New Tupperdor

Started by 05Venturer, 02/25/2014 08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

Got a couple boxes of sticks in the mail yesterday and was out of room. Ran to Wally World this morning and picked up a airtight tote and piece of wet foam.
Less than $15
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

lubrix

Have fun filling her up!.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Newbhunter

Tupperdors are awesome. I can only criticize their lack of "classy looks"! have fun getting her full 'o' sticks!

conditionZero

Should have gotten two.  :biggrin:
--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

Cfickter

Plenty of room, till tomorrow
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

nwb

That should last until the next CBID order comes in....
Chief of Shaft

05Venturer

Quotelubrix - 2/25/2014  10:52 AM

Have fun filling her up!.

Won't take long
Kent

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Smurf

orbis non sufficit

Cigary

Tupperware is a great item and there are those just like humidors that tend to work better than others.  I've had that kind where there is the clasp on top...those aren't "airtight" as much as they are "almost airtight".....RubberMaid is "airtight" and there is the 2.5 gallon size that sells for $11 and I know WM will take back anything you've bought and exchange if you wanted to...just sayin as I've tried the top clasp and it will leech air..slowly.  The clasp isn't like a seal... a seal is all the way around and when you line the bottom with cedar you are pretty much guaranteed no issues.  The foam is another issue....it will cause mold growth after about a year and you will see a slimy substance start on that foam before a year is out.  Boveda, Beads or KL is a great way to ensure that you not go through what a lot of us have in the past....just want to let you know before you continued.  JMHO

05Venturer

QuoteCigary - 2/25/2014  6:54 PM

Tupperware is a great item and there are those just like humidors that tend to work better than others.  I've had that kind where there is the clasp on top...those aren't "airtight" as much as they are "almost airtight".....RubberMaid is "airtight" and there is the 2.5 gallon size that sells for $11 and I know WM will take back anything you've bought and exchange if you wanted to...just sayin as I've tried the top clasp and it will leech air..slowly.  The clasp isn't like a seal... a seal is all the way around and when you line the bottom with cedar you are pretty much guaranteed no issues.  The foam is another issue....it will cause mold growth after about a year and you will see a slimy substance start on that foam before a year is out.  Boveda, Beads or KL is a great way to ensure that you not go through what a lot of us have in the past....just want to let you know before you continued.  JMHO

Thanks for the advice buddy but the reason I purchased this Ziplock brand tote is because it does have a seal all the way around the top where the cover meets the tote and it fits better than any I have seen. Also the foam is just temporary until I can get me a few more Bovedas.
Kent

hebron

Quote05Venturer - 2/26/2014  2:16 AM

Thanks for the advice buddy but the reason I purchased this Ziplock brand tote is because it does have a seal all the way around the top where the cover meets the tote and it fits better than any I have seen. Also the foam is just temporary until I can get me a few more Bovedas.

What size is the Tupperware box? And how many Bovedas are you going to use? I'm thinking of getting a Tupperdor myself, but I bit unsure of how to calculate the humidor capacity to find the right amount of Boveda packs.

- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

conditionZero

One of the good things about Boveda's is that you can't use too many. If you use more than what's needed then they will simply last longer.
--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

05Venturer

Quotehebron - 2/27/2014  2:23 AM

Quote05Venturer - 2/26/2014  2:16 AM

What size is the Tupperware box? And how many Bovedas are you going to use? I'm thinking of getting a Tupperdor myself, but I bit unsure of how to calculate the humidor capacity to find the right amount of Boveda packs.

I am not certain the size offhand but I just plan on tossing in 3-4 Packs and keep an eye on it
Kent

cibolodave

looks like you are on your way to filling it up

Longhorn

That's a Ziplockadore! :biggrin:

hebron

Did you do anything special to get the plastic smell out? I've washed mine once in the dishwasher and with detergent and hot water, and wiped it down with distilled water... Still smells plastic... Now I've placed a shot-glass of baking soda inside and closed the lid. Hoping that will help...
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

bstessl

I was inspired by this thread and went and bought the same container... As far as the smell, I am following the directions from the coolerdor article... I'll let everyone know how the progress goes!
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

05Venturer

Truthfully mine had virtually no plastic smell to it at all but I did sprinkle baking soda in it and leave it overnight then cleaned it up with distilled and good to go.
I did get some strange looks at Wally World sniffing plastic totes for a little while but then I figured I must have just blended in to the People of WalMart. Seriously though this one had virtually no smell while some others were really stinky.
Kent

bstessl

Quotehebron - 3/8/2014  10:47 AM

Did you do anything special to get the plastic smell out? I've washed mine once in the dishwasher and with detergent and hot water, and wiped it down with distilled water... Still smells plastic... Now I've placed a shot-glass of baking soda inside and closed the lid. Hoping that will help...
While the container I bought had quite an aroma to it, After filling it with water and a cup of bleach and letting it sit overnight, it is odor free now.  Unfortunately I forgot to pick up a double A battery for the digital Hygrometer... So I will see how it holds up later.

hebron

Quotebstessl - 3/9/2014  10:06 AM

While the container I bought had quite an aroma to it, After filling it with water and a cup of bleach and letting it sit overnight, it is odor free now.  Unfortunately I forgot to pick up a double A battery for the digital Hygrometer... So I will see how it holds up later.
Hm, that I haven't tried... I've let mine sit with baking soda overnight, then washed it with hot water and baking soda and now giving it another go in the dish washer. If it still smells of plastic after that I'm trying your method...
- Thomas

05Venturer

Quotehebron - 3/9/2014  3:35 AM

Quotebstessl - 3/9/2014  10:06 AM

Hm, that I haven't tried... I've let mine sit with baking soda overnight, then washed it with hot water and baking soda and now giving it another go in the dish washer. If it still smells of plastic after that I'm trying your method...

I hear that a little vinegar and water will get rid of the smell also  :confused:
Kent

Blgove

I had six of the Rubber Maid containers Cigary talked about. I never detected any plastic smell - filled em up as soon as I got back from buying them at Wallys. I used 3 of the big Boveda packs per container, and kept my sticks at 69%.  Iv'e  since gotten a Tower humi, but I still have the Rubber Maids :biggrin:

"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee hapiness, only the pursuit of it.  You have to catch up with it yourself"  

Benjamin Franklin

hebron

QuoteBlgove - 3/9/2014  11:29 PM

I had six of the Rubber Maid containers Cigary talked about. I never detected any plastic smell - filled em up as soon as I got back from buying them at Wallys. I used 3 of the big Boveda packs per container, and kept my sticks at 69%.  Iv'e  since gotten a Tower humi, but I still have the Rubber Maids :biggrin:

Hm, mine reeks of plastic... Seems to vary a lot between the vendors. I'm putting the lid on mine now and letting it sit for a few days to see of the latest treatment had any effect.
- Thomas

Camshaft83

I'm having a problem with mine I got on Amazon as well. Washed them with dish soap several times, let them sit for a day with baking powder several times also.  Thinking about giving up on these and going to look for the ziplocks.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

bstessl

Try following the directions in the coolerdor article, thats what I did.  Mine smelled strong of plastic, but it is odor free now.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.