Rotation of the cigars

Started by hebron, 02/27/2014 11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hebron

Some of you here suggested, on an earlier thread, that the cigars be rotated every month or so. I've come across some information on the internet that makes me wonder. (I know, the interweb is full of information that makes one wonder... :p)

QuoteThe adorini deluxe humidor series has been designed with special attention to maximum air circulation within the humidor to ensure even storage conditions. Innovative features such as the unique ventilation ribs at the bottom and the side walls of the humidor, as well as the special tray design with extra ventilation openings permit proper air circulation within the humidor and even cigar conditions without the need of rotating cigars.
http://www.humidor-guide.com/storing-cigars/rotating-cigars

The "unique ventilation ribs" can be seen here.

QuoteFirst, rotation. I had seen several questions about rotating cigars in the humidor. At first I thought this referred to moving the sticks around occasionally. What I have found is that it is best to leave them alone. Rotation refers to rotating your stock in the sense that you want to put the new cigars in the back or on the bottom of your humidor and then smoke the older sticks. (Newer and older refers to the amount of time they have been in your posession, not the age of the cigar. Remember, your goal is to properly humidify and stabilize the moisture in the cigar once you receive it.) This gives your newer cigars a chance to stabilize over time to your desired humidity level. I have found that doing this has cut my uneven burn and "plugged" cigars down to almost nothing.
http://www.cigarsmokers.com/threads/6293-Rotating-Cigars-and-Humidity

So I am a bit puzzled... When you say rotate; you do actually mean move the sticks around? Since my humidor has drawers, can I just shuffle the drawers?

My humidor takes 100-125 sticks and has three drawers. And looks like this.
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

nirab

I take out all of my cigars at least twice a year. Not only to rotate em around, but also to find things that I forgot about, or that did not make it into my virtual humi. I'm one of those geeks who really tries to keep my inventory as spot on as possible. Must be from years of owning my own business, but it drives me nuts if I don't add new additions to my inventory!  :crazy:  :crazy:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Cigary

Rotating cigars is probably more for those with OCD than what it really does for our cigars.  If one crams so many cigars into a humidor where there is hardly any room for them to "air out" then yes...rotate them.  A general rule of thumb is to fill any humidor at least 3/4 full and that way you'll have more than enough room for air inside to circulate...when you open the lid fresh air is introduced into the humidor and if you're like me you can be in and out of your humis several times a day.

Joelala

I have not rotated yet, but I also do take them out every 6 months or so when I am bored to what I may have missed
Joe

bmac7754

I'm with nirab on this one, I too keep up with the virtual humidor the best I can.  I use the site, as well as the app on the phone to make sure I add and subtract as needed.  I try to do some type of rotation, but when I find myself playing around the cigars I usually stop and go smoke one.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

17leaves

It's a good idea to rotate them so you can inspect for mold as well. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Jackal

Sorry to say that the guys at humidor-guide, are passing along info that is not quite on the make (especially in their section on mold).

If you have a lot of cigars in a drawer, there will probably not be a lot of room for air to get between them (just looking at them can tell you this).  Those slits are good (most humidors have them), but still wont let air easily circulate between cigars stacked 3-4 deep in a drawer, or positioned such that they are completely covering the drawer's surface.

If this is the case, occasionally moving them around lets them air out, doing two things.  One, it allows the cigars to become more evenly humidified (less trapped air of unknown humidity).  Two, it allows more oxygen to get in there, making that zone less attractive to fungal growth.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Michaelbevans61

Quotenirab - 2/28/2014  7:45 AM  I take out all of my cigars at least twice a year. Not only to rotate em around, but also to find things that I forgot about, or that did not make it into my virtual humi. I'm one of those geeks who really tries to keep my inventory as spot on as possible. Must be from years of owning my own business, but it drives me nuts if I don't add new additions to my inventory!  :crazy:  :crazy:

Yup that's what I do too. Works pretty well. Find hidden treasures

Rock and roll is no genre, rock and roll? .......my friends rock and roll is a way of life!
Brent Smith, Shinedown

hebron

QuoteJackal - 2/28/2014  5:08 PM

Sorry to say that the guys at humidor-guide, are passing along info that is not quite on the make (especially in their section on mold).
They seem to be very Adoroni humidor friendly... Also like it's operated by them...

Thanks you all for your tips, insight and expertise. I have learnt more from you guys the last five days than I have the previous years.

Big ups to you all!
 :bigthumbs:
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Jackal

Quotehebron - 2/28/2014  8:37 AM

QuoteJackal - 2/28/2014  5:08 PM

They seem to be very Adoroni humidor friendly... Also like it's operated by them...

Thanks you all for your tips, insight and expertise. I have learnt more from you guys the last five days than I have the previous years.

Big ups to you all!
 :bigthumbs:

The problem that I have seen, is that up until the last decade, information about cigars and their storage was disseminated to the masses by either humidor makers or tobacco shop owners.  These people may know a lot about their particular field (making humidors or selling cigars), but the info that they had was often acquired by some experience or lore.

Only in the last few years has actual science really been applied.  So there are still a lot of "old wives tales" and other misinformation still out there.  With the internet, these erroneous beliefs and practices get spread and now have the implied authority of "it it is written, it must be true".

So, you definitely, have to take what you hear out there with a grain of salt and apply some critical thinking as to whether what is being said actually makes sense.  Case in point, look at the information concerning mold and plume on the internet; you will find a lot of conflicting info.  Also, many tobacco shop owners will tell you that a cigar that is covered in white fuzzy stuff is just properly aged, rather than tell you that that cigar is sick with fungus and should be thrown out.  

You will also find similar conflicting info on tobacco beetles, humidity, and a slew of other subjects.  My advice is to not believe eveything that is out there and look at multiple sources.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Cfickter

I would agree with a number of the points here.  Everyone has different approaches, Jackal's point about what becomes fact and fiction is spot on.
My get rotated only as I resort the humidors to better organize and hence find what I am looking for.  In the taller cabinet humidors if the circulation is poor I could understand rotating them from top to bottom.  Beside it is always nice to go visit our friends!  :biggrin:
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

hebron

That is definitely a valid point Jason, I've found so much conflicting info on my google quests. I feel more confident in the information after running it by you guys, and getting some empirical experience :-)
- Thomas

DonM

The rotation for me usually occurs when I know I have a particular cigar and can't find it :angry:

Keeping inventory,  What is that?  I gave up.  If I lift the lid and there are plenty of cigars to pick from, I am a happy man

"The Curmudgeon"

hebron

QuoteDonM - 3/1/2014  7:02 PM

The rotation for me usually occurs when I know I have a particular cigar and can't find it :angry:

Keeping inventory,  What is that?  I gave up.  If I lift the lid and there are plenty of cigars to pick from, I am a happy man

Appears to be an OCD thing, and I have it...  :crazy:
- Thomas

ntanner

I just like to take them out and look at them sometimes and that usually happens every couple of month's so they get what they need and I get my fix too so it all work's out.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.