Organization Opinions

Started by Phog, 02/02/2014 05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phog

Alright geeks, let me pose a question.  It's time to rotate and organize.  Here's my situation:  3 50 counts, one 250 dome, and a small wineador.  If you were me, how would you organize your 340 ish sticks?  I need opinions because I can't make up my mind.

Cfickter

Pretty fall question. For the most part I organize by brand with a few exceptions. If I had any ;) my ISOMs would go in a small humi by themselves. One humi has cigars that I intend to age longer. I try my best to stay away from that one so they age. I don't keep any infused cigars except for a few JAvas for those warm mornings with coffee and those I keep separate also.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

The Burn Ward

I keep naked cigars together based on wrappers.

Joelala

Joe

BewareDaPenguin

I try to sort by brand as well
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

Camshaft83

Try to sort by brand. But I do have a shelf in my humidor I put random cigars in to let rest and get more age on them. My personal preference. Good luck figuring your preference out :bigthumbs:
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

styxxx

By brand if there is enough room
Styxx,

If you win say nothing,if you lose say less.

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=styxxx

StogieDad

I wish I had the discipline to sort.  But I have so much crap spread between 8-9 places, I am lucky if I can keep stuff in any order.  Just try using my cooler and fridgeador mostly for boxes, and I have 2 nicer humidors I keep my higher end stuff together, just so I know when I have the time to indulge in a good one, I can go to those humis for a treat.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Longhorn

I'd create a separate virtual humidor for each of your physical ones.  Separating by brands, country, etc. can be become difficult as you smoke and then replenish.  You could try keeping darker wrappers separate from lighter ones or keeping specific cigars, like ISOM's, in a specific humidor.   Another option is to keep core releases separate from HTF's and LE's.

DonM

Sorry, I would be re organizing only to have it all mixed up in a month.  No OCD here.  I had my virtual humi straight ......for 2 months.   It is again so far off its a waste of time

"The Curmudgeon"

Hot Stuff x

I have a "ready to smoke" humidor for obvious reasons, and the rest I organize as they come in, so I guess you could  say they are sorted by age.  I rarely smoke anything with less then a year of rest.  When my "ready to smoke" humidor has some room I import some of the older smokes from the other humidors.  The only exception to this, i  have some singles drawers in my vinodor where i keep special occasion, and hard to find cigars.
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

FNA

Big ones on the bottom, small ones on top.

In my last organization I did a couple things different.  I gave "super-premiums" their own boxes.  Instead of showcasing expensive or "cool" cigars in box trays, I use the trays to hold one of each brand that is stored in the box; at a glance I know what is in such a box.  Use your largest capacity storage device for your highest count cigars.

You shouold take this opportunity to record your inventory as you put each cigar away.  Then, every time you smoke a cigar, you just check it off your list.  As a guy who just finished indexing over 5,000 cigars, I can say your 350 or so should be a snap.  I simply made a  two column list on ordinary word-processing software, giving cigar brand , shape/size and number in one column and location in the other column.  I had the word processor sort alphabetically and I printed a paper list which I keep with the boxes

Jackal

QuoteLonghorn - 2/3/2014  9:26 PM

I'd create a separate virtual humidor for each of your physical ones.  Separating by brands, country, etc. can be become difficult as you smoke and then replenish.  You could try keeping darker wrappers separate from lighter ones or keeping specific cigars, like ISOM's, in a specific humidor.   Another option is to keep core releases separate from HTF's and LE's.

:word:

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

LawDaddy

I took a look at your virtual humidor so I can give you specific and detailed advice as to your particular needs.  I'm that kind of BOTL, and I go the extra mile because I care.

First, separate all your DPH My Father and place them aside.  To that pile you need to add your Liga Privada, Illusione, Oliva Serie V, Padron and Tatuaje.

Next, place them all into finger bags with appropriate humidification devices.

Last, place them into an appropriate sized box and ship to the address on my profile.

I can think of no better way to organize them myself. You are very welcome!

Brlesq

QuoteJackal - 2/12/2014  2:12 PM

QuoteLonghorn - 2/3/2014  9:26 PM

:word:

x3.  This is how I do it.  HTF's/LE's in one box (the "special" humidor), core lines in the bigger humidors, and a "dog rocket" humidor that you generously open for the mooch neighbors and mooch friends who have no idea about cigars and you let them pick out what they want to try.  And if you are one of those folks lucky enough to have some ISOMs, they would enjoy a bit lower humidity so it makes sense to keep those in a separate humidor if possible. (When I move to Canada someday I may start one of those.  :biggrin: )
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Phog

A lot of great suggestions here geeks.  I think one of the reasons I get so conflicted on how I should do this is because I don't really have boxes of anything.  Just a handful here and a handful there.  

For now, I've decided to go by brands, with some variations.  One of my small 50 counts is a glasstop and just does not hold humidity as well as everything else.  That's where I've put my one-off singles I don't care about and the brands I don't mind giving away.  The other two 50 counts hold my Alec Bradleys, 601s, Toranos, and the like.  They're kind of my in between sticks that are worth more, smoke better, but yet still aren't my absolute favorites.  My wineador, which holds excellent humidity, is now home to all of my Drew Estate, DPG/My Father, Oliva, and Padrons (as long as they are still in the cello).  This is my "favorites" humidor.  Lastly, my dome holds all of my Tats, AJ Fernandez stuff, and one-offs I do care about.  The trays on top hold my un-celloed sticks.  This humidor as a great aroma so I figured the nakeds belonged in there.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.