Churchwarden Pipe Recommendations?

Started by Rebecca Silverwolf, 02/07/2014 07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rebecca Silverwolf

Hello all,

I've been considering picking up a pipe to try out, and I really wanted a Churchwarden style pipe. I was wondering if anyone might have a recommendation on a decent starter pipe in that style, or a brand name to be looking at, or where I should be shopping?

Any advice you might have would be welcome.

:-)
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

ROTHNH

Vauen,a German company, used to make "Middle Earth" churchwardens which were named after the members of the Fellowship from Lord of the Rings.  However, Vauen lost the license when Warner Bros., who licenses LotR products, decided not to renew Vauen's license because they did not want to promote smoking {sigh}.  These pipes are fairly rare now, but they show up as very expensive estate pipes now and then on eBay.

Vauen then created a line of similar pipes though, and calls these their "Auenland" series.  Here are a few you can check out:

http://www.tobaccopipes.com/vauen-auenland-gilg-churchwarden-tobacco-pipe/

http://www.tobaccopipes.com/vauen-auenland-hugg-churchwarden-tobacco-pipe/

http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/index2.php?mod=mancats&sec=2978&man=425

Stanwell also makes a fine churchwarden they call the "Hans Christian Andersen" (HCA) series.  They number each release in roman -- I, II, III, etc.  What's nice about the HCA's is each HCA comes with two interchangeable stems -- the longer chruchwarden stem as well a "regular length" stem.  The HCA's are also very popular and sell quickly, but are also sometimes sold as estate pipes by online vendors and on eBay.  Here's a some examples:

https://www.tastytobaccoshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SW1703A

http://www.danishpipeshop.com/pages/stanwell-andersen-pipes/#.UvXBWvldUfU

Both Vauen and Stanwell make high quality pipes, a good value to treasure for many years.  If you choose one of these, I doubt you'll be disappointed, but if you do decide to part with one of these, I am sure you won't have any trouble selling it :-)

Good luck, Rebecca and please let us know what you decide ;-)

tvolball

not into pipes but if that's cheap priced..,...wow
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

ROTHNH

Quotetvolball - 2/8/2014  2:50 AM

not into pipes but if that's cheap priced..,...wow

It's like cigars -- you get what your pay for -- and it's best to get the best you can afford.

Cfickter

Interesting thread. I'm not a pipe smoker but is that typical prices for high end pipes?
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

nwb

When I tried out pipes, I had a Hans Christian Anderson with the two stems.  It was a really nice pipe, and I ended up selling it to Les (Hot Stuff x).
Chief of Shaft

ROTHNH

QuoteCfickter - 2/8/2014  9:08 AM

Interesting thread. I'm not a pipe smoker but is that typical prices for high end pipes?

Chuck, pipes vary in price, from under $10 for a Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob pipe to, say, new Dunhill pipes that run $500 to $1,000 and rare, mint estate pipes, such as a Bo Nordh that commands high 5 figures to mid-6 figures from collectors.

In the $50 to $100 range, one can find new/unsmoked low to mid range machine made pipes by reputable makers such as Savinelli, Brebbia, Stanwell, Brigham and others -- as well as some restored estate pipes (I personally avoid eBay) from a host of great vendors such as SmokingPipes.com, smokershaven.com, JamesIslandPiper.com, MKELAW-Pipes.com and others -- one just has to do some research.  It's the norm, rather than the exception, to save 40%+ over MSRP opting for a nicely restore estate pipe.  This means that, for example, a restored estate pipe, can be listed for $50, where the the same pipe, brand new, would flirt with a price at or close to $100.

How much is too much?  Well, that's a personal choice,but I'm a firm believer in getting the best pipe one can afford.  A little gun shy?  Then sure, start with a full-size MM Cob (I'davoid the smaller "pony" or "mini" -- if you like smoking a pipe, then move up price-wise for the next one.

I have friends who *love* their MM cobs and smoke them a lot (I have some MM Cobs myself and enjoy smoking one on occasion.  If one is going with a Corn Cob, though, I strongly suggest to go for a Missouri Meerschaum and no other brand as there are some really crappy Chinese knock-offs out there and they all suck.  Dave Wolff at WalkerBriarWorks.Com sells "Forever Stems" for MM Cobs,he can fit it to a brnad-new cob and you can pick your length from short stem to churchwarden length, as well a choice of vulcanite or acrylic/Lucite stem material available in a variety of colors.

When one gets to the $200+ range, that opens up hand crafted, superbly engineered artisan pipes, as well as fine makers such as Ashton, for example.

Cfickter

Rich, thanks. That was actually very good for me. Like I said I don't know anything about pipes but have been.considering trying them.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Rhall

I am fairly new to the whole pipe thing but i will say that i find it to be a nice change from cigars from time to time.. now saying that i still prefer cigars. The first pipe i got was given to me by a friend as a Christmas gift. It is an restored estate pipe that he found in a local estate shop and restored himself . Its a GBD Virgin 1451. He paid only 10 bucks for it and it had barley been smoked .. So with that said i think if your thinking of trying a pipe a good estate pipe might be the way to go.
Insert sarcastic quote here.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.