thought and guess ill have to let this pass by
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Mautrak

I think it would be neat project to undertake.  As long as you go in with eyes wide open and the factors you are dealing with, I say go for it.  Anything can be done with enough time/money.

LawDaddy

Would keep them well protected from moths

Mojo66

It would need to be completely sealed with an odorless and very resistant sealant (like Safecoat Hard Seal) before it is lined with Spanish Cedar.

I'm pretty confident it would work but even with a very low risk of problems, I'm not sure I'd risk storing my precious cigars in there.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

BewareDaPenguin

Wow very informative little thread...lots of info! Sounds like it would be one heck of a project and still may not give great results. With so many other options n furniture people are building might be better 2 pass on this sounds like
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

ROTHNH

Yep, great for blankets and sweaters.  An absolute no-go for cigars for reasons stated and "relining" is no solution. Sorry.

Mautrak

QuoteLawDaddy - 1/12/2014  4:24 PM

Would keep them well protected from moths

:lmao:  

At that, and also Rebecca's comment about the toxins. She's completely correct, as that is what prevents the problems with moths. However, at the same time the issue of concerns with toxins concerning smoking a cigar seems odd.  It is smoking. A cigar. That creates toxins of its own. Which just seems funny to me. At the same time, she is correct.

Cfickter

This thread is a great example of what makes this the best cigar forum on the planet. People willing to give solid advise, no criticizing, no making fun of.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

bstessl

QuoteCfickter - 1/12/2014  10:02 PM

This thread is a great example of what makes this the best cigar forum on the planet. People willing to give solid advise, no criticizing, no making fun of.

Agreed,  I have learned quite a bit in the last few weeks just from the forums.
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.