Silica Cat Litter

Started by 1029henry, 01/19/2014 07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1029henry

Hey guys, a few years ago I switched to K/L as a humidification medium in both my igloodors. Today I bought another Igloo cooler, and an 8 lb. bag of Exquisicat. To my horror, I found that the Exquisicat had a perfumey scent added to it! I immediately emptied it out of the Igloo cooler and hosed it out, drying it carefully. I went to another store, and found that all the silica type litter was scented. In fact, I could not find any unscented litter anywhere! None of the pet store employees new jack about kitty litter.

A few years ago when I first started using K/L, it was all unscented, now it appears that it all has a perfume added. WTF? Can anyone help me?
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

Ted

PetSmart still sells it in store, but it looks like the packaging has changed.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17357286&lmdn=Brand&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

ljlemer

Micro Cat Litter Pearls appears okay.
Those blue specs in the pic above are a concern.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

conditionZero

I have the same stuff Ted posted, also from Pet Smart.
--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

Joelala

Joe

Brlesq

Gotta read the bag!  It comes in both unscented and lavendar.  Sounds like you got the latter.

Might be OK for storing Acids and White Owls, though.  :biggrin:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

ThinBlueLine

I use what Ted pointed out, the blue crystals are fine as they are not scented
I enjoy romantic walks to my humidors...

CrazyK

I also use the Exquisicat stuff. The blue crystals are dyed as a "freshness" indicator, but are not scented.
CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

Mojo66

QuoteCrazyK - 1/20/2014  10:11 AM  I also use the Exquisicat stuff. The blue crystals are dyed as a "freshness" indicator, but are not scented.

Sorry to burst in like this nut Karl, where do you get the stuff. I've looked all over in Quebec and can't seem to find it in any pet stores.

Is it readily available in Ontario or do you have another source for it ?

Thanks.

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

1029henry

I found the unscented KL at Petsmart. Thanks fellas.
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

subven6

I have a small query.... How many 1gram silica gel packets do you need for a 50 count humidor?to keep the humidity at 65%.its currently at 70%.

DonM

I still have not got over the fact that cats actually bury their shyt in that and you re using it in your humidor?

"The Curmudgeon"

Ken Kelley

QuoteDonM - 2/3/2014  6:37 PM

I still have not got over the fact that cats actually bury their shyt in that and you re using it in your humidor?

Now, Don! Some people actually like Victor Sinclairs and Gurka Black Dragons.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

bigjohn20081983

Could oil dry be used in place of KL? I know it is pretty similar to unscented KL even know a few people who use it in cat boxes over KL because they say it is more absorbent, :blech:
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

scottvodka

Quotebigjohn20081983 - 9/3/2014  5:31 PM

Could oil dry be used in place of KL? I know it is pretty similar to unscented KL even know a few people who use it in cat boxes over KL because they say it is more absorbent, :blech:

I don't think it releases humidity like silica.. not sure though

bigjohn20081983

The reason I asked was the cats pride brand is made by the same company the makes oil dri I am thinking its near the same thing just in a different package.
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

SparklePony

QuoteKen Kelley - 2/4/2014  6:51 AM  
QuoteDonM - 2/3/2014  6:37 PM  I still have not got over the fact that cats actually bury their shyt in that and you re using it in your humidor?
Now, Don! Some people actually like Victor Sinclairs and Gurka Black Dragons.

:lmao:  
Yes, it's a pineapple hat.  No, you can't put your cigar out in it.

Cigary

QuoteDonM - 2/4/2014  6:37 AM  I still have not got over the fact that cats actually bury their shyt in that and you re using it in your humidor?

This is something that plagues the masses and I did as well before I actually changed over to KL.  If we all that sense of fear you'd never eat another burger from fast food places....PINK SLIME...

Sometimes ingredients are used in other types of things that if we stopped and read every ingredient we probably would keel over.

Silica in kitty later is an ingredient that if not put in kittle litter and put in some other kind of thing would be fine as well....it's the imagination of an actual cat pi$$ing on the litter...you can't think of it like this otherwise we'd not have a ton of medications and other products whereby just the thinking about it would prevent us from using it.  How about the coffee bean that is digest in the intestines of a civit cat......relax and let the product do what it does best as far as two things are concerned.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.