Weight of humid vs. dry air, rotate cigars?

Started by hebron, 02/25/2014 03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hebron

According to this paper, humid air is lighter then dry air. So the top of the humidor should have a higher humidity.

Do you pay any attention to this when placing the cigars? Or do you just rotate regularly?
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Newbhunter

Well since my latest discovery of 2 sticks with mold on the foot, it's gonna be rotate on the regulario! (I'm still glad it was an isolated incident, but wont be taking any chances in the future).

ThinBlueLine

According to my hygrometers in my tower the bottom is where the humidity is higher. So who knows
I enjoy romantic walks to my humidors...

DonM

Interesting article!  

I use Heartfelt beads which emit and absorb.  I use them in the top and bottom of the humidor and it works well.  It never hurts to rotate occasionally and I do about every month

"The Curmudgeon"

hebron

QuoteThinBlueLine - 2/25/2014  1:26 PM

According to my hygrometers in my tower the bottom is where the humidity is higher. So who knows

Could this have something to do with the placement of the humidifier?
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

ThinBlueLine

No because I have 3 on which are located on different levels plus I have fans.
I enjoy romantic walks to my humidors...

tvolball

I would have to say that wet air is heavier.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Caveman Steve

I have fans that circulate air in my humidor, but the top is still slightly drier than the bottom.........  However, the bottom is where the humidifier is located.  With the fans, I never felt the need to rotate stock, and have had no issues that I can see.

:?:  

"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

freakydeakydutchman

i rotate my cigars on a monthly basis. I once had a touch of mold and now i check as often as i can. Its also help keep the cigars at a constant moisture level as the ones in the middle of the "stack" dont get as much moisture as others due to air flow. Thats what i belive anyway.
"when a guy does something stupid once, well that's because he's a guy. But if he does the same stupid thing twice, that's usually to impress some girl."
Dr. Suess

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=freakydeakydutchman

nwb

I have a 6 foot cabinet humidor with three hygrometers - one on the bottom shelf, one in the middle, and one on the top shelf.  The humidity on the top shelf is consistently 1% higher than the middle.
Chief of Shaft

Jackal

A humidor, for the most part, is a small enclosure, with lots of dead spaces where moisture can collect, along with walls of Spanish cedar that are moisture sinks..  Being an enclosed system, the various molecules are going to attempt to set up an equilibrium in which all molecules are evenly distributed.  Also, the hygroscopic nature of the cigars is going to have the effect of pulling moisture from the surrounding air, causing some interesting diffusion and Browninan effects.  There is also a hydrogen bonding issue in play (water likes to stick to itself), causing vapor to concentrate.

Thus, the model of air circulation in an ideal environment may not apply very well to individual humidors, as there are many convoluting effects taking place in this small space.

My advice is to rotate your cigars fairly frequently, as the big issue that you will face is that moisture will get trapped in low air flow zones, and those high humidity pockets are where mold will tend to form.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

conditionZero

If you just take them all out once a month, dump them on your bed, and roll around naked in them, you can avoid many of these issues.
--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

Jackal

QuoteconditionZero - 2/25/2014  9:17 AM

If you just take them all out once a month, dump them on your bed, and roll around naked in them, you can avoid many of these issues.
:word:

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Cfickter

Quotetvolball - 2/25/2014  9:39 AM  I would have to say that wet air is heavier.

X2

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

nwb

QuoteconditionZero - 2/25/2014  12:17 PM

Good idea.
Chief of Shaft

conditionZero

QuoteCfickter - 2/25/2014  11:21 AM  

Quotetvolball - 2/25/2014  9:39 AM  I would have to say that wet air is heavier.

X2

That's always been my belief as well, but after doing a quick google inquiry, that would appear to not be the case. 

--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

05Venturer

Quotetvolball - 2/25/2014  8:39 AM

I would have to say that wet air is heavier.

This would make sense as when it is foggy outside and it warms up to dry the air the fog lifts  :?:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

nwb

QuoteconditionZero - 2/25/2014  12:54 PM
QuoteCfickter - 2/25/2014  11:21 AM  

X2

That's always been my belief as well, but after doing a quick google inquiry, that would appear to not be the case. 

From everything I've read, humid air is lighter than dry air, all else being equal.  Counter-intuitive.
Chief of Shaft

ntanner

I always thought moist air would be heavier.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.