What is happening with the humidity?

Started by hebron, 02/25/2014 12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hebron

I got myself a digital hydrometer a couple of days ago, because I suspected that the one in the door was off. Yesterday I placed the digital hydrometer in the same drawer as the analog, and put in three 65% Boveda packs after having just one 69% for a long time.

Well I do not really understand the readings I am getting, the analog says 74%, the digital 57%. None of them are even close to the 65% supposedly provided by the Boveda packs... Could it be that I have had to little humidification for a long tine and my humidor has dried out? And is now soaking up the Boveda packs?

It says on the website where I bought the digital hydrometer that it is highly accurate, can I trust that? I have not done any calibration or verification of such on any of them...
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

conditionZero

Quotehebron - 2/25/2014  2:20 PM ...It says on the website where I bought the digital hydrometer that it is highly accurate, can I trust that?...

No.

--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

Cfickter

I put little faith in an analog. I would rely on the digital.  Have your cigars been having cracked wrapper?  Notice extra flaking when you cut a cap?
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

BewareDaPenguin

Yeah ur gonna need to calibrate them...there was a pretty decent thread on this not too long ago. It's a fairly simple process.
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

conditionZero

QuoteCfickter - 2/25/2014  2:25 PM  I put little faith in an analog. I would rely on the digital.  Have your cigars been having cracked wrapper?  Notice extra flaking when you cut a cap?

I'll rely on the digital for consistency, but I would still want to see if it's accurate. Especially before messing with the humidor/humidification. When something weird seems to be going on, it's always best to check the simplest things first. 

--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

dirtyleafcigars

Yes calibration is absolutely KEY my friend! We did an article on the process a while back: http://www.dirtyleafcigars.com/cigars-101/

bmac7754

I would double check that the digital is calibrated.  I wouldn't be suprised if its cold to see that your levels are really that low.  During the winter months, where humidity is almost zero in my house, I use 3 72% boveda packs as well as a Xikar gel jar just to keep them around 67-68%.  I would suggest taking some of the propylene glycol juice and lightly wipe the walls and especially the top edges of the humidor and lid to make sure they shut tightly.  Don't soak it, this always helps me.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

nwb

Do the salt test and see how far off the hygrometers are.
Chief of Shaft

nirab

Quotenwb - 2/25/2014  8:50 PM

Do the salt test and see how far off the hygrometers are.

x2 :word:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Rebecca Silverwolf

I'll jump on board and also advise that you calibrate your hygrometers before messing with your humidification. Once calibrated, the digital should give fairly consistent readings, and you can adjust your humidification from there.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Joelala

QuoteRebecca Silverwolf - 2/25/2014  9:45 PM

I'll jump on board and also advise that you calibrate your hygrometers before messing with your humidification. Once calibrated, the digital should give fairly consistent readings, and you can adjust your humidification from there.

X100
Joe

hebron

Thanks for all the advice. During the night the humidity has risen to 58%. I've taken the digital hydrometer out and put it together with two others, just as a sanity check. Will do the salt test:)

If needed, is it OK to use PG solution to give it a quick wipe?
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Rebecca Silverwolf

Quotehebron - 2/25/2014  10:19 PM

Thanks for all the advice. During the night the humidity has risen to 58%. I've taken the digital hydrometer out and put it together with two others, just as a sanity check. Will do the salt test:)

Personally, I avoid applying liquid directly to my humidors. If you feel you need to re-season the wood, my method would be to empty the humidor (a tupperware or zip top bag makes acceptable temporary storage) and put a shallow dish of distilled water in the humidor, and allow it to season for a few days. Just my preference, a lot of the guys here do wipe down their humis, and seem to have decent luck with it.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

hebron

Quotehebron - 2/26/2014  7:19 AM

I've taken the digital hydrometer out and put it together with two others, just as a sanity check.
The three hydrometers have been placed together for 6-7 hours; and is now showing 44%, 43% and 44%... Let you know when I have done the salt test, just need to get my hands on some distilled water.

In the meantime I thing I'll just add another Boveda pack and see if the humidity slowly increases.

