Built In and Mold...

Started by Longhorn, 02/13/2014 07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longhorn

So, with a the cold and dry air lately I noticed my Oasis was running through water quickly.  No biggie I thought as the three gauges I have in the built in displayed 66 - 65% rH.  

That all came crashing down this past weekend when I reached for a tray of cigars on the lower shelf and in the back of the humidor.  Apparently the air circulation was not adequate and I had about a dozen cigars that were soaking wet and had developed mold.

Out came all the cigars and a thorough inspection of the entire inventory in the humidor ensued.

Luckily only the one tray was affected.  After a good cleansing with alcohol and airing out I got the mess cleaned up minus the cigars that were affected - they were tossed out.

I contacted Habitat Monitor as they have some unique humidifier set ups.  Should have my new system in place sometime next week.  I've seen lots of feedback about other systems, but decided to take this route.  Spoke with them yesterday and they're configuring a system for my built in and it's multiple shelving units.

I'll share how effective the new system is after it's installed and been running for a while.

jumberlack1

Man, that really stinks! You think everything is all hunky-dory only to have a spore farm in the humi. I hope the new system works for you!
Making bad decisions a profession!

StogieDad

Whew, glad you caught it before there wasmajor damage!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Joelala

Joe

BewareDaPenguin

Oh man sorry 2 hear about the stick infestation! But yeah that could've been a lot more serious! Good thing u keep a close eye on ur sticks! I do 2! I think most geeks prolly do tho lol! Also interested 2 hear how ur new unit works, as I've said b4, when I move into a bigger house I'm gtg 1 room 4 man cave/ den so I'm lkg 2 get some ideas!
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

Machine646

that sucks man...at least you found the problem before it destroyed your stash

Rebecca Silverwolf

Hope you didn't have to chuck too many sticks!
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

LawDaddy

That sucks.  Sorry to hear it.

mpurtle01

That's too bad to hear Brad.  Hope it wasn't some of your most coveted that we're affected!

DonM

Sorry to hear about the cigars, I hope the new system works well for you

"The Curmudgeon"

ThinBlueLine

I know how ya feel when it comes to your collection being compromised. Sucks!  Atleast you have a game plan and post some pics. You have pics of the before tray with mold?  Be good for some new geeks to see that
I enjoy romantic walks to my humidors...

Cfickter

OUCH!  Losing even one stick is too many
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

lubrix

That bites,glad you caught it though.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Vroomp

Yikes! :-0

<<<<<<<<<rushing up to check the Oasis and bottom tray.......

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

styxxx

Styxx,

If you win say nothing,if you lose say less.

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=styxxx

ntanner

Interested in what Habitat Monitor does to fix thing's up.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

johncw

that really does suck. Glad you caught it because it got any worse and hope you didn't lose any HTF.

nwb

Sorry to hear about the lost smokes, Brad.  Good luck with the new system!
Chief of Shaft

Smurf

orbis non sufficit

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.