Minimum amount of cigars in the humidor

Started by hebron, 02/25/2014 04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hebron

I've read that the more cigars there is in the humidor, the easier it is to keep the air humid and stable.

Do you practice a minimum amount of cigars in the humidor to avoid it being mostly air, and thus the air less stable?
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Cfickter

I keep 5 humidors (yeah I know why not one large or a coolidor but that is for another thread) and I do keep them pretty well balanced but that is based more on how I sort my inventory and how much I keep.  As for the capacity vs RH issue, I would argue that the condition of the cigars would play even a larger role than the number.  If the cigars are in good shape when you put them in then keeping the RH should be easy for 10 or 100.  I have had issues with larger buys and resorting inventory where there have been temporary RH drops when putting in a number of newly bought cigars.  Just keep an eye on it.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

conditionZero

Quotehebron - 2/25/2014  6:40 AM  I've read that the more cigars there is in the humidor, the easier it is to keep the air humid and stable.  Do you practice a minimum amount of cigars in the humidor to avoid it being mostly air, and thus the air less stable?

Minimum amount?? In the short time since I joined this group I've barely been able to cram them all in. 

--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

Vroomp

I do find that keeping the table top units up to 50% capacity or better maintains RH much better......Although... I do have a flavored or infused box that only contains around 20 cigars and it keeps great RH..... :confused:
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

DonM

I have to say this is very true!  My Indulgence humi seems to stay more stable and dont have to give the beads a spray as often when it is full.............at least that is what I tell the wife

"The Curmudgeon"

Ken Kelley

Heh! I'm having trouble with avoiding the MAXIMUM amount a humidor can hold! I have a recent box purchase I've got to find a place for and that will be a challenge. I'll probably wander down to the Mt. Sterling Wally World today and pick up another Rubbermaid instant tupperdore so I can create some breathing room.  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

hebron

QuoteMinimum amount?? In the short time since I joined this group I've barely been able to cram them all in.
QuoteHeh! I'm having trouble with avoiding the MAXIMUM amount a humidor can hold! I have a recent box purchase I've got to find a place for and that will be a challenge. I'll probably wander down to the Mt. Sterling Wally World today and pick up another Rubbermaid instant tupperdore so I can create some breathing room.

:biggrin: Hehehe :respekt:

I have, for some time now, been dipping into my supply without restocking. But that is about to change, as I received one box of Santa Clara 1830 Quino yesterday and are about to receive a box of Jose L. Piedra Petit Cazadores and two singles; Padrón 1926 Serie No. 2 Maduro & Padrón 1926 Serie No. 9 Maduro.

Man, tobacco is really[/u] expensive here in Norway...
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

nwb

My cabinet had fairly wide swings when I was first filling it.  Once I got it at 50%+ capacity, the RH seemed to be much more stable.  YMMV
Chief of Shaft

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.