QuoteHave your cigars been having cracked wrapper? Notice extra flaking when you cut a cap?
No wrappers is cracked, but some of them so sound a little more crispy then I'm used to. Been a while since I've smoked one now...

QuoteI wouldn't be suprised if its cold to see that your levels are really that low. During the winter months, where humidity is almost zero in my house, I use 3 72% boveda packs as well as a Xikar gel jar just to keep them around 67-68%.
The humidor is placed in my home office, where we also dry our clothes. So room humidity is normally between 35%-45%.
- Thomas

DonM

Quotehebron - 2/26/2014  1:19 AM

I wouldn't until you get the hygrometer calibrated.  Did you season the humidor before you put the cigars in it? If not, You should.  As Rebecca mentioned, you can wipe it down with distilled water, but if you do, give it a very light wipe down with a clean lint free cloth, do not soak it.  Then, put some Boveda's in it and let it stabilize.  Looking at least a few days, just put your cigars in a zip lock while you are seasoning.

"The Curmudgeon"

hebron

QuoteDonM - 2/26/2014  2:12 PM

Quotehebron - 2/26/2014  1:19 AM

I wouldn't until you get the hygrometer calibrated.  Did you season the humidor before you put the cigars in it? If not, You should.  As Rebecca mentioned, you can wipe it down with distilled water, but if you do, give it a very light wipe down with a clean lint free cloth, do not soak it.  Then, put some Boveda's in it and let it stabilize.  Looking at least a few days, just put your cigars in a zip lock while you are seasoning.

The humidor was seasoned by the shop prior to shipping. It was part of a get-started pack. I've been in contact with the shop numerous times, and they are dedicated people with a love for cigars. So I have no reason to doubt that the seasoning. I've had the humidors for a couple of years, but I've just had one Boveda pack in it, which I am starting to realize is not enough.

Yeay, I'll get the hydrometer checked first and take it from there :) Thanks.
- Thomas

conditionZero

If you've only had one pack in it for a couple of years, it probably needs to be seasoned again. That's not nearly enough.
--JOE--

hebron

QuoteconditionZero - 2/26/2014  2:32 PM

If you've only had one pack in it for a couple of years, it probably needs to be seasoned again. That's not nearly enough.

That was my growing suspicion... I'll leave a shallow dish with distilled water in it for a few days as Rebecca suggested.
The built-in hydrometer is way off, so I've though everything for alright for a long time...

Thanks all for your inputs :-)
- Thomas

conditionZero

What's the rated capacity of your humidor?

--JOE--

hebron

QuoteconditionZero - 2/26/2014  2:40 PM

100 cigars, so three packs according to this site.
- Thomas

conditionZero

Quotehebron - 2/26/2014  7:42 AM  

Yeah, that's what I was looking at too. Although, Boveda's website shows this... 

--JOE--

hebron

QuoteconditionZero - 2/26/2014  2:48 PM

Yeah, that's what I was looking at too. Although, Boveda's website shows this... 

I'll put four in there when the seasoning is done then :-) Should I leave a digital hydrometer inside while seasoning and check the humidity from time to time? Or just leave it closed for a couple of days without opening it?
- Thomas

DonM

Quotehebron - 2/26/2014  8:50 AM

QuoteconditionZero - 2/26/2014  2:48 PM

I'll put four in there when the seasoning is done then :-) Should I leave a digital hydrometer inside while seasoning and check the humidity from time to time? Or just leave it closed for a couple of days without opening it?

I would use 4 packs, put them in with the distilled water and the hygrometer for a few days.  Then remove the distilled water.  Once the humi stabilizes, add your cigars a little at a time.  Adding them all at once will throw your RH off again.  You are on the right track

"The Curmudgeon"

conditionZero

There's so much info around here on how to properly season that I won't attempt to restate what those who know more than me have already said. But, if it was me, I would leave the hygrometer in there. When I seasoned my 100ct desktop, I went too far and had to let it sit with no source of humidity for several days to calm back down before adding cigars.
--JOE--

DonM

Joe is right on, patience is the key.  Let the humi stabilize BEFORE you start adding the cigars

"The Curmudgeon"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.