Cigar storage in zip-lock bags

Started by hebron, 03/10/2014 02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hebron

I've read so many different opinions on storing cigars in zip-lock bags. My local shop says that this should be avoided also for temporary storage, and some internet sites says that it can be used for long term storage as long as there is a humidifying device in the bag.

I currently have some cigars in zip-lock bags while I am trying to get the plastic smell out of my tupperdor, as that have been somewhat of a problem (:censored:) the cigars have been in there for the better part of a week. I have a 65% Boveda pack in the bag.

Am I compromising my cigars?
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Cfickter

You should be OK short term as you work out your tupperdor issue.  I will use them for short term storage, say less than a week, but like you include a bovida pack.  Since you said it is a smell issue I assume you wont have your hygrometer in there also.  Just place that in the bag.  If you have multiple bags move it from bag to bag.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

DonM

Quotehebron - 3/10/2014  5:05 AM

I've read so many different opinions on storing cigars in zip-lock bags. My local shop says that this should be avoided also for temporary storage, and some internet sites says that it can be used for long term storage as long as there is a humidifying device in the bag.

I currently have some cigars in zip-lock bags while I am trying to get the plastic smell out of my tupperdor, as that have been somewhat of a problem (:censored:) the cigars have been in there for the better part of a week. I have a 65% Boveda pack in the bag.

Am I compromising my cigars?

All internet retailers send 5ers and such in zip locks and sometimes with a Boveda.  Hey, a zip lock is better than nothing at all and letting them dry out.  Went on vacation a few years back, took a bunch of cigars in a zip lock with a Boveda.

"The Curmudgeon"

Ken Kelley

I've left cigars in a ziplock for two weeks at a time with no additional humidification and they've suffered no ill effects as far as I could tell. Probably not suitable for long-term storage unless there is absolutely no other alternative and then the Boveda packs may come in pretty handy. Haven't used the Boveda packs myself but I hear others on the site sing their praises. If you've got a choice at all a good tupperdore is far preferable. Rubbermaid is my choice but use whatever you can find that has a good seal.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

dirtyleafcigars

Yeah like DonM said, we sell all cigars that are not full boxes in bags that are sometimes in transit for a week or more. We've never had an issue on the other side save damage from being bumped around.

Joelala

A lot of 5 packs are wrapped and stored in plastic. The celo I believe is plastic. I do not think there is a problem with zip locks. I have even found that after some time ziplocks smell more like cigars than cigars smell like plastic.
Joe

sauraspop

Just wondering, why is it that you should only keep cigars in zip locks for a few days or weeks when the makers of cigars shrink wrap their boxes and then stack them on other shrink wrapped boxes, for years and years, before they are sold or distributed to retailers. Then the retailer also leaves the boxes shrink wrapped, if they got them that way from the wholesaler, and delivers them that way to their customers. Anybody that ever bought a box online, it probably came shrink wrapped. Seems to me if the RH and temperature is stable where you want it, then why not store in baggies? I recently bought a bunch of the 5 finger baggies to store my stash and have planned to keep each baggie sealed for long time storage (which probably won't be more than a few years for most of them (as I will be going in and out of my coolidors every week or so to replenish my daily wooden humis). Just my two cents. If I am wrong about this tell me why please.
Sammy - Semper Vigilis

Be carful what you wish for, You may get it! Ray Wylie Hubbard (Mother Blues)

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake. ~ Cliffy ~

ROTHNH

I agree with fellow Geeks here -- storing cigars in plastic (likeZip-Loc freezer bags) for a month or less, along with a suitable humidifying device should work fine.  

I also like to stress, however, that I wouldn't suggest stuffing too many cigars in a large plastic bag and tossing a single HumiCare, Bodeva, or DryMistStat in with them -- keep the number down to 25 sticks or less per bag.

FWIW, Iwan Ries sells some reusable mylar bags that also protect the contents from light -- they sell for $1 each  and hold two ounces of pipe tobacco, or a 5 pack or more of most robusto-size or so cigars.  These "Perma-Moist" bags, thicker and less permeable than other plastic bags, will keep the contents suitably "fresh" for several months, or longer when used with a humidification device.  

http://www.iwanries.com/PermaMoist-Tobacco-Bags-P11008C520.cfm

conditionZero

Quotesauraspop - 3/10/2014  11:18 AM  Just wondering, why is it that you should only keep cigars in zip locks for a few days or weeks when the makers of cigars shrink wrap their boxes and then stack them on other shrink wrapped boxes, for years and years, before they are sold or distributed to retailers. Then the retailer also leaves the boxes shrink wrapped, if they got them that way from the wholesaler, and delivers them that way to their customers. Anybody that ever bought a box online, it probably came shrink wrapped. Seems to me if the RH and temperature is stable where you want it, then why not store in baggies? I recently bought a bunch of the 5 finger baggies to store my stash and have planned to keep each baggie sealed for long time storage (which probably won't be more than a few years for most of them (as I will be going in and out of my coolidors every week or so to replenish my daily wooden humis). Just my two cents. If I am wrong about this tell me why please.

Sammy, the shrink wrapped boxes that you speak of are (hopefully) kept in a properly humidified environment. Thomas is asking about Ziploc bags as the sole source of protection against the elements. That's the difference, if I'm understanding this thread and your question properly.

