Coolerdor Storage Question

Started by 05Venturer, 02/19/2014 01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

Any of my fellow geeks that use a coolerdor I am curious if you keep/put cigars in boxes then in the coolerdor or out of the box? Just curious because due to a sudden influx of sticks( cigarbid and Monster) I am going to need to shop for another cooler.
Also anyone line there coolerdor with spanish cedar??
One more question what is the consensus for RH in coolerdor?

Want some advice from the pros please.   :confused:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

LawDaddy

RH should be whatever you prefer in your humidor I would think.  I use full boxes and cedar trays for singles.  The more wood the better for helping to maintain a steady humidity.

Mojo66

QuoteLawDaddy - 2/19/2014  4:05 PM  RH should be whatever you prefer in your humidor I would think.  I use full boxes and cedar trays for singles.  The more wood the better for helping to maintain a steady humidity.

X2.  

I lined the latest one I put together with Spanish cedar. Boxes go in there but I also have SC trays for the singles.

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Ntxsage

I've found coolerdors don't need cedar at all to maintain rock solid rh.....beads or KL. If it's got a good seal, the coolerdors are more stable than just about any other storage. Just my experience though....
Did you know Stuart Scott almost made the Scripps National Spelling Bee as a child? Then the judges asked for skiing, but he only had one I. - acr

Ted

Singles in cedar trays, and boxes as is...

That's an old pic. I now have one filled with trays dedicated to singles and one filled with boxes. Both hold RH better than any other desktop humidor I've ever had.

Jackal

If you put boxes with lids in the coolidor, you do risk trapping moist air in those boxes, making mold growth more likely.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

conditionZero

Damn Ted, I guess I need to get more organized! Looks good.

Jason, you bring up an interesting point. Don't people, and shops, store sealed boxes in humidors all the time? I've wondered about this often.
--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

Joelala

I had a smaller cooler and I used gallon size bags
Joe

Ted

QuoteJackal - 2/19/2014  4:11 PM  If you put boxes with lids in the coolidor, you do risk trapping moist air in those boxes, making mold growth more likely.

I open/unseal my boxes before storing. I also do a once a month "browse" through all my boxes (only about 30). Only takes a few minutes, and since I only have to freshen the beads / recharge the fan batteries once a month it's really no chore. Kind of fun actually!

And thanks Joe!

ROTHNH

Kent, buy a big-ass cooler --  the biggest you can find -- Igloo, Coleman, WTF ever --like anything else, the best quality is the WTG.

Yes, get some Spanish cedar (you can break up Spanish cedar boxes or find some planks).  

I recommend using kitty litter for humidification (you can read the article here at CG about how that works).

Good luck buddy! :-)

The Burn Ward

I use AF Canones boxes (any seasoned cedar cigar box will do) with the tops removed and stacked with a slight off-set as to let the air circulate.

Cigary

Like most on here I use cedar trays and boxes but don't leave the box sealed.  A lot depends on variables like how full you want to fill your cooler...I'd recommend that you fill it 3/4 and open it up at least every few weeks.  As far as what RH media you want to use I've used KL for years with almost perfect results...I dial it in and then it's done.  For the average cooler I use about 2 pounds...one on top and one on the bottom.  As the other brother mentioned...just buy the biggest you can find at a price that is good...I have a 150 quart size cooler and put 4 pounds of KL in there and all the cigars agree inside of it....great place to hibernate.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.