--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

hebron

Yes Joe, that was my question :-)
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Ken Kelley

QuoteROTHNH - 3/10/2014  12:35 AM

I agree with fellow Geeks here -- storing cigars in plastic (likeZip-Loc freezer bags) for a month or less, along with a suitable humidifying device should work fine.  

I also like to stress, however, that I wouldn't suggest stuffing too many cigars in a large plastic bag and tossing a single HumiCare, Bodeva, or DryMistStat in with them -- keep the number down to 25 sticks or less per bag.

FWIW, Iwan Ries sells some reusable mylar bags that also protect the contents from light -- they sell for $1 each  and hold two ounces of pipe tobacco, or a 5 pack or more of most robusto-size or so cigars.  These "Perma-Moist" bags, thicker and less permeable than other plastic bags, will keep the contents suitably "fresh" for several months, or longer when used with a humidification device.  

http://www.iwanries.com/PermaMoist-Tobacco-Bags-P11008C520.cfm

Heh! That's what they used to tell us all about MRE's! "Sealed in a pouch and stays fresh for years!"

I don't think I would want to keep fine cigars in such a device for long periods.  :biggrin:

ROTHNH

QuoteKen Kelley - 3/10/2014  2:05 PM

Heh! That's what they used to tell us all about MRE's! "Sealed in a pouch and stays fresh for years!"

I don't think I would want to keep fine cigars in such a device for long periods.  :biggrin:

I've a friend who's been using these Iwan Ries bags for years to store bulk pipe tobacco -- he'son a fixed income and he uses these bags to store 2 ounces of bulk blends for his rotation with excellent results.

I see zero issue with using these mylar bags for storing cigars for a few months or so, or longer with a HumiCare pillow,or similar humidification device.

sauraspop

:hitme: My mistake, thought he was talking about storage in a humi.  I need to be more careful, I have a habit of not understanding what I read sometimes, probably cause I'm an old f... and drink too much. 
Sammy - Semper Vigilis

Be carful what you wish for, You may get it! Ray Wylie Hubbard (Mother Blues)

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake. ~ Cliffy ~

Ken Kelley

QuoteROTHNH - 3/10/2014  2:15 AM

QuoteKen Kelley - 3/10/2014  2:05 PM

I've a friend who's been using these Iwan Ries bags for years to store bulk pipe tobacco -- he'son a fixed income and he uses these bags to store 2 ounces of bulk blends for his rotation with excellent results.

I see zero issue with using these mylar bags for storing cigars for a few months or so, or longer with a HumiCare pillow,or similar humidification device.

I can see using them for pipe tobacco with no problem at all since people I know keep it sealed up in mason jars for months or years at a time. However, I wouldn't be comfortable keeping cigars in them for similar periods because the two forms of tobacco are not the same beast. Just instinct speaking, not empirical evidence. I'd be interested to see how this works out in an experiment of some kind. We need a scientist here.

:biggrin:

hebron

Thank you all for your insight :-) That calmed my nerves a bit... hehe :crazy:
- Thomas

gitfiddl

I've stored cigars in the heavier freezer zip-locs (with the addition of a humidifier) in a dark drawer for several months with no ill effects.  
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Ken Kelley

Quotegitfiddl - 3/10/2014  6:58 AM

I've stored cigars in the heavier freezer zip-locs (with the addition of a humidifier) in a dark drawer for several months with no ill effects.  

Heh! Yeah, but those Thompson blends you favor are embalmed rather than cured so a dark place out of the sun is pretty much the natural environment for them!  :biggrin:

Mojo66

QuoteKen Kelley - 3/10/2014  7:17 PM  
Quotegitfiddl - 3/10/2014  6:58 AM  I've stored cigars in the heavier freezer zip-locs (with the addition of a humidifier) in a dark drawer for several months with no ill effects.  
Heh! Yeah, but those Thompson blends you favor are embalmed rather than cured so a dark place out of the sun is pretty much the natural environment for them!  :biggrin:

:lmao:  

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

gitfiddl

QuoteMojo66 - 3/10/2014  7:37 PM

QuoteKen Kelley - 3/10/2014  7:17 PM  
Quotegitfiddl - 3/10/2014  6:58 AM  I've stored cigars in the heavier freezer zip-locs (with the addition of a humidifier) in a dark drawer for several months with no ill effects.  

And the horses y'all rode in on!   :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

:puncher:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

gitfiddl

But if you can find the 2-gallon bags, you can store her in it, too!

tvolball

I can't see it being a problem other then the seal probably isn't very good and there might be some leakage. To me it would be the same as a tupperdor only it's flexible
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

gitfiddl

Quotetvolball - 3/10/2014  8:24 PM

I can't see it being a problem other then the seal probably isn't very good and there might be some leakage. To me it would be the same as a tupperdor only it's flexible

Leakage only occurs once a month and you're right about her flexibility... :biggrin:
 :shy:

conditionZero

--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

gitfiddl

QuoteconditionZero - 3/10/2014  8:41 PM

There goes this thread...

What?  It's all about storage.  I hear tell that Ken's looking for a zip-loc to fit this guy...

conditionZero

:-0

Wait, that doesn't do it justice...

:-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0

Crap. Still didn't do it justice.

--JOE--

